FreeflyChile

SUV recommendation

Hi all,

So my fiancee and I are in the market for a new-to-us car.

Due to necessities of daily use, the car is probably going to be an SUV and absolutely MUST have 3rd row seating. We have a budget of 30k.

So far, we've looked at a bunch of Nissan Armadas, which seem to be the leading contender, Jeep Commanders (she really liked the loaded one we saw, less miles and cheaper), a Land Rover LR3 (likely won't go this route -- too many bad things said about the Land Rover reliability). I want us to see the Audi Q7 as well, and we've looked at the Mercedes R class, but finding those within the price range is difficult.

We don't like the Honda or Acura SUVs, and haven't really looked at Ford or GM yet but probably should just to see what they're like.

I've been trying to look for cars that are 2006 or newer, having less than 50k miles as a starting point.

Any recommendations or specific things to look out for? Thanks!

Why is third row seating important? Is it that you need to move 7-8 people or just more then 5? That adjusts the options if you need the 8th person.

One thing to look at is if you ever plan on towing anything behind it making sure the hitch class is high enough for what you want. If you want a little pop up trailer almost anything can tow it but if you want something larger then get enough truck/SUV to pull it with a lot of power left over.

Also you need to consider if you want 2WD or 4WD. There is a large price difference in them and there are additional considerations with parts wearing on the different models.

Another option that you might not have considered is the Crossover class. Ford has the Flex that is a SUV with 3rd row seating built on a car frame instead of a truck. Its less expensive then a full size SUV and the main things you are giving up are ground clearance, power and towing since it maxes out at 4500 lbs towing. It does get better mileage and the insurance was a bit cheaper when we were looking at them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Any chance of considering a Honda Oddysey? Yeah I know its a minivan. We have one now and it has the 3rd row seats, which can flip backwards and collapse into the floor. The middle row seats can be removed if needed. Ours is currently set up to have both of our kids car seats strapped on the two outside middle row seats. It's got sliding doors on both sides. And the middle seat in the middle row can be removed to allow access to the 3rd row. Very versatile. Although ours is a V6, it has some serious get up and go power. I was really surprised.

If you really need the extra clearance underneath that most large SUVs has, well then, you need the SUV.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One car you might want to consider is the Suzuki XL7. They have a lower resale value than most but have a 10year 100000 mile warranty that follows the vehicle regardless of how many have owned it. You should be able to find a fully loaded late model with under 30000 miles for under $20000. My father and brother both own one and like them alot, they also come with third row seating.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

What do you not like about the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX?

Designed in Ohio (I helped), built in Canada or Alabama.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Expedition/Navigator. Both great (same) and will fit you budget. Plus you can pull more with these than alot of others. I goes back to what someone else said, depends if you want better gas mlg. or towing.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hi everyone,

I meant to reply to this before, but thanks for the input.

We ended up going with a used 2007 Nissan Pathfinder - and I love it! We also got the dealer to throw in a free DVD player (my fiancee hauls kids around a lot).

We got 4 wheel drive - several Chicago winters of having a 2wd Trailblazer made that an easy decision.

To answer some of the questions - the 3rd row is to principally haul kids around or adults + kids (but rarely would adults sit in the rear row) so a huge car wasn't really necessary. We liked the Armada a lot but in the city the Pathfinder makes a lot more sense (in terms of size and also for mileage).

As far as Hondas/Acuras - I know they are really great cars as far as reliability, but neither one of us liked the design of the SUVs...which was too bad..I have a soft spot for the Civic and wished the SUVs were as simply elegant as the Civic.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the car!

Thanks!

We test drove an LR3, and it was very nice - I personally like the Land Rovers, but it wasn't right for us right now.

My dad had a 1997 Discovery that he took immaculate care of and while it lasted a good amount of miles, there were TONS of issues with it very early on in terms of electrical, transmission, etc. For the price we could afford to pay, we'd be getting a used one with a fair amount of miles, and my experience seeing my dad's combined with the generally negative reliability reviews steered us away from it.