ridestrong

-Olympics- current events discussion.

Dude that OZ is even IN the winter olympics is a huge WIN for us, the amount of snow we get in this country in a year would not cover a decent ski run in the states or canada:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Funny... apparantly the amount of now they get at Cypres Mountain isn't EVEN enough to cover a decent ski run in Canada!

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Dude that OZ is even IN the winter olympics is a huge WIN for us,

nice Silver in Men's Moguls....never mind that the dude is really canadian lol

(And one weird MF...please whatever you do, don't show emotion)

Athletes change countries all the time. That's not the only one... There's a female ice skater from Japan that's competing for Russia, I think. Hell, even trainers and coaches work for other countries. I think South Korea had a short track speed skating coach that now coaches the American skaters.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Country G - S - B - Total

Germany Germany 3 4 2 9
United States United States 2 2 4 8
France France 2 1 4 7
Canada Canada 2 2 1 5
Korea Korea 3 1 0 4
Switzerland Switzerland 3 0 1 4
China China 1 1 1 3
Austria Austria 0 2 1 3
Norway Norway 0 2 1 3
Italy Italy 0 1 2 3
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Not offcial yet, but soon you can add a Gold and a Silver to the USA's total.

Two Amercan girls have kicked some serious butt in the alpine skiing downhill event. 35 of 45 racers have already finished and there has been a delay because of a crash. But I can't see any of the remaining 10 skiers challenging. They are the lesser talented skiers and the course has warmed up.

BTW ... Lindsey Vonn (US girl sitting in first) is hot hot hot ... smoking hot B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

We're watching the Curling competition right now, US vs the Swiss. Now I've seen snippets of Curling all my life but never really knew what was going on. They certainly get really excited, but about what?

Can anybody out there give me a quick primer?

NickD :)

We're watching the Curling competition right now, US vs the Swiss. Now I've seen snippets of Curling all my life but never really knew what was going on. They certainly get really excited, but about what?

Can anybody out there give me a quick primer?

they get excited about winning or coming close to winning, as in any game.

but it's kinda like lawn bowls on ice and just as exciting to those who dont play it:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nick: the best part of curling is when the ladies play, and the skip start yelling "HARDER HARDER HARDER" to the sweepers... :ph34r:

There's quite a bit of strategy. If you score a point (or more) by having stones closer to the center of the ice, you end up "giving up: last stone on the next in, which is a huge advange to have... That's why you will see lots of ins with no sores: a team will prefer to not get any point (if they only have a possibility of 1 point) rather than giving up last stone.

Remster

Well, it's over. The US, according to the announcers, "Lost in a heart breaker!" But I still have no idea why.

All I got was it's like cruise ship shuffle board without all the bars and great food. And like Italian boccie ball except no guy from the Mafia caps your ass for a bad throw.

Other than that . . . WTF?

Hockey's on now, I'm down with that.

That was low Nick; funny but low.

-Curling is a lot like shuffleboard. The game has 10 ends in which they take turns throwing the rocks down the ice.
-Each player throws two rocks for a total of 8 per team.
-After the last rock is thrown the team with the rock(s) closest to the centre "button" scores points. 1 point for each rock that is closer than the other team's closest. Rocks must be in the rings to score.
-The team that scores will throw first in the next end. Scoring one point is generally considered an unsuccessful end as you give up the "hammer" or last rock. "Stealing" a point when you do not have last rock is like breaking serve in tennis, very good.
The rock has "heft" and "curl." The curl is caused by spinning the rock as you release it. The rock does not curl until it slows down (similar to a late breaking slider). The sweepers raise the temperature of the ice which lowers the friction coefficient. This will make the rock go further and will delay the point at which the rock begins to curl. The commentators will speak of "sweeping the rock past the guard."

Wikipedia has a good entry on Curling.

I don't watch it a lot but have played a little and it is really a game of skill and strategy. I like watching teams like Canada's Kevin Martin who will keep a lot of stones in play and is amazing to watch on some of the raises he plays....a raise is when the stone just delivered hits a stone already on the ice to hit another stone or just raise it up into scoring position....like a combination shot in pool/billiards. The accuracy and judgment required in delivery, watching the stone and deciding whether to sweep or not is impressive on these shots.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Andrew and Murray got it ALMOST totally correct.

It's a cerebral game of chess played on ice. If that doesn't interest you, perhaps this will: http://www.ecf-web.org/calendar.html

The curlers featured within are some of the World's elite. To save you a paltry investment to sample the wares, I've attached 4 selected images of the curlers featured within it. Please note, these images are all copyright photographer Ana Arce from Spain.

This ain't your Grandpa's game anymore.

John

(Edited to add) Did I mention I have tickets to both the Medal Games of the Women's Curling in Vancouver? Drool on, suckers :)

Not offcial yet, but soon you can add a Gold and a Silver to the USA's total.

Two Amercan girls have kicked some serious butt in the alpine skiing downhill event. 35 of 45 racers have already finished and there has been a delay because of a crash. But I can't see any of the remaining 10 skiers challenging. They are the lesser talented skiers and the course has warmed up.

BTW ... Lindsey Vonn (US girl sitting in first) is hot hot hot ... smoking hot B|

The women's downhill was way better than the men's this time. That course looked fucking hardcore - Great racing!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The women's downhill was way better than the men's this time. That course looked fucking hardcore - Great racing

Lindsey Vonn is back kicking some more ass today during the Downhill portion of the Women's Super-Combined event (medals only get awarded until after the slalom portion of the event). There is a German girl currently 2nd place who had a good run and Lindsey's teammate Julia Mancuso 3rd place also has a competitive time. But these three girls are pretty much out classing the rest of the field in the Downhill discipline of this event.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

G S B Total
United States 5 4 6 15
Germany 4 4 3 11
France France 2 1 4 7
Canada Canada 2 3 1 6
Norway Norway 2 2 2 6
Korea Korea 3 2 0 5
Austria Austria 1 2 2 5
Switzerland 3 0 1 4
China China 2 1 1 4
Italy Italy 0 1 3 4

------------------------------------------------
Congrats to Lindsay Vonn with a kick ass run.

Shawn White is f'n sick no one can compete with that mofo.

On a sad note... womens half pipe blows.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----