kalaniwavo

Rental Car Debacle....

I'm in a sticky situation with a rental car company and my insurance unfortunantly. Just wanted to hear what you guys thought or if you all have any suggestions. Here's the deal...

I recently took a quick weekend vacation to an outer island in Hawaii. While driving I "may or may not" have ran over something that inadvertently poked a hole in the oil pan. The oil light came on and I immediately call roadside assistance and stopped driving. They deliver a new car and take the broken car away. 3 weeks later I receive a bill for $3800 for a blown motor.

Ok.... so I'm just a shade tree mechanic but I KNOW the motor wasn't blown when it was towed away. Specifically, the tow truck operator had to move the car to get it into position to tow it. The engine was running with no knocking or white smoke . Looking through the itemized bill I'm absolutely getting gouged in administrative fees and loss use fees. My insurance has told me this is a mechanical issue not covered by insurance

so $3,800 is a shitload of money and I have excellent credit that I don't want to destroy! any ideas suggestions????

You could call them and try to work out a deal.

I totaled a rental car.......although my AMEX took care of it.

If you are worried about your credit.........you might want to pay it.
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

I'm in a sticky situation with a rental car company and my insurance unfortunantly. Just wanted to hear what you guys thought or if you all have any suggestions. Here's the deal...

I recently took a quick weekend vacation to an outer island in Hawaii. While driving I "may or may not" have ran over something that inadvertently poked a hole in the oil pan. The oil light came on and I immediately call roadside assistance and stopped driving. They deliver a new car and take the broken car away. 3 weeks later I receive a bill for $3800 for a blown motor.

Ok.... so I'm just a shade tree mechanic but I KNOW the motor wasn't blown when it was towed away. Specifically, the tow truck operator had to move the car to get it into position to tow it. The engine was running with no knocking or white smoke . Looking through the itemized bill I'm absolutely getting gouged in administrative fees and loss use fees. My insurance has told me this is a mechanical issue not covered by insurance

so $3,800 is a shitload of money and I have excellent credit that I don't want to destroy! any ideas suggestions????

Which credit card is it? Many cards have automatic insurance for car rentals. When you contact them, you should discuss with the credit card company about disputing the charges outright. Also, contact the rental agency and dispute the charge - citing that the vehicle was not blown when you called the incident in. If this is a major agency you should be able to get somewhere with them...hopefully.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

How long did you have the car? How many miles were on the car when you got it? How many when they towed it away? You should find these things out if you plan on disputing it. Unless the oil was already low when you got the car, there should have been time to pull over and call, tow and not blow, and the mileage should prove it.
Also, what make and model of car? We had a Mercury that had THREE engines in it's first 6 months of life because of a defect. We gave it back when the third engine was needed. It had less than 15,000 total miles on it.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

While driving I "may or may not" have ran over something that inadvertently poked a hole in the oil pan.

LMAO.....without knowing more details all I can do is laugh...

In reality you were prob smashing and crashing a rental over the back roads and half ripped the oil pan off the vehicle....

oil pans are not weak unless steel, old and quite rusted..... is that the case?

Did you shut the engine off in time? can not say...Is the rental company trying to screw you? very possible...

tell the truth and give all the details if you want a honest professional opinion

Admit nothing. Put the blame on them and ask what they intend to do about renting you a vehicle that was defective. In other words you want to be compensated for your inconvenience, like a complete refund.

Furthermore, advise them you have no intention on paying for a problem caused by others and if they try to slam the bill on your credit card you will have it removed via a fraudulent chargeback, something they probably don't want.

You can indeed dispute the charge and the burden then becomes theirs.

This should not effect your credit but if it does show up on any reports you can dispute it and have it removed.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Or . . . maybe - fess up and do the honest thing. That's just a thought though.[/reply

I understood that there was no knocking or indication that an engine was blown, and there may or may not have been a road hazard, so any dishonesty sounds like
its coming from the company looking for a free engine.

You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I recently took a quick weekend vacation to an outer island in Hawaii. While driving I "may or may not" have ran over something that inadvertently poked a hole in the oil pan.

There are certain roads in Hawaii that the car rental companies don't allow you to travel on. If the car becomes disabled on one of those roads you're out of luck. On the Big Island of Hawaii there are three roads that I recall are not allowed; the Saddle road, the road to Waipio Valley, and I think a road on the south side going to the green sand beach.

The Big Island is the only one I am familiar with in this regard but the other islands may have similar prohibited roads.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

i'd tell them to kiss your ass...II had a rental company in Hawaii try to nail me for 500 for a tailight that wasn;t broken...fuck them, I said fuck off, and never head from them again...no report to my credit either!

If one can assume by the tone of the "May or may not" that it is closer to MAY . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I find it hard to give an opinion on this. Did you run over something? Was it intentional?

If it was a pure accident, it seems like something that should be covered by insurance and I would not pay the bill. Why should an impact to the oil pan be different from an impact to the windshield or fender?

If it shows up on your credit report, federal law requires the credit reporting bureaus to post any rebuttal you send in as well.

If you were somewhere you shouldn't have been, or mistreating the auto, you are responsible and should pay.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I recently took a quick weekend vacation to an outer island in Hawaii. While driving I "may or may not" have ran over something that inadvertently poked a hole in the oil pan.

There are certain roads in Hawaii that the car rental companies don't allow you to travel on. If the car becomes disabled on one of those roads you're out of luck. On the Big Island of Hawaii there are three roads that I recall are not allowed; the Saddle road, the road to Waipio Valley, and I think a road on the south side going to the green sand beach.

The Big Island is the only one I am familiar with in this regard but the other islands may have similar prohibited roads.

Maui has some roads like that too. I drove until the paved road ended past Hana, well maybe a few miles further while the path was still smooth enough. After all, I was looking for Charles Lindberg's grave, but ran out of time. You don't want to be on that twisty curvy road at night. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

After all, I was looking for Charles Lindberg's grave, but ran out of time. You don't want to be on that twisty curvy road at night.

I found it...On the first, time I rented a jeep to get up there, but there is still a 'stay off the back road to Hana' clause. :)

Made it there a few times since in 'regular' cars, just driving slow & careful...like i ALWAYS do! :$:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>Or . . . maybe - fess up and do the honest thing.

Or rent it from Wal-Mart. Then anything is OK.

They did, they stopped as soon as the light came on...[:/]

Had it been K-Mart that would have been the blue light.;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Request to see a fleet utilization log. They can't claim loss of use unless all vehicles have been rented at that time. Suffice it to say that the rental car company will not make a fleet utilization log available; if they do, just sell it to all the competitors in town. So those charges should go away...

Also, check out flyertalk.com for further information on how to best deal w/ your situation.

I [...] Looking through the itemized bill I'm absolutely getting gouged in administrative fees and loss use fees. [...]