TrophyHusband

mac users

for years i've heard about how great macs are. everyone i know that has one tells me how great it is. everyone says there are no problems with them whenever someone on dz.com asks a pc related question, someone will quickly point out that the problem is that it isn't a mac.

i got a macbook pro yesterday. it loads web pages so painfully slow that i can't even use it for internet. right now i'm having to use a dell and internet explorer to get online. hopefully its just some setting somewhere that can be easily changed, but so far it seems that all macs aren't the trouble-free dream machines all the apple juice drinkers claim it is.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

for years i've heard about how great macs are. everyone i know that has one tells me how great it is. everyone says there are no problems with them whenever someone on dz.com asks a pc related question, someone will quickly point out that the problem is that it isn't a mac.

i got a macbook pro yesterday. it loads web pages so painfully slow that i can't even use it for internet. right now i'm having to use a dell and internet explorer to get online. hopefully its just some setting somewhere that can be easily changed, but so far it seems that all macs aren't the trouble-free dream machines all the apple juice drinkers claim it is.

'it loads web pages painfully slow' isnt really a description thats gonna get you alot of answers to your problem

if you bought something that expensive on the backs of a few internet forum posts proclaiming their awesomeness then you dont really have anyone to blame but yourself. of course apple dosnt pump out 100% perfect products 100% of the time

did you buy it new? if so you can return it for a full refund within 30 days no questions asked

or you could use apples great tech support

what browser are you using?

what webpages are loading slow?

have you checked your internet connection?

I got a macbook last year, and it's taken me some time to get used to it. I bought the Microsoft Office package with it, and am glad I did -- mostly because I already have a lot of those files and want to be able to read them! I bough the year of unlimited Mac tutoring, but lost the ticket.

I love iPhoto as compared to Photoshop, but I can't figure out how to separate the originals from the processed photos when I try to burn them to a disk. I also have some minor issues with the email program, such as certifying emails (notified when delivered or opened), or recalling emails.

And mine loads web pages really quickly. I also love how quickly it boots up and shuts down. WAY faster than my Dell!

Bottom line -- my Mac is better in some ways, and my Dell is better in others. And of course, that's a personal opinion. I guess it depends on what you need it to do, and how much time you've spent getting used to it. Good luck!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

i'm not looking for answers, just making a statement. the place where i bought it spent almost 2 hours yesterday showing me how to use it, i'm sure that i can pop in there and get the problem solved.

i did not buy this "on the backs of a few internet forum posts" and the idea that i "don't have anyone to blame but myself" is silly.

www.kjandmegan.com

i'm really digging iphoto. i also love the track pad. i haven't yet figured out how to save pics that i modify and also keep the originals, but i'm sure i'll figure it out. i've spent most of my time just transfering all of my pictures onto it and naming faces.

www.kjandmegan.com

Get a MAC. :P:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I wanted a Mac for a while and bought one like 3 months ago. I was enjoying it's beauty and awesomenes for like 5 finutes. Thats how long it took for my buddy to spill a glas of red wine from the back side of it and kill it instantly, FIVE minutes after I took it out of the damn box.>:( He took it to Mac shop. 750 for the repair. He got it back, put it on a back seet of his car and when he got home his 3 year old daughter knocked it out and stepped on it. 600 for a broken screen and I'm still waiting for it.B|

This doesn't say anything about macs but it's my sad Mac story that i had to tell.
Most of my friends thought it was hilarious. :S

Sorry to hear your first impression hasn't been great.

What websites are giving you the most problems? Is everything loading slow? Do the sites use Flash?

Flash may be an issue. I install Click to Flash on all my Macs. What this little program does is prevent the loading of flash on a webpage...if you want the item such as a video to load, you click on it. It prevents all these Flash ads and banners from loading.

We have a 21.5" iMac that my wife and kids use. Lately they have been complaining about how slow it was, not connecting to the internet, etc. So, the other day I spent some time running Disk Utility and a Maintenance Utility called Onyx. Like a new machine when I was done. I am still somewhat surprised that it needed me to do this stuff as I have other macs that haven't required any maintenance in years and still run fast. I'm going to blame it on the kids and their constant use of game playing websites ;-)

In iPhoto, the changes you make to photos are not written to the photo file itself. This is so that you can always revert to original if you want to. To save a file with your changes you will have to export it. Select files, click on File...Export and choose what you want to do from there.

Did you get the latest version of iLife on your new machine? It should show iphoto 11 in the iPhoto,,,About window. If not, you should get a free upgrade. If you upgrade, install the update to iPhoto before using it.

I use a service called Backblaze to back up all my photos and music offsite. Runs in the background and costs $50 or 60 bucks a year. One of the greatest utilities for the Mac is Super Duper! I use this program to create bootable mirror images of my hard drive on an external firewire drive.

I hope that your visit to your retailer will resolve your problems. What you are describing isn't right nor typical.

Cheers,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

i'm really digging iphoto. i also love the track pad. i haven't yet figured out how to save pics that i modify and also keep the originals, but i'm sure i'll figure it out. i've spent most of my time just transfering all of my pictures onto it and naming faces.

There is a way. I am 90% sure that they are stored in a separate folder called Originals. I don't have my computer with me right now, so I can't go in and look. But if you go into finder and start looking around, I think you will eventually find the originals in a file.

As far as the internet slowness. They only thing I can suggest is to make an appt at the Genius Bar and have them take a look. They are pretty good with figuring out the problem. If not, they will replace it with a new one since you just bought it.

What I hate is the amount of people that get a mac because 1) their parents are loaded and their spoiled 2) it's the cool thing to be seen on campus with 3) 40 more points like the previous.

If you have to be shown for 2 hours how to use it, it probably isn't for you? :S

I love apple. The designs are great, and the build quality as well.

My favorite item is osx itself, as I'm a very large proponent of unix. If you get a mac and don't know what the hell you're doing, just go away.

To the OP, can you run speed tests with both the mbp and another computer on the same connection? What browsers are you using. Ethernet or wifi?

Edit: Don't intend to start a mac vs. pc thread. Please don't. Just get's on my nerves is all.

Stay high pull low

I absolutely adore how you have two threads going; one about a PC that f'ed up so bad it's useless for surfing the web and another where you don't think a Mac is rendering web pages fast enough.

Any Mac straight out of the box is an internet wet dream and I can't fathom what issue you might be having.

it loads web pages so painfully slow that i can't even use it for internet.

Have you ever considered it might be your internet connection?

Seriously.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Mac users might find this article interesting
http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/sophos-delights-mac-users-with-free-antivirus/141879

Probably nothing to do with the issues the OP had but something for Mac users to consider.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

So, the other day I spent some time running Disk Utility and a Maintenance Utility called Onyx.

Where did you find this Murray? All I can find is a font set named Onyx.

You can find Onyx here Andrew.

Just a reminder that to use Disk Utility to repair the boot disk you have to run it from the OS X startup disk or a bootable firewire backup which is easily made with Super-Duper!.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey