skittles_of_SDC

Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai?

I'm not trying to become the next MMA world champion. I just want to have fun while I get in shape. I don't enjoy running the way I used to.

I guess the question for those in the know is actually which one would give me a better weight loss workout?

Please note: It's pretty much limited to these 2, based on gyms in my area.

Depends on the program. Both burn lots of calories. Muay Thai, however, has a greater risk of injury in most schools. I've never been injured in Hapkido or BJJ. TKD is closer to Muay Thai and I've been hurt in that many times. Injuries cut into your training something awful.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Depends on the program. Both burn lots of calories. Muay Thai, however, has a greater risk of injury in most schools. I've never been injured in Hapkido or BJJ. TKD is closer to Muay Thai and I've been hurt in that many times. Injuries cut into your training something awful.

Oh fuck what he says, he knows nothing of fitness , look at his avatar...obviously over weight for his hieght!

Running like hell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I shall now mount my motorcycle and run you down...B|

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Are these mixed drinks?

Sounds like they should have little rice paper umbrellas in them:ph34r:

I am insulted! My honor has been besmirched! Must commit honorable suicide!

Hey, wait. I'm not on SNL.

bwahahhahaha you are mounting your motorcycle, thats like way beyond GAY, or beastial...i dont even know what to call it :)

Is that like when you went hunting and you mounted your deer afterward?:|

:P:D

Kind of like taking the bull by the horns?

I like both but it depends entirely on the club, the way they train and to some extent how good you are. Jiu Jitsu is hard work if you go to a club where they spar a lot. But you need to work on lots of technique before you can spar safely and that might not even break you out in a sweat. Kick boxing on the other hand is usually damned hard work from day 1. It doesn't take much skill before you can punch a bag, but try doing twelve 3 min rounds on a heavy bag and you'll be sweating like a PE teacher in a maths test.

ETA: I've had way more injuries doing Judo than ever I did doing kick boxing.

I shall now mount my motorcycle and run you down...B|

bwahahhahaha you are mounting your motorcycle, thats like way beyond GAY, or beastial...i dont even know what to call it :)

Rats! I should have seen that one before I posted it. I'm slipping.

I did Muay Thai for a while, and personally I find it one of the best martial arts forms. Granted injuries do occur, in Muay Thai your reaction time will increase as well as your fitness.. Some of the fitness training is pretty intense cardio- but it works great.

I think the choice between the two depends heavily on the one who is doing it though. Just read up on each and you should be able to make an easy decision on what you'd prefer.

Pffft...Krav Maga.:P

I've never done Krav Maga... (and it's been years since I've done Judo) but tossing people around is a lot of work... so if you're doing that kind of thing in Krav Maga then it's probably a good workout... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You want to get in shape do something like Cross Fit. You want to learn ass kickin' find a good MMA gym.

(not that MMA won't get you in shape)

Oh, and as far as your poll, do both. If you can't neutralize with MT on your feet, you will need some JJ for the ground work.

Edit: spelling.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

What do you consider "in shape," or your ideal body type. While there are of course many exceptions to who does what Muay Thai and BJJ build your body in entirely different ways...

Muay Thai tends to favor taller lankier individuals and develops thin ripped bodies and lots of speed. Think Brad Pitt (Tyler Durden) in fight club.

BJJ doesn't develop behemoths, but it does generate a more thick build with way more work in the extremeties (arms, wrists). Look up some pictures of guys whose last name is Gracie.

For another alternative workout option try rock climbing...