ASullivan

Buying a used rig

I have found a used rig and have not had time to talk to my jump masters yet to see what they think. It is a 1988 javelin that looks in really good condition. The resereve was repacked in june of 04 where the rigger cleared the entire rig for jumping. the mains DOM was 1995 and has 42 jumps on it by this jumper. It is a great deal but i want to know how long i can expect this rig to last and some questions to ask the seller and my jump masters. Thanks. Sulli

I have found a used rig and have not had time to talk to my jump masters yet to see what they think. It is a 1988 javelin that looks in really good condition. The resereve was repacked in june of 04 where the rigger cleared the entire rig for jumping. the mains DOM was 1995 and has 42 jumps on it by this jumper. It is a great deal but i want to know how long i can expect this rig to last and some questions to ask the seller and my jump masters. Thanks. Sulli

Is the DOM on the Javelin correct? What kind of main and what kind of reserve?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

have not had time to talk to my jump masters yet to see what they think

That is a crucial first step. Your Instructors who know your canopy piloting skills from firsthand experience are the best people to ask about purchasing your first rig. There are also helpful articles here.

If your profile is correct, you are in the middle of your student progression . . . there are always good gear deals out there - don't be in a hurry to buy what pops up on your radar screen.
Arrive Safely

John

1988 was before Cypres. Has Javelin been retrofitted for an AAD -- pocket, cable channels, control unit window?

Does it have an RSL?

Where is the pocket for the main pilot chute? On a leg strap, or on the bottom of the container?

Another poster mentioned SPSB 03032000, modification of the main closing loop retainer. On a 1988 Javelin, compliance requires replacing the main closing loop retainer, a more complex procedure than your garden-variety rigger is capable of.

Does it have soft (fabric) cutaway cable channels, or flexible metal housings like your student rig does?

Some riggers choose not to deal with 20-year-old equipment, which this will be soon. What about the riggers in your area?

Would your exit weight in pounds be less than the number of square feet in the reserve?

Mark

Yes the DOM on the container is correct. The main is a sabre 170 DOM 1995 with 42 jumps. The reserve is a glide path firelite model# SN FL 1006R with no reserve rides.

This set up would be quite inexpensive. The container is 17 years old and not good for freeflying. The resale on the Firelite is not very high. 42 jumps on a canopy that is 10 years old also makes me wonder.

What was the asking price for this rig?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I would believe it if you had said 42 jumps on the Sabre on this line set. 42 jumps in 10 years on a very mainstream canopy that should be easy to sell?!?

If I were you, I would have a rigger all over this rig for a very thorough evaluation before contemplating putting any money down.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...