ridestrong

-Olympics- current events discussion.

Heard during Czech vs Russian Hockey . . .

One announcer asks the other, "What language are they speaking down there?" To which the other announcer answers, "On the Czech bench they're speaking Czech, on the Russian bench they're speaking Russian. And on the ice, to each other they use English, but it ain't very nice."

LOL . . .

NickD :)

Heard during Czech vs Russian Hockey . . .

One announcer asks the other, "What language are they speaking down there?" To which the other announcer answers, "On the Czech bench they're speaking Czech, on the Russian bench they're speaking Russian. And on the ice, to each other they use English, but it ain't very nice."

LOL . . .

NickD :)

Excellent!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

5:3?

Really?

Really.

Ryan Miller was terrific in net for the US and Marty Brodeur just wasn't his calm self...he did a couple of weird things. I don't expect he'll be the starter going forward. The announcers all pick Luongo but you know what...I'd put Marc Andre-Fleury in there. I never used to think he was good enough to win a Cup with the Penguins but he proved me wrong last year. It's time to play the young guys. Pronger and Niedermayer were weak on defense and I think it is time to pass the torch to the young guys.

Team USA played a smart game and weathered some incredible pressure from Canada but Ryan Miller was the difference to my mind.

If Canada gets Russia in the quarters....look out.....it could be another medal-less Olympics. So much for the people yapping about Canada having enough players for two teams.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Yesterday was the first Olympic coverage that I've been able to see. It so happened that I got all three of my favorite sports:
(1) Curling;
(2) Biathlon; and
(3) Hockey

I love curling because of the skill, finesse and strategy involved.

Biathlon - I'm simply in awe of these folks. They do x-country and then, with high heartbeat and adrenaline, they've gotta shoot for marksmanship. Un-fucking believeable whaþ these athletes do.

And hockey - yes. The good old hockey game is the best game you can name. Aned the best game you can name is the good old hockey game.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

5:3?

Really?

Remmy did you see the game?

Canada played much better against the USA than they did against Switzerland. But the US goalie (Ryan Miller) played very well, the USA team capitalized on Canada's mistakes while Canada could not capitalized on the USA's mistakes and the hockey Gods were just not kind to Canada on this day. A bounce here or a bounce there and the final result could have been different. But the better team won on this day. I say the better team since the last time I checked, the goaltender is a member of the team and the USA got a much better effort from their goalie than Canada got from theirs (though Canada should not be blaming this defeat solely on the shoulders of their goalie Martin Brodeur).

If Canada wants to win the gold they will have to do it the hard way. But the USA is not assured of anything yet either. What we watched last night was a preliminary game where losing is not the end of the tournament. But now the real fun starts. Starting tomorrow, no team can afford to lose. All teams better bring their "A" game if they want to advance.

PS: Alpine skiing is still my favorite Winter Olympic event followed closely by hockey.
All other sports are "shite" ... just kidding ... haha

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think the score was actually 4-3 for the USA until they got an open net goal in the last few seconds (pulled the goalie out?)

Yes the score was 4-3 with about 45 or so seconds left in the game ... but the empty net goal does count and LOL even here in Canada that empty net goal is being talked about as one of the best empty net goals ever to be scored in the history of hockey. We are going to have to start using mirrors on our helmets (or use a HUD) to know when someone is coming hard at us from behind instead of lolly-gagging our way back into the zone to retrieve the puck. :ph34r:

I liked Olympic hockey until they turned it into an NHL All-Star game.

With the exception of 1980, it used to be an "Hockey tournament dominated by communist All-Stars". :o

BTW the women's tournament is using non-NHLers and the girls are very good hockey players. But to put things into perspective, while preparing for the Olympics the Canadian Women's National Team often played exhibition games against boy's Midget "AAA" teams.

Seriously Shawn White couldn't have won by more, his "victory lap" run scored higher than his "winning" run. Kid is nutz

Highly entertaining interview with Shaun White by Steven Colbert:

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/2010/02/23/colbert-interviews-shaun-white/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total

United States 7 9 10 26
Germany 7 9 7 23
Norway Norway 6 5 6 17
Russia 3 4 6 13
Canada Canada 6 4 1 11
Korea Korea 5 4 1 10
Austria Austria 4 3 3 10
France France 2 3 5 10
Switzerland 6 0 2 8
Sweden Sweden 3 2 2 7
Netherlands 3 1 2 6
China China 3 1 1 5
Poland Poland 0 3 1 4
Italy Italy 0 1 3 4
Slovakia 1 1 1 3
Czech Republic 1 0 2 3
Japan Japan 0 1 2 3
Australia 1 1 0 2
Latvia Latvia 0 2 0 2
Belarus Belarus 0 1 1 2
Croatia Croatia 0 1 1 2
Slovenia 0 1 1 2
Great Britain 1 0 0 1
Estonia Estonia 0 1 0 1
Finland Finland 0 1 0 1
Kazakhstan 0 1 0 1
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Two things about tonight -

Hats off to Joannie Rochette of Canada for skating a personal best (3rd overall) in figure skating 2 days after losing her mother. She skated an excellent program under very difficult circumstances.

Latvia ALMOST knocked off the Czechs in the qualification game. They surprised them with two third period goals and took it to overtime. Very early in overtime they nearly won it when a shoot-in just wide of the Czech net came off the boards and hit Vokoun in the pads but it bounced just clear of the Czech net. However, it was not to be as the Czechs eventually scored.

The Latvian Junior team was adopted by the fans at the World Junior Championships here 2 months ago. Great kids and very happy just to be playing against the top teams. Even though they had no chance they played their guts out. It would have been an awesome boost to their hockey program to get a win over the Czechs...hell, just taking them to overtime is a victory in a lot of ways.

Tomorrow - Canada - Russia......Anybody's game I think. I don't like Luongo in net for Canada but I'm hoping he has a good night.
--
Murray

Two things about tonight -

Hats off to Joannie Rochette of Canada for skating a personal best (3rd overall) in figure skating 2 days after losing her mother. She skated an excellent program under very difficult circumstances.

Definitely a tear-jerker. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hats off to Joannie Rochette of Canada for skating a personal best (3rd overall) in figure skating 2 days after losing her mother. She skated an excellent program under very difficult circumstances

She is definitely a strong woman during such a difficult time in her family's life.

Tomorrow - Canada - Russia......Anybody's game I think

Like most games, it will come down to who's goalie is hot. The other night against the USA Ryan Miller was the hot goalie. But tonight is a new night. Go Canada ...

PS: I will be watching the game on the "Olympic Broadcasting Service" accessible through the CTV website. I prefer this feed because there are no TV commentators, less commercials and it is almost like you are there at the game. Nothing but the sounds of the game play and the sounds of the crowd.

Well, I feel like Canada played up to their potential tonight...and the Russian coach stuck with Nabokov too long. Awesome win for Canada!
--
Murray