howardwhite

Mr. World

What is this all about?

"I was about 3,000ft from the ground when I realized that the link in the pilot chute was missing.
"It's the piece which pulls everything out of the bag so you can land safely -- so it was very scary.
"The parachute didn't inflate and I was about 15 seconds from the ground, but thankfully I managed to get it loose by jiggling around the bag.
"The whole thing was delayed by about four seconds, but when you're falling from the sky you fall 1,000ft every five seconds so it felt like a very long time.
"I was genuinely scared that I was falling to my death.
"I really panicked when I realized I went from free falling to just falling but thankfully it all worked out okay.

HW

He seems to have a few facts correct which whuffos wouldn't know:
- A pilot chute begins the deployment sequence.
- Deployment begins at about 3,000'.
- From 3,000' it takes 15-seconds to impact.
- You fall 1,000 feet every 5 seconds.

Given all that, he does seem to have some skydiving experience, in my opinion.

I think it's a great attempt at describing the events in a way the media understand.

It's all too easy to get lost in skydiverspeak and get Lutz-coverage :-)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

he is from the city were i go to university

quite the success story, if you consider a competition like mr world a success but seems like a pretty nice guy

however this is pretty embarassing im just glad it didnt happen at either of the two irish dz's

at 150 skydives he probably should have just went to his reserve instead fo 'jiggling around the bag'

if i ever see him around uni or around limerick ill be sure to ask him :p

What? He didn't have a reserve? The next time he may spend the rest of his life "jiggling around the bag." A story like this might sound good in a bar. "Wow, such a hero!" On the DZ, "So what? You had a malfuntion and almost killed yourself."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

More importantly, I had to look up what a "Mr. World" title is thinking its perhaps some bodybuilder competition... it's a male beauty pageant put on by the Miss World Beauty pageant. I think Andy, airtwardo and myself should compete. Probably be a tie.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

"I was about 3,000ft from the ground when I realized that the link in the pilot chute was missing.

...and he (or who ever packed the rig) missed this important piece of rigging while packing?:S:S:S
How in the hell would you miss noticing that the bridle is NOT connected to the canopy???????
Sounds like a major bullshit story.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young