skydiverek

Malfunction compilation: video

Seriously though, I have all the respect in the world for all these old people, but how does any of this relate to MY safety and training? This thread should exist in the "history and trivia" forum. I mean, a round reserve?!? Those goffy-ass freefall positions? And the biggest thing is there's not ONE wingsuit in this entire vid!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Muff #5048

Seriously though, I have all the respect in the world for all these old people, but how does any of this relate to MY safety and training? This thread should exist in the "history and trivia" forum. I mean, a round reserve?!? Those goffy-ass freefall positions? And the biggest thing is there's not ONE wingsuit in this entire vid!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

That's 'Style'...something you kids know nuthin' about! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That's 'Style'...something you kids know nuthin' about! :P

I beg to differ. What is shown in that vid is nothing more than standard AFF training. Something any skydiver these days should be able to accomplish.;)
Muff #5048

I beg to differ. What is shown in that vid is nothing more than standard AFF training. Something any skydiver these days should be able to accomplish.

No jackass, not 'style', as in the cool way to do something, that's the competition discipline of 'Style", sometimes paired up with, and reffered to as, 'Style and Accuracy'.

A 'style set' is a front loop, left 360, right 360, and a backloop (I think). It judged by ground-to-air video, and based on time to complete the set, and you lose points for being off heading when you start or finish any of the turns or loops.

The tuck position allows for a high airspeed, giving you more power to push through the turns.

It's typically done from a low-ish altitude of 5000 or 5500, and it's paired with Accuracy becasue after your style set, you opened and shot accuracy.

It's super old shcool, and I haven't seen anyone seriously practice style in about ten years, and even then it was rare. By today's standards it is weird, but 30 years ago when all you had were Cessnas and Strato-whatever canopies, it probably seemed like a good idea.

When I called you a 'jackass' I meant in a nice way, not in a PA way.

Um, freebag, I no haz it?

;)

Yup, no freebag on round reserves, and the reserve PC was permanently attached to the reserve canopy.

if the reserve pilot chute is attached it is one less thing to go find after a cut away, why would anyone want to have their PC detach ;)
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

HI dave,

A style 'set' is:

1. A 360 turn to the left or right
2. A 360 turn in the opposite direction
3. A back loop
4. A 360 turn to the left or right
5. A 360 turn in the opposite direction
6. A back loop

I noticed that some of them were using a quite head-high body position. This makes for faster turns; the French originated it a loonngg time ago. There were no rules prohibiting it so they ( the officials ) didn't know what to do about it; they thought it was cheating. :o

JerryBaumchen

HI dave,
A style 'set' is:
3. A back loop
6. A back loop
JerryBaumchen

OH- is that what it means...
I thought Accuracy was getting on the right plane and Style... well that's just how I walk to the plane B|.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Did the guy at 1:15 really cutaway his canopy after it fully inflated and was flying right?

Edit to add: In fact it looks like quite a few cut away good canopies, some intentionally.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

A 'style set' is a front loop, left 360, right 360, and a backloop (I think)

Hmmm no it's not... It's a series of left 360, right 360 and backloop, the turns in various directions.

I once entered our Nationals doing Style (and even practiced for it, in HAIL). Now I wasn't very good at it at all, and neither were our judges anymore - they kept losing us after exit and picking us back up under canopy... :S I didn't elect to ask for a rejump, would've gotten 16 anyway. Anyway one jump I still had a few secs left after the series and I went "frontloops? backloops? frontloops? backloops?" with my hands in freefall :S "Now what did I just DO?"

The judges could appreciate it though :ph34r:

I remember they didn't appreciate the one freeflyer who did his series in a sit :D:D:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

HI dave,
A style 'set' is:
3. A back loop
6. A back loop
JerryBaumchen

OH- is that what it means...
I thought Accuracy was getting on the right plane and Style... well that's just how I walk to the plane B|.

JW

That joke is as old as style & accuracy itself. [:/]
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front