shyma

What is 10 years for used gear?

Hello boyzzz & girlzzz,

I am new in Skydiving, has got 77 jumps. Found a good used gear on the classifieds.

Good price, 50 jumps only. The only thing which puzzles me is that this gear has 10 years, DOM 1995. Cypress is new - 2nd version.

Rig: Tallon 2
Main: PD Sabre 170
Reserve: PD Reserve 176R

How do you think 10 years of just lying gear can influence on it's quality? What would you advise?

Thanks!

Blue Skies,
Volodymyr

Ditto. Have it checked by a qualified rigger. I recently purchased a rig that is 10 years old. It is in great shape and looks like it is brand new.

One thing to note is that it is very likely that a rig that old will probably need some work done on it to bring it up to current specs. I am not badmouthing Rigging Innovations, the maker of the Talon, just pointing out that all manufacturers have learned a lot in 10 years and it is very likely that you will need some bulletins and other recommended work done on the rig before it is safe to jump it. Of course everyone's definition of "safe" is different...

--
Mark N

I'm jumping a '96 Australian-made Talon. To make it freefly friendly, I needed to have bigger main teeth & a bridle cover put on. It's a good, tough rig. If it can take the abuse I subject it to without complaint, it's gotta be well made B|.

How do you think 10 years of just lying gear can influence on it's quality? What would you advise?

Thanks!

Blue Skies,
Volodymyr

I bought a 1966 Paracommander last year and made several jumps on it. MINT condition. B|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

My Javelin J1 was 10 years old when i bought it, and now it's 12 years old and it still looks like new. I had a bridle protector put on it and it's all good now, B|B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Get it to your rigger and have them look it over. 10 years can be nothing and it can be a lifetime depending on how they took care of it. So get a rigger to check it out.

The webbing used in the harness degrades over time. UV damages the gear very badly...And it is not visible damage.

A manufactorer found a roll of webbing that had been sitting in a controlled environment of about 7 years...After blowing the dust off they ran some pull tests on it....It had degraded almost 50%

Some suppliers of webbing are actually shipping stuff that is already several years old.

What does this mean? Not much since the harnesses are over engineered.

However there is talk about some companies grounding all gear after a certain number of years.

Why should company "A" be held accountable for a failure of a rig that was 15 years old? It happend with aviation where companies were being sued for planes that did not have the latest saftey equipment...even though back in 1930 when that plane was made no one had them. Liability almost killed general Aviation...

To answer the question....It should be OK, as always have a rigger you trust check it out.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The webbing used in the harness degrades over time. UV damages the gear very badly...And it is not visible damage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I disagree.
UV damage is easy to check.
By the time webbing has noticeably faded, its strength has degraded by 50 percent.

I disagree.
UV damage is easy to check.
By the time webbing has noticeably faded, its strength has degraded by 50 percent.

How about age?

Or how much is the strength gone before BEFORE it is easy to see?

Like I said tests were done on older materials that were kept inside and they showed to be weaker.

Also the only way I can think of checking the webbing is by a pull test...And that would most likley prove to be a destructive test.

Atleast one rig maker is tossing around the idea of a "life time" for their rigs. Some riggers will aready not pack things over 20 years old.

How do you feel about a "life time?"
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334