skymama

So who's watching the start of the Olympics tonight?

I always look forward to seeing who the final torch bearer will be. What I'm hearing now is it's between Wayne Gretzky and Lady GaGa . . .

NickD :)

Lady Gaga??? She grew up in a NYC borough... or was that sarcasm? :P

What about Eddie "The eagle"? Is he Canadian? :D

Wow! I had no idea that they knew anything about hockey in Alabama! LOL.

Billy, that would be Ed Belfour and yes he is a Canuck :D

Actually, Huntsville, AL, where I grew up, is home to the southern-most major college hockey team, the UAH Chargers. About 80% of their players come from the frozen north. They were NCAA Div I for a short time, but I think is now Div II. They've beaten a few NCAA powerhouses from up north. And Huntsville has a youth ice hockey league too! ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Lady Gaga??? She grew up in a NYC borough... or was that sarcasm? :P

What about Eddie "The eagle"? Is he Canadian? :D

I believe Eddie the Eagle Edwards was British.

I think you may be right. I can barely remember a British reference....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh, you mean the giant Polo/Ralph Lauren commercial?

Sorry, that's another thread...

Actually we won't be watching: we're going to see Ralphie May on stage tonight. Otherwise, I'd probably cast a glance in the direction of the Olympics for sure.

Elvisio "despite the crappy RL uniforms" Rodriguez

Don't the Olympics need more snow? Can't we get all this white crap out of the south and send it up there? >:(;)

I've got one inch of snow on the ground right now in central Alabama and its still snowing. :|

reply]

I like a little curling . . .

You gotta be talkin' about 12 oz. curls. My favorite also but that's the Summer Games. :)
I have never been a fan of the opening ceromonies until the Bejing Olympics. I'll be watching these but I don't see how they can top the Chinese.

As far as which events I'll watch, the Alpine Skiing will get me fired up. I still remember Franz Klammer in the '76 games comming down the hill on the razors edge of disaster. If anyone ever wanted to know what "going for it" means, all they have to do is watch that film/vidio/DVD. And Short Track Speed Skating is fun to watch. Those guys race like NASCAR drivers. I would like to see the track a little longer and maybe in the shape "kidney". A long oval with the sides pushed in. It might give them more chances to pass.

Anyway, watching people compete on that level is always a thrill. Looking at their eyes, you can tell who's trying to win and who's trying not to lose.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

It's not my fault. I spent too much time with you gun loving Americans. :ph34r:

BTW ... if the planets align, later this year I will own a M-14 clone. :o

Bring on the Biathlon with their wimpy .22s

PS: I will never forget the party at Josh's house when all you guys were running around shooting each other with pellet guns.
Too funny I say, too funny.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Actually we won't be watching: we're going to see Ralphie May on stage tonight. Otherwise, I'd probably cast a glance in the direction of the Olympics for sure.

we'll be setting up the DVDR for tonight as I'll be out celebrating another year gone by. :D How appropriate for the Olympics to celebrate my birthday with such a show! Thanks guys! B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

We're not entirely sure yet.

I've polled some friends on another message board for some rules. Some of the suggestions are:

Everytime you see a pair of the red mittens on T.V - drink a shot;

Everytime you see something about Visa, McDonalds, or Coke, take a shot;

Knock back a shot of Jager every time a former Olympian with zero broadcasing experience stumbles their way through a commentary. Two for every time they say, "The Canadians really worked hard for this, Brian."

I think it'll be a lot of fun :)

We're not entirely sure yet.

I've polled some friends on another message board for some rules. Some of the suggestions are:

Everytime you see a pair of the red mittens on T.V - drink a shot;

Everytime you see something about Visa, McDonalds, or Coke, take a shot;

Knock back a shot of Jager every time a former Olympian with zero broadcasing experience stumbles their way through a commentary. Two for every time they say, "The Canadians really worked hard for this, Brian."

I think it'll be a lot of fun :)

You would die of alcohol poisoning very quickly.

Well, I'm sorta watching. The opening ceremony is on tv while I'm grading exams. I'll probably try to actually watch the ice skating events, but since I'm teaching 6 classes, it will be multi-tasking most of the time. There's always something to grade![:/]

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Definately, working in a ski shop in Park City UT I have a lot of interaction with the skiing athletes so I gotta cheer them on. If ya'll could send good vibes to my friend Heather McPhie who will be competing in moguls tomorrow and because of an awsome year she is currently ranked #2 in the world and has an excellent chance of medaling Yeehaw.

~kyle

Me, me, me, me, me! :)
I LOVE the Olympics and am looking forward to seeing the opening ceremony tonight. I like the Summer Olympics better, but I'll still spend hours watching the competitions and the touchy-feely stories.

Are you going to watch? What sports are your favorites?

Me. And I LOVE it so far.

Quite cool.

I'm rooting for the little teams!!! :)
'Shell