JohnRich

The Perris Jet on TV

Quite by accident, while channel surfing, I ran across a TV show called "Stunts and Chaos", on a channel called "Current", abbreviated CRNT. The segment I saw was sort of like "Mythbusters", where they were recreating several stories to see if they could actually be true.

The story in question here was about a man who was in a mobile home when it was struck by a 180 mph tornado. The mobile home was shredded and he claims to have been thrown 1,300 feet through the air by the wind, and landed in mud and survived. Could it be true?

To recreate the event, the producers rented the Perris Valley skydiving center's DC-9 jet. They parked the jet at the end of a runway, with the rear end facing down the runway. They then placed a mobile home behind the jet, and had the pilots crank up the engines to full throttle, to reproduce the tornado wind blast. The mobile home was indeed shredded by the wind blast, with pieces flying off everywhere.

Next they put up a steel cable zip-line behind the jet, running down the runway, and suspended a stunt man on the cable, wearing protective clothing. They fired up the engines once again, while the stunt man held on to the cable as long as possible. When the engines were revved up to full rpm's, the stunt man finally let go of the cable, and he went sailing off down the zip-line in the wind blast.

Their conclusion: Yes, a man really could have been blown 1,300 feet through the air in a 180 mph tornado. Thanks to the Perris DC-9!

The show: http://current.com/shows/stunts-and-chaos/
The schedule: http://current.com/schedule/

I can't find this particular segment in the line-up, but there's lots of skydiving and BASE jumping in there.

I've jumped it ;)

Don't worry, your not missing anything, it was just another boring ride to altitude, and the exit was ho-hum, totally not worth the hefty jump ticket price.

And like Joe Isuzu... I'm lying :)

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I have 3 jet jumps, non out of Pats, (perris),,the thrill is gone afte rthe first, the seconnd was interesting, the third...boring! ("boring Inhanced by cost") if the price had been lower,,it would have been more fun!

Sitting in first class seating at the front of Perris' ride is a nice touch compared to the floor of a dark cargo 727 though:)

I have 3 jet jumps, non out of Pats, (perris),,the thrill is gone afte rthe first, the seconnd was interesting, the third...boring! ("boring Inhanced by cost") if the price had been lower,,it would have been more fun!

Sitting in first class seating at the front of Perris' ride is a nice touch compared to the floor of a dark cargo 727 though:)

Good point!

Funny thing also, anyone with doubts about jumping a jet...just give a few seconds thought to the size of the runway at Perris....You will gladly jump instead of landing!:o

Yeah I saw that show last week. If you looked carefully, you'd have noticed one of Perris' jump planes fly overhead right after take off. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sitting in first class seating at the front of Perris' ride is a nice touch compared to the floor of a dark cargo 727 though[Smile]

Team FAF jet would be sweet....think about it. B|

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Try it nekked !! ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Sitting in first class seating at the front of Perris' ride is a nice touch compared to the floor of a dark cargo 727 though[Smile]

Team FAF jet would be sweet....think about it. B|

Negotiations under way ;) It's only an 8 place but you gotta start somewhere!

Try it nekked !! ;)

Pass.... what good would a sprained dick be? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Try it nekked !! ;)

Pass.... what good would a sprained dick be? :D

Not to mention Whip welps on yoru ass!
http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_673482_naked_skydiving.htm

I didn't see the show but heard about it when they shot it. I thought is was kinda sad. That airplane, if it can't be hauling jumpers, should be dropping food and clothing over Haiti or at least making drug runs like all cabin class DZ aircraft used to do during the night.

Ya can't make money with the master switch off . . .

NickD :)

See, I maintain that this particular gentleman is inappropriately endowed for nekked jumping. I, on the other hand .... Never mind, TMI, I'm sure.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving