booyah

If a wind tunnel opened in the DC Metro Area would you use it?

Might be the only thing that would get me to stop in DC, and even then only for my son!

I thought the average income around DC was really low, wiht High unemployment...doesn't sound like the best market!

Actually there is a lot of money in the DC metro area. Fairfax and Loudon are two of the richest counties in the country. Average income I believe is high when compared to the rest of the country, plus the area offers employment stability with the Federal Government.

Its sometimes sick the money that people in this area actually have.

I agree. Lived in NOVA for 10 years and now live in richmond. There is alot of money in NOVA like booyah said Fairfax and Loudon counties are two of the richest counties in the country.
The only problem i see is there is no real good place to put it. Maybe out by Dulles near the Air and space museum. That could tie into the museum itself. BTW if you ever get a chance to visit this museum do not pass up the chance. The air and space museum (part of the smithsonian) at Dulles airport is unbelievable. You get up real close to an SR71 Black bird and a space shuttle. Unfortunately there is nothing related to skydiving but they do have stuff from early days of hang gliding. I did give one of the workers there some shit for not having any skydiving related exhibits.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

That would be the perfect place for a wind tunnel! I live so close! :P That aside, I love going to the Air & Space Museum - I go there when I'm bored and have nothing else to do... it's great to just walk around, especially in the colder months.

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

I live in Baltimore and would LOVE a tunnel anywhere near DC or in NJ or PA or VA or MD or DE... it would be sweet to have one that close! Why there isn't one in the middle of the east coast is beyony me, there are plenty of DZ's in this "general"area that can't don't jump steadily year round, this would be a great oppertunity to keep our skill sets throught the off season/ improve skills on poor weather days!!!!!
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

When i lived in herndon i would go there on cold crappy days and just walk around. It seemed like I would always see something I missed the previous time. I had friends from back home come to visit and I could not get them out of there. I always enjoyed the IMAX movies there.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

The Mid-Atlantic region is one of those high-population (and relatively affluent) regions that is unfortunately under-served when it comes to tunnels. Really nothing much between the tunnels in Montreal or New Hampshire to the north, and Pigeon Forge, TN and Raeford, NC to the south.

That being said, don't hold your breath until the economy greatly improves. Proposed tunnels at the Meadowlands (NJ near NYC) and I think Philly have been in the talking stage for years, but nothing more than that.

Wind tunnels are my friend, and my wallet's enemy. If I was out there on business (which i am several times per year) I'd hit that shit up.

Make it a recirculator, at least 14', and fast as shit please, thank you.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

The Mid-Atlantic region is one of those high-population (and relatively affluent) regions that is unfortunately under-served when it comes to tunnels. Really nothing much between the tunnels in Montreal or New Hampshire to the north, and Pigeon Forge, TN and Raeford, NC to the south.

That being said, don't hold your breath until the economy greatly improves. Proposed tunnels at the Meadowlands (NJ near NYC) and I think Philly have been in the talking stage for years, but nothing more than that.

Depressing Andy... just downright depressing. What about Atlantic City, at least there is year round tourism and I could hit the tables and the tunnel in the same day :D
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Might be the only thing that would get me to stop in DC, and even then only for my son!

I thought the average income around DC was really low, wiht High unemployment...doesn't sound like the best market!

About thirty years ago, my dad worked for the Canadian Embassy, and although we lived in a surburb in Rockville, Maryland -- I got to have the Grand Tour of Washington DC for many years. I revisited Washington DC approximately every ten years.

I think distribution is very uneven. There are rich and luxurious portions of Washington DC with lovely neighbourhoods and what looked like Paris-style settings, luxurious outdoor cafes and all. And there were 'downtrodden areas' that we drove past. But it all looked pretty to me as a kid. Certainly, Dad drove me through the preferred areas, but they apparently exist... Even ten years ago on my last visit, they still existed.

What I remember the most was the metro with the brutalist station architecture, and its 'technology magic'. Its automatic retractable turnstiles and magnetic stripe cards in the late 70's/early 80's -- was the highest tech in the world at the time, and I was only a curious 6-year old at the time.

It might help the skydiving industry, when government big wigs (even just a few) become regular tunnel fliers. They've got more than enough money to burn, and I think the tourist market would swallow up the rest. And there are many rich suburbs in Maryland and Virginia, that would make the trip to DC for the tunnel. It's probably a much richer market (within 2 hour driving distance) than say, New Hampshire.