rsmn17

Is it hard to pull reserve?

So you are telling me that you are quite happy to get in an aeroplane and fling yourself out the door not being sure of how your gear works and not being certain of how to to use it??.
You have bigger balls than me

and you're pulling them.

My statement was obvious. And just for you, it means: "nothing is 100% certain in this sport". When it becomes so - I will quit it".

On the other side Your statement was rigid, implying that only stupid people don't know for sure.

NOW I QUIT
my argument :)
What goes around, comes later.

You are missing my point.

You should be pretty certain that you can do something as basic as saving your own life. Many other variables in skydiving make things less than certain. Pulling a reserve ripcord should not be one of them.

The original poster despite having 30 odd jumps, is expressing doubts over whether she has the strength to pull her reserve handle. She wouldn't be the first. It prolly comes down to poor instruction in the first place.

Getting out the door must be a difficult experience for her. If I was jumping without knowing if I could do something as basic as saving my own life, I'd be terrified.

Yet it is easy to solve this by simply practising in a hanging harness. You can easily simulate hard pulls by adding resistance, in fact she could practise with pulls that are more than 22lbs, thus removing any doubts about her ability to physically do so.

Dumping some real reserves on the ground when they are due for a repack also helps engender confidence.

In the harness you can also practise emergency procedures using one hand only. Its free and you can spend as many hours as you want to.

Some people are afraid of looking uncool, thinking harness drills are only for students.

Far from being unique, there are many cases where a low time jumper has been afraid to ask for advice, for fear of being thought stupid. Its why a lot of people quit the sport.

I have come across quite a few who lack confidence, and been happy to help them overcome their fears by clearly explaining what to do and making them practise their drills till they are happy with themselves.

Its far easier to do this, rather than pick up the pieces later.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....