JohnMitchell

Theft at the DZ

Only thing Ive had stolen/been guilty of stealing are pullup cords. Guess Im just lucky...... That or nobody wants my shit.:D

Yeah, I should have some lettering done on my rig"

"This rig contains a Swift 5-Cell reserve canopy that has been deployed enough times to qualify for it's own A-license." ... that should stop 'em! :D

(Just kidding -- I've only used it twice and it was deployed 3 or 4 times before I got it)

Only thing Ive had stolen/been guilty of stealing are pullup cords. Guess Im just lucky...... That or nobody wants my shit.:D

Yeah, I should have some lettering done on my rig"

"This rig contains a Swift 5-Cell reserve canopy that has been deployed enough times to qualify for it's own A-license." ... that should stop 'em! :D

(Just kidding -- I've only used it twice and it was deployed 3 or 4 times before I got it)

Atleast ya know it works!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I always jump with my wallet and cell phone. Not only because I don't want to lose them, but in case I land out and/or get hurt...I can call back to the DZ, or be identified quickly.

Engraving alti and otherwise marking gear is a good idea...not only from theft but a lot of these things look alike...easily misplaced/mixed up and never seen again :(...might as well protect yourself from honest mistakes too.

Yeah until a recent thread I had not thought of it, but will now be jumping with my ID and my cell.. other than that i used to leave it all in the car, lock the car, and just toss the keys any ole place at the smaller dz i used to go to.. current home dz, a bit bigger, so i have the keys stashed behind the desk with manifest, or stash them in one of the classrooms. That said, I have left kiddo' stuff (who wants a diaper bag?) and my own purse sitting in the kitchen on occasion.. I am not too paranoid.. though I do not own a rig, when I get my rig (soon please :);)) I will likely be pretty cautious w/ my baby!

I did have an incident where I was carrying a big bag, a one year old, a 12 of beer, talking on the phone to finish a convo, and my credit card (manifest can take your card, hold it for the day, and then cash you out at the end depending on how many jumps you make, not sure if this is common, but that was my intent for the day) Got inside, after meandering for about 5 minutes in the parking lot and watching the kiddo and finishing up the conversation, and went in and my card was gone. There were soooo many random tandems and families that day, I am not making accusations, because it could have just as easily been dropped somewhere weird in the time between the car and hanging right outside to finish the call and going to check in, but I retraced my steps, emptied the bag and the beer case too just in case lol, had others help, and it was nowhere to be found. Now, I was distracted, and could have fallen somewhere screwy or the kiddo could have tossed it somewhere. But it also could have been taken. I did call that night- no one had tried to use it at that point, and I was able to cancel/reissue.

But I admit, I am more wary of random people I don't know and tandems than actual skydivers. I realize every community has bad seeds but I do consider it a family of sorts and do feel much safer around skydivers (at least a small or moderate DZ, on a not super busy day with new people and tandems all over the place). But right or wrong, I am generally pretty trusting I think, while trying to be cautious when needed..

Never been to a boogie due to not having the A yet and being a single mama, but think I'd be a bit more cautious there than a home DZ for sure.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Yeah until a recent thread I had not thought of it, but will now be jumping with my ID, my cell and a first aid kit.

Fixed it for you.:P

I typically take my ID, a credit card and afew bucks cash out, put it in one of my jumpsuits pockets, along with the spare key/remote for my truck. Its less thanmy normal keychain and usually isnt too noticeable (depending which pocket/suit im jumping). Depending where Im at, I might bring my logbook out.

This way I dont have to run to my truck whenever I want to get a snack, pay for more jumps (such as at Start) or buy a case of beer if I land at the gas station.:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah until a recent thread I had not thought of it, but will now be jumping with my ID, my cell and a first aid kit.

Fixed it for you.:P

NO don't jinx me! :P I was just getting it out of the way, meeting my quota.. er something..? Actually I would imagine the dz probably does have plenty of first aid kits though.. hope they never need to be used but I am sure they already have, and will be again.. stay safe everyone!

I typically take my ID, a credit card and afew bucks cash out, put it in one of my jumpsuits pockets, along with the spare key/remote for my truck. Its less thanmy normal keychain and usually isnt too noticeable (depending which pocket/suit im jumping). Depending where Im at, I might bring my logbook out.

This way I dont have to run to my truck whenever I want to get a snack, pay for more jumps (such as at Start) or buy a case of beer if I land at the gas station.:)

LOL.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

I had a pre-paid cell around from when I was transitioning back from Iraq. After someone made the point to me, I started taking it on jumps in case I land out. If it gets broken, I'm not out anything.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Never been to a boogie due to not having the A yet.

Get that A and you can fix that at Couch Freaks. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If you don't feel like packing, no biggie, but at least throw the stuff in your trunk before you hit the beer truck.

A guy at Lost Prairie learned the "don't leave your shit out overnight" lesson the hard way this year when he left his rig out under a packing tent ... and a massive storm blew through. Lost a day + of jumping while his stuff was drying out and getting repacked. Mother Nature's a bitch sometimes... put your stuff in your vehicle or tent!!!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke