rsmn17

Is it hard to pull reserve?

Yes you could conceivably wear out the velcro if you removed and reseated for each jump. Just like toggles.

Moderation in all things.;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

... and replacing ripcord pocket Velcro is an F***ing pain on some rigs ... requiring a Master Rigger and several hours.

Simpler to just confirm that your ripcord handle is in the pocket, then move on to the next step in your gear check.

You understand that you can break that thread with your hands right?

That was the point of my noting it... a reserve handle pull can't be that hard if breaking a tiny piece of thread is the hardest part.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Federal Air Regulations require using cotton thread that breaks at 4.75 pounds.
By the time most skydivers need their reserve (i.e. halfway through a repack cycle) the thread is frayed halfway through = 1 or 2 pound pull to break.

When you need to pull the reserve, you will likely have enough adrenaline in your blood to make it seem easy ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Depending upon adrenaline is fool's logic.
Granted adrenaline may increase your strength in the short term, but adrenaline also burns through blood sugar rapidly, quickly tiring you.
While a "cool" skygod may not get excited until the the third spin on his tiny canopy, think about the poor student who was terrified be fore he went to bed last night ....

I was just wondering...is it hard (physically) to pull your reserve handle?...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It can happen. It happened to me in 1988. I described it in a recent letter to SKYDIVING. Tight pack job. Very low opening. Since that incident I always checked the pull force before the first jump of the day by grabbing the ball end of the ripcord and gently pulling to make sure the pins moved. My last malfunction, a streamer, turned into a routine, piece of cake "plan B" with both handles sliding effortlessly from their housings. One guy described it as a "textbook cutaway."

Riggers rock!

Cheers,
Jon

The rigger that I use encourages practicing emergency procedures when I drop of my rig for a repack. So, I cut-away and pull the reserve at each re-pack. I've also had two malfunctions and never had a problem pulling the reserve.

Ask your rigger if you can do the same. If you ask, they will not usually refuse unless there are unusual circumstances at that moment in time.

i would totally agree. when the time comes and you know what you need to do, it will come. i have been injured both times that i needed to pull my reserve handle, and it has never been a problem.

not that i assume that it never could be... but i am encouraged by the little experience that i have.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

... and replacing ripcord pocket Velcro is an F***ing pain on some rigs ... requiring a Master Rigger and several hours.

Simpler to just confirm that your ripcord handle is in the pocket, then move on to the next step in your gear check.

I read of a incident where a certificate of some sort had been attached to the harness webbing through the reserve handle and it couldn't be pulled. B|

Now think about it when you're in the air. You're 15 seconds from going in and you're probably spinning. Centrifugal force may be pulling your arms from your chest and your handle may be everywhere. You finally get your hands on it and that velcro's not going to be the easiest thing you've ever worked on. After all, the velcro pocket has only been opened about 5 times... ever. The adrenaline should take care of all of that... just make sure you're pulling on the right thing.

That's how it was explained to me.

A packer at the DZ where I learned liked to tell of the time when he couldn't find his reserve handle when he had a mal on a military jump. He clawed through his clothing and the skin on his belly drawing blood and never even realized it until he was down and someone pointed it out. He lived, I forget exactly how, maybe he found his handle or his mal cleared, that wasn't the point of the story.:)

What kind of rig is it ? That can be a dangerous scenario,,,a reserve handle that stays attached,,,serious entanglement risk,,be carefull out there

Any rig that has that type of pin, ie PdF Atoms with factory RSL, our tandem rigs (vectors, sigma?) have double 9-shaped pins too.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What kind of rig is it ? That can be a dangerous scenario,,,a reserve handle that stays attached,,,serious entanglement risk,,be carefull out there

The Vector 3 is such a rig. I've not had a problem clearing my reserve ripcord, but only because the skyhook opens my reserve container way before I'll ever get the reserve ripcord out, however, if I had a total malfunction, it's unlikely I would clear my reserve ripcord from the housing, since the "9" pin would stop the end of the ripcord from disappearing into the housing.

If it's not clear what I'm talking about, there are some pictures of the pin and ripcord setup in the skyhook RSL packing instructions. Note that the pin is 9 shaped and attached to the RSL, not the ripcord. The ripcord has an eye on the end of it through which the actual pin passes.

Aside from that, holy thread resurrection, batman!

"

... since the "9" pin would stop the end of the ripcord from disappearing into the housing...

Aside from that, holy thread resurrection, batman!

"

........................................................................................

That reminds me of an amusing deployment.
A customer was jumping his Vector 2 (that also has a 9 shaped ripcord pin). When his main spun up, he cutaway and tugged on his reserve ripcord. He freaked out when he could not pull his reserve ripcord handle completely off his harness.
Then he looked up to see a fully inflated Raven (reserve) overhead!
Hah!
Hah!

The moral of the story is: sometimes the 9 pin (on a Vector, Sigma, Atom, etc.) sometimes gets sideways across the mouth of the reserve ripcord housing and it is impossible to pull completely. But who cares, because by that point, your reserve pilot chute, free bag, etc. are long gone.

The moral of the story is: sometimes the 9 pin (on a Vector, Sigma, Atom, etc.) sometimes gets sideways across the mouth of the reserve ripcord housing and it is impossible to pull completely. But who cares, because by that point, your reserve pilot chute, free bag, etc. are long gone.

If you deploy your reserve unstable, and the handle gets snagged by the reserve PC/bridle/canopy/lines - you'll care!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

"

If you deploy your reserve unstable, and the handle gets snagged by the reserve PC/bridle/canopy/lines - you'll care!

"

......................................................................................

Then you have to ask yourself what is the greatest snag risk: helmet, cameras, container, neck, arms, altimeters, legs, ripcord, etc.
A ripcord handle is small compared with all the other snag risks.

Then you have to ask yourself what is the greatest snag risk: helmet, cameras, container, neck, arms, altimeters, legs, ripcord, etc.
A ripcord handle is small compared with all the other snag risks.

Smaller yes, but it's still a snag point - and one that can swing around away from your body. We learned the dangers of ripcord stops on main ripcords a long time ago - now we have them on reserve ripcords. [:/]
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

From Bill Booth:

"The velcro attaching the RSL lanyard to the top reserve flap is designed to allow the RSL pin to rotate when you pull the reserve handle so that the pin will not jam against the ripcord housing. On Vector 3's this tab is a double velcro sandwich that almost always allows this rotation to take place. As noted, even if the RSL pin doesn't rotate out of the reserve ripcord end piece, there is no negative effect on the reserve container opening."

and

"The Velcro joint on the reserve top flap and static line lanyard, should allow the static line pin to rotate, and the reserve ripcord eye to slip off, before the pin is anywhere near the housing."

In freefall, even an average reserve handle can seem hard to pull and this is why you have to be very aggressive on that. The best way to memorize how hard is the pull is to try it on the ground. When a reserve is due for repack, ask a rigger to let you put the equipment on your back, get on your belly and pull the reserve handle.
When people are training for reserve activation procedures in my basement (with an actual fall on a mattress), I put around the dummy handle several turns of masking tape to illustrate how hard they have to pull. My method also is to ask the jumper to grab his reserve handle thumb inside the metal D handle and pull while the right hand comes and helps by pulling the left one at the wrist. That way you can generate a tremendous force of more than 50 lbs.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

The pin may not rotate. It was twice the case for me on actual total mal. But who cares if the pin get stopped at the housing since it has already moved by about 5 inches when you just need one inch to get the pin away from the closing loop and therefore release the pilot chute. See the pictures in attachment.
I believe that 70 years of habit while people were told to clear completely the rip cord should maybe be changed. Just like the use of the Reserve Spectra cable illustrated on my rig on the same picture. People have to get use to it. Just like it took several years to have the three ring release accepted as the standard of the world.:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

WTF????.

I'm wondering why people who are not sure whether they can pull their handles are even getting in the plane.

You can practise these things over and over on the ground until you are certain of your ability to do such basic things.

Do not get into the aeroplane until you are certain about such things.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I'm wondering why people who are not sure whether they can pull their handles are even getting in the plane.
Do not get into the aeroplane until you are certain about such things.

When I become certain of 'such things', in fact on anything in this sport - I'll quit.

What a funny question :|
What goes around, comes later.

So you are telling me that you are quite happy to get in an aeroplane and fling yourself out the door not being sure of how your gear works and not being certain of how to to use it??.

You have bigger balls than me.

This is basic stuff.

Best you quit now.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Yeah, but until you have that first cutaway, you do wonder whether you will be able to do it or will you freeze/panic/whatever?

I sure was happy when I found that all the practise touches/pulls meant that when the shit actually hit the fan a few jumps ago, everthing went by the book without conscious thought :-) I was beginning to think I might never need to actually cutaway.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein