Bart13

Articulated harness

Wings articulated harness only includes hip rings. Hip rings are more comfortable when walking to the airplane, when stuffing big guys into small airplanes and allow greater flexibility in freefall. Hip rings are pretty much the norm these days.
While other manufacturers may offer chst rings, improvements in yoke design have decreased most of the advantages attributed to chest rings.
All the Wings introduced to my DZ over the last three years have hip rings and all their owners brag about how comfortable they are.

What Rob said. You really should talk to and seek advice from the up-jumpers at your DZ before dropping a few thou for a new rig. They can not only answer questions like yours but supply answers to questions that you won't even know to ask.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Get the cut in laterals too.

I've had many different rigs over the years, but my Wings rig is so comfortable, I wish I had gotten one sooner.

Oh, and make sure a Wings dealer does your measurements.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Wings articulated harness only includes hip rings. Hip rings are more comfortable when walking to the airplane, when stuffing big guys into small airplanes and allow greater flexibility in freefall.

I have a Wings too, soooooo comfy!!! I can even stretch with ease and move around in the plane so much more better with my articulated Wings. Enjoy! ;)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Get the cut in laterals too.

If you have these or get them, make sure the mod has been done to remove the catch on the bottom corners of the reserve pack tray.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Line guides" are another option that should be removed from the "options" list and moved to the "standard features" list.

I got a Wings with articulated and cut in. It fits like a glove but I think articulation makes bigger of a differece in larger people. Honestly I cannot tell much differece between articulated vs. non articulated in term of fit and comfort but I am very skinny. I know other skinny skydivers came to the same conclusions.

By the way the Wings articulation is IMO the simplest and best design out there.
Memento Audere Semper

It doesn't look easier, It looks to me like there is extra joints and buffers aroud the ring. I assume that adds up to more sewing than a non articulated.

I would think it's just a different kind of difficult than a non articulated harness.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Think again. How many webbing is meeting in a normal harness? 3. If one of them to be replaced all should be sewn back again.

How about the articulated harness? 1 for 1.

I don't think that is called “maintenance", it is called major repair. Would be 6 of one half dozen of the other. Have you ever done work on a harness?:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

"Line guides" are another option that should be removed from the "options" list and moved to the "standard features" list.

"Option"? They've been doing this mod for free on request because they know it is a potentially fatal design flaw. If the main suspension lines go under the "catch" on the reserve pack tray lower corners on the rigs with cut in laterals, there is a chance that they will tear the reserve pack tray off the harness on deployment. I just had a customer send a rig to them about four weeks ago. He paid the shipping there. They did the mod at no charge and paid the return shipping.
alan

"Option"? They've been doing this mod for free on request because they know it is a potentially fatal design flaw. If the main suspension lines go under the "catch" on the reserve pack tray lower corners on the rigs with cut in laterals, there is a chance that they will tear the reserve pack tray off the harness on deployment. I just had a customer send a rig to them about four weeks ago. He paid the shipping there. They did the mod at no charge and paid the return shipping.

Why would that be an issue only on the rigs with cut in lats??
What stops the lines catching on the rigs without cutins?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Why would that be an issue only on the rigs with cut in lats??
What stops the lines catching on the rigs without cutins?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

????????????????
I have repaired Talons and Sidewinders that suffered that damage. Also seen Vectors and Javelins with their reserve containers half torn off!!! None of the torn rigs had hip rings.
Afte tiring of repairing (2) torn Sidewinders, I talked the manufacturer into adding line guides to new Sidewinders. They also sent me a pattern to retrofit line guides to all of our Student Sidewinders.

Think again. How many webbing is meeting in a normal harness? 3. If one of them to be replaced all should be sewn back again.

How about the articulated harness? 1 for 1.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ringed harnesses are more expensive to build because you have to sew 3 or 4 joints at the hip instead of the single stitch pattern on a straight harness.

However, repairs become easier because it is easier to simply cut off the damaged piece of webbing and sew on a new piece, instead of slowly un-picking all the stitches and trying to salvage three or four other pieces of webbing.

What difference lateral cut makes here?

Compare a Wings that does not have the lateral cuts with one that does. The way the corner is sewn with the cuts creates a "catch" that is not there on the others.

It is mostly a careless packing issue. If you are in the habit of wrapping your excess lines around the bottom of the reserve pack tray instead of down the sides of the main pack tray to its' bottom, then you run an increased risk of off heading openings, line twist, spinning mals, or tearing off the reserve pack tray.
alan