Daane

Magicjack

Ok so i just got my 30 day trial and have been calling friends all over the country. Have had perfect reception and not one glitch. if the service continues to be good we are going to send one to japan with a frien in a week and see how that goes.
I was wondering if anyone else has had any expeience with Magicjack good or bad would like to know, and if you are using internet based phone what do you use

I went Skype instead. Costs me less then $50 a year for the phone number and service. I am getting a USB to phone line adapter for an additional $20 and all my portable and wired phones will work again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have had a magicjack for about 6 months and for less than $2 a month I am happy with it. A friend of mine sells these small computers that you hook the magicjack up to so it can run 24/7 with minimal power usage and your regular computer doesn't have to be connected to the internet all the time. I now have mine set up so that I can use both of the regular phone jacks in the house with a cordless phone using the magicjack service. Plus I have a laptop so if I want to travel with it I can, just have to have access to a regular phone to plug in and a wireless internet connection and I have phone service.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

Yep, I have used all of the above (since I am a telecom guy).... My current setup:

1) Home Phone: Vonage @ 14.99/mo (long time ago BellSouth $79/mo)
2) Business Line: Skype @ $30.00/YEAR (yes, YEAR)
3) Internet: Cable company @ $42/mo
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Almost two years since the original post...

...so what do people using Magic Jack think about it now? I haven't had a home phone since 1999, but I'm considering it in order to have a secondary way for work to reach me when my cell phone loses it's signal (only about 10% of the time, but can cost me $$$ but not getting a call).

I saw they have a free trial on the internet and am probably going to take advantage.

Chiquita...is it a little netbook or something you are hooked up to?

I have my old P3 desktop I'm considering just sticking in the closet and leaving on to use as networked storage and think the Magic Jack would work just fine on it.
Killing threads since 2004.

I heard that using it on wireless as well as satellite internet was a problem. Maybe they fixed it in recent years. Anyone know the answer?

The issue with VOIP and satellite is about latency.
The only fix would be to change the laws of physics.
Recommended maximum latency for VOIP is 150ms.
A link using a geosynchronous satellite is ~250ms.
The problem with high latency is that people will keep talking over each other.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I heard that using it on wireless as well as satellite internet was a problem. Maybe they fixed it in recent years. Anyone know the answer?

I expect I would have trouble using it on my wireless as it somewhat frequently drops a signal (because I'm too cheap to go buy a new router until this one completely quits). I plan on running a wire to the computer I use if I do it.

I've never had any trouble with Skype on my Macbook, but I don't plan on leaving it running all the time like I would the older PC. Skype was always hit or miss on the PC, thought it was mainly the video that was hit or miss, not the audio.
Killing threads since 2004.

The issue with VOIP and satellite is about latency.
The only fix would be to change the laws of physics.
Recommended maximum latency for VOIP is 150ms.
A link using a geosynchronous satellite is ~250ms.
The problem is that with high latency is that people will keep talking over each other.

Uhh yeah. I will take your word for it.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I used a Magicjack while I was in Iraq. Went very well. It was really cool that people could place a local call and reach me on another continent. Then, it has voicemail that goes to you via email. I loved it.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.