bkoch

Soft opening canopies

My Safire has NEVER spanked me, not even a little bit.

That thing used to pop the fuck out of me before I got the mod done....after the mod...it's like falling into warm ice cream...yummy.

I just had new lines put on it, with hooknswoop's specs for the control lines like before, hopefully it will remain that way. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

There are bad apples amonst all of them. I had a ZP170 that opened like a dream every time, a Hornet 150 that spanked the shit out of me until I tamed it, and a brand new sabre2 150 that dives to the right on opening. During training I jumped a fury220 that caused the worst bruising I ever had, but a PD F111 canopy that was like falling into pillows. The harder you look the more you will find people's experiences to be the opposite of mine. Hit and miss. Parachutes are too complex to be totally predictable.

I can't believe no one mentioned the Stiletto.

you've gotta be f**king kidding arent ya?

spin/spankletto. no way that is a 'soft' opening canopy. you're probably just used to it or pack it a special way?

ha ha ha
:P

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Compared to basically everything else on the market when the Stiletto was released, it opened really nicely, but by today's standards, it's not that impressive. I much prefer the openings of my Velo to the openings of my Stiletto. And nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to my old Crossfire (1) openings...

Canuck

it is the dacron lines that make it open slowly not the fact that it is a stilleto, the fact that it is a stilleto is probably the reason why it has dacron lines. norman kent is probably sponsered by p.d. an couldn't jump the crossfife he probably wanted to:P

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

you've gotta be f**king kidding arent ya?

No, not kidding. I've talked to lots of people who say that the Stiletto's they've jumped open very soft. Being a canopy wussy I have no personal experience on them.

Note that nothing was said about opening on heading or spinning up. ;)

Any canopy can spank you - I've seen stars from a Spectre opening more than once.

Spinletto?

My Stiletto opens up incredibly softly. And before you go calling it a Spinetto, grab some education first. The only reason they got that name is because it was the first mass elliptical on the market. People weren't used to having to be squared in the harness on opening or having to fly the opening on a canopy.

My Stiletto only slammed me once, but that was because it was out of trim. It usually snivels so long that on BirdMan jumps I have enough time to unzip my arm wings while it opens.:)
I believe it and the Spectre are built off of the same NACA number / planform if I've heard correctly.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I believe it and the Spectre are built off of the same NACA number / planform if I've heard correctly.

I can't see how that would have anything to do with how they open. Am I missing something? Or are you talking about the chances of it spinning up after opening?
Thanks.

What are the softest opening canopies on the market today?

Brad

Try the Aerodyne Pilot, great soft & on-heading openings. I think soft openings are not the only thing that make a canopy comfortable, also on-heading is very important for comfort.

Later
F

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

Any canopy can spank you - I've seen stars from a Spectre opening more than once.

i had hard full on openings on my crossfire too, but you know what? it wasn't the canopy it was the legstraps on my harness slipping when i was getting ready in the plane. i have added extra webbing to the legstraps and beautiful openings again!

how about that eh!