bertusgeert

SLC

Would love some input from those who know.

I have a job opportunity in SLC. The job isn't quite what I would like to be doing but pays decent, especially by Utah cost of living standards.

A friend recently visited SLC and told me not to move there, I would die of boredom and the narrowmindedness. Problem is that she is a bit narrowminded herself.

I love to paraglide, ski, skydive and want to get into jumping off of things too at some point.

As a mid twenties single, would Salt Lake City be that terrible?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

SLC is no longer mostly Mormon. there is a LOT to do.
Tunnel, world-famous Point of the Mountain for paragliding, hanggliding. Lots of slopes for speedflying, two very nice DZ's (plug for Skydive Utah here), Solomon Centre in Ogden, if you want to escape the cold in the winter you can drive 5 hours south and be in the warm desert, drive 6 hours south and be in Vegas. Moab is very close. Lots of mountain biking, climbing. If you're into BASE there are a lot of exits here. There are lotsa bars, but you need a membership to clubs if you want mixed drinks. The only place you'd struggle, IMO, is in places like Provo/Orem and a few small towns.
Low cost living, lots to do, good skydiving crowd, lots of fun people here.

Skiing - Alta and Snowbird are less than an hour away.
Skydiving - Ogden is less than an hour away.

Don't know about BASE, but I'm certain, with all the mountains nearby, and wide-open spaces once outside the city, there is no shortage of stuff to jump from.

As a young single professional of sorts, you could do worse than Salt Lake City. ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Good luck, wish I was as young as you!

Thanks, wish I had as many jumps as you.

This is reassuring. I have some other options that are a better moves career-wise so we will see how it turns out.

I would love to start working a little less and playing a little more. Utah seems like the right place to do that.

Good luck, wish I was as young as you!

Thanks, wish I had as many jumps as you.

This is reassuring. I have some other options that are a better moves career-wise so we will see how it turns out.

I would love to start working a little less and playing a little more. Utah seems like the right place to do that.

I'll trade you!:ph34r:

I love to paraglide, ski, skydive and want to get into jumping off of things too at some point.

I lived there 12 years. From the SLC valley, you have half a dozen great ski resorts an hour or less away. Great freakin' snow, too. Paragliding? Yep, South of SLC is Point of the Mountain, a fantastic place for it, right off the I-15. Base jumping in Moab and you can drive North to Idaho Falls for the bridge. For skydiving, you have a Kingair DZ to the west in Erda, Jack's place, and Bryan's Caravan DZ up in Ogden. Both are first rate facilities.

As a mid twenties single, would Salt Lake City be that terrible?

The closer you get to the University of Utah in the Northeast corner of the Valley, the more urbane and liberal the town gets. SLC now has microbreweries and revised liquor laws. And there are a lot of cool people in Utah. I know that for a fact.

Utah girls? That's where I met Vskydiver. :)

SLC is no longer mostly Mormon. there is a LOT to do.
Tunnel, world-famous Point of the Mountain for paragliding, hanggliding. Lots of slopes for speedflying, two very nice DZ's (plug for Skydive Utah here), Solomon Centre in Ogden, if you want to escape the cold in the winter you can drive 5 hours south and be in the warm desert, drive 6 hours south and be in Vegas. Moab is very close. Lots of mountain biking, climbing. If you're into BASE there are a lot of exits here. There are lotsa bars, but you need a membership to clubs if you want mixed drinks. The only place you'd struggle, IMO, is in places like Provo/Orem and a few small towns.
Low cost living, lots to do, good skydiving crowd, lots of fun people here.

^^-What he said.
Muff #5048

Utah girls? That's where I met Vskydiver. :)

And VSkydiver is pretty much "normal" for Utah. Women here are beautiful. Maybe it's the high mountain air...dunno. Difference between Vskydiver and most Utah women...she stayed gorgeous after marriage.

Point of reference: The bridge is outside Twin Falls, not Idaho Falls (BTW, in between is American Falls B|). A slightly longer drive from Salt Lake, but not much!

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

my sis lives there, has been a river guide in the past. i actually like it there, so much to do outdoors, ahhhhh, the canyon lands. now that i fly an ultalight, really wanting to go visit. i would go. where are you located now?

Born and raised in a small town north of SLC. Utah has some of the most beautiful country, and tons of outdoor activities. SLC is diverse enough you'll enjoy it!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Currently I'm just north of NYC, and with a good number of well
paying options here, I'm pretty set on heading west and getting my glider back out of the bag more regularly.

I have job opportunities that are roughly similar in both Scottsdale AZ and SLC, which is better in terms if social life for a twenty-something, and considering the other factors mentioned above?

Im thinking SLC for better skiing, more convenient gliding at POTM and the closer proximity to the bridge.

Others have pointed out the shydiving, climbing, etc. that is available in/near SLC. If you are into motorsports there is a very nice road course nearby and the fastest racetrack in the world, the Bonneville Salt Flats, is only 90 miles to the west.
Two places to eat that are a must: Squatters in downtown SLC, and the Salt Flats Cafe at the Salt Flats exit just before Wendover.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Currently I'm just north of NYC, and with a good number of well
paying options here, I'm pretty set on heading west and getting my glider back out of the bag more regularly.

I have job opportunities that are roughly similar in both Scottsdale AZ and SLC, which is better in terms if social life for a twenty-something, and considering the other factors mentioned above?

Im thinking SLC for better skiing, more convenient gliding at POTM and the closer proximity to the bridge.

well, i like the Scottsdale area too. and ASU in in that valley. but, being 41, very happily married, and somewhat into doing our own thing, cant really answer the social life question. having already gone through "doing it for the money" stage of my life, we now try to work less, and play more, and weather is really important to us...i feel the weather in the west is less "life threatening." yeah, it snows and gets hot, but not like the east coast. i like the mountains, and the salt flats of SLC, but then again, Scottsdale is a 6 hour drive to San Diego. Both get hot, but i do think Scottsdale gets hotter, for longer. I think I would go for SLC for the time being, its a good mix of mountains and desert.:)

Born and raised in a small town north of SLC.

Which one? Bountiful, Centerville, Kaysville . . .?:)

Clinton

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

Born and raised in a small town north of SLC

It's time you knew the truth-that was actually Oklahoma City. Everyone told you that the speed bumps were the Wasatch Range so you'd feel taller.

LOL :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

g
OMG, is she okay?

So I got an offer in Scottsdale, a better job for what I want to be doing vs. SLC. I'm pretty sure i'm going to accept - just want to think about it for a little while.

More space than where I live in the Northeast. Maybe now I'll finally get a dualsport to rip through the dessert on my way to Eloy.