tetra316

GPS

I've been wanting one for my car for awhile but have no idea what to look for nor what brand to get: Magellan, Garmin, TomTom. Was thinking about getting one of those on sale next weekend for about $100. What should I look for?

How do the road updates work? I would think the cheaper models do not come with updates but the more expensive ones do?

quick answer-Garmin has the best maps. Text to speach is much handier that you might think, get it if possible.

I've been happy with both Nuvis that Ive had even though the first one didn't bounce as well as I wished when I dropped it. If you go Nuvi-get wide screen
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I bought my wife a Tom-Tom, works really good, easy to see and control.

Me? I just use VZ Navigator on my verizon phone - better than the Tom-Tom - Of course, I'm a guy and don't really need directions when I drive, I just like getting my money's worth out of my phone. :P

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

If you live in a place with a lot of traffic, really consider the various traffic rerouting AIs. I haven't personally been keeping updated as much as I should, but even crappy live and semi-intelligent traffic rerouting is usually worth the effort in some place like Los Angeles.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Make sure to check out ebay. I was able to find one (Nuvi360 I think) that was top of the line a couple years back for the same price as bottom of the line units being sold in stores.

With Garmin you have the option of paying for individual updates when you choose, or buying a lifetime subscription that gives you up to 4 updates per year. The subscription is well worth it.
Killing threads since 2004.

If you live in a place with a lot of traffic, really consider the various traffic rerouting AIs. I haven't personally been keeping updated as much as I should, but even crappy live and semi-intelligent traffic rerouting is usually worth the effort in some place like Los Angeles.

this is pretty key for any city travel... its why I now use my phone (Google Maps Navigation on my Droid) instead of my Garmin Nuvi ...which aside from the lack of real time traffic updates is an excellent GPS and has the option (at least the model I had which wasnt the cheapest) for topographic maps as well as Road navigation

The subscription is well worth it.

Warning-the update subscription is unit specific. When I broke mine and bought a new one I couldn't transfer the new one. I could send mine back in adn get it repaired for next to nothing but I was in Nowhere, AL and just bought a replacement to finish the week with.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I've been wanting one for my car for awhile but have no idea what to look for nor what brand to get: Magellan, Garmin, TomTom. Was thinking about getting one of those on sale next weekend for about $100. What should I look for?

How do the road updates work? I would think the cheaper models do not come with updates but the more expensive ones do?

Garmin GPS for Truckers