BETO74

Anyone enjoy deer hunting over the thanksgiving break?

. Not like growing up in PA, game book was short, "deer season is here to here - go hunt"

isn't pa. one of the only states where to muzzleload hunt you have to shoot a flintlock. with patched round ball? now that true old school shit right there
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

You know, Brett and I might just get some tags and follow you over to the east side next year. We'll talk. :)

i got my first deer over in that region when i was 12. i still have family that goes every year, but my dad stopped going a couple years ago. he just can't walk the terrain any more. i would spend a week hunting there in a heartbeat if i could. maybe i'll get to again if we ever move back to washington.

Its an interesting region for sure. Over the years I have noticed that the major divding line for species is the Pend Oreille River ( AKA Clarks Fork of the Columbia on the other side of Lake Pend Oreille.)

ON the west side of the river over to the main stem of the Columbia( Lake Roosevelt behind Grand Coolee) and to the south there are far more white tails than Mule deer. ON the East side of the river Mule deer seem to predominate and there are more elk just as there are more of them in Idaho just across the border. Its the only area of WA that has a viable population of moose as well. Some one mentioned bears. Black bear are very common thruout the area, but there is a population of grizzly up in the far northeastern corner of the state. Rumour is.. that the Park Service used to move problem bears from Yellowstone into that region, called the Salmo Roadless Area. It is also the only place I have ever seen the very rare( in the lower 48) woodland caribou. Both of those species as well as the bighorn sheep that are around Hall Mtn. are protected there.

Yikes spendy:o

Something like a Remington 742 Woodsmaster can be had in hock shops for under $300 in .30-06 if you just gotta have a semi-auto.

Mine is an old one and well blooded.

A woman after my own heart..

742 Carbine has been my Hunting rifle of choice since I was about 14 years old. It was my mothers hunting rifle before I adopted it.

Before that I had a Winchester Model 94 30-30. Gotta love the classics.

Very proud to say that I have never had to fire a second round with the 742. Every single time it was a one shot instant drop. Used to joke the Rifle had a nose on it, Throw it up and it will find the kill spot everytime.

Ok. I'm getting a 270 WSM (Winchester short Magnun) 24" barrell.

I been collecting data and asking around for a good mustly all purpose rifle and this the WSM was my choice.

I need some help understanding the following statement I found about the WSM, I REALLY DONT GET IT

The trajectory of a .325 WSM rifle shooting a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet at an honest MV of 2975 fps should look like this: +2.6" at 100 yards, +2.0" at 200 yards, 0 at 245 yards, -4.1" at 300 yards, and -16.8" at 400 yards. The maximum point blank range (+/- 3") of that load is 289 yards.

What do they mean with +2.6" at a 100yrds? assuming that it they aim up a target 2.6" then why the bullet does not drop any at 245 yds?

Any help understanding how bullet trayectory is appreciated
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

The POI is at 2.6" @100yds when zeroed at 100yds.

POA-POI

So what is going on is that you want the bullet to strike high by 2.6"when you zero your crosshairs at 100yds.

That way when the bullet flies along it's ballistic arc it crosses the horizontal plane again at 245yds.

That is what is called point blank aim, meaning that you need not adjust your elevation knobs or holdover in order to hit the kill zone.

I really wish you would just buy the 260 a 270wsm is a barrel burner.

That means that the throat of the bbl will get eaten up at a faster pace.

do not discount that .260 bullet.

I like the .270win I like the .270wsm, but I do not like having to buy a bbl that often.

Ammo for it is expensive as all hell, brass is scarce.

a 24"bbl is not all that good in hunting unless you are only going to post up/hunt from a blind or stand.

The length does not add accuracy, after 18" everything else is just for a few fps.

A versatile hunting rifle will balance well, have a short enough bbl to be able to point quickly whether on an open field or in thick brush.

I will pm you a few pics of rigs that suit this need.

one has a bbl as short as 14.5" but will hit well past 600yds and as far as 800yds without enormous holdovers

The pic I just sent you is something that was assembled for just under $750 but is worth well over $2000.

You don't need to spend a lot to get something of great value and reliability/longevity

It has a chrome lined match grade bbl that will last 15k-20k rounds

A rifle identical to this one just dropped a Bull Moose in Alaska.

The bullet was a 129grain Hornady SST.

The ballistics on that are equal to 6.5mm swedish

We all know what that cartridge can do.

There are many things to consider, ease of use, bbl life, availability of ammo, versatility, choices of components, ballistics, not just FPS or bullet weight.

We need to consider sectional density, Ballistic Coefficient, and terminal effects.

That .270wsm is a great cartridge hampered by a limited choice in bbls and other items.

I need some help understanding the following statement I found about the WSM, I REALLY DONT GET IT

"The trajectory of a .325 WSM rifle shooting a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet at an honest MV of 2975 fps should look like this: +2.6" at 100 yards, +2.0" at 200 yards, 0 at 245 yards, -4.1" at 300 yards, and -16.8" at 400 yards. The maximum point blank range (+/- 3") of that load is 289 yards."

What do they mean with +2.6" at a 100yrds? assuming that it they aim up a target 2.6" then why the bullet does not drop any at 245 yds?

Gun barrels aren't parallel to the ground - they're pointed upward a bit. Thus, a fired bullet is rising at first right out of the barrel, before it starts arcing downward again. Thus, compared to the line of sight which is perfectly straight, the path of the bullet passes through the line of sight twice: once right out of the barrel, and again further out as gravity pulls it back down.

The "0 at 245 yards" means that this is the point where the bullet passes back down through the line of sight. That's your "zero", where you can aim dead-on and hit what you're aiming at.

If the target is closer than that, then you need to aim lower, because the bullet is above the line of sight: at 100 yards, aim 2.6" low. If the target is further away than that, then you need to aim higher, because the bullet is below the line of sight: at 300 yards, aim 4" high to compensate for bullet drop.

Got it?

If you do select the 270wsm use the 130grain SST.

MV 3200fps
Ballistic Coefficient .460
Sectional Density .242

It will have more velocity, shoot flatter, and easily kill any deer or elk.

People often choose bullets based upon the belief they need a heavy projectile for "knock down power"when in fact the quarry dies from hydrostatic shock and trauma.

The 130 grain class of bullets in .270 cal are really blessed by velocity and enough fragmenting mass.

I shot this almost two minutes after walking out the door of the house to the Silo, to see the deer my friend Steve was pointing out.

So I dropped into the prone position with the rifle rested on a timber.

I held over 18" it's back and sent it.

Hit it right in the heart 4" from the bottom of the chest.

Postmortem showed a 1" hole at the exit wound, bone fragments and gelatinous lungs, hole in lower heart.

The shot was approximated by me, at well over 400yards.

More pics to follow and points after measuring.

He had a rack that was 22" inside to inside.

The actual distance was 465yds.

Without the broken G1 it would have been 167 5/8 points

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/warped60120/8Point11-10-2010.jpg

I shot this almost two minutes after walking out the door of the house to the Silo, to see the deer my friend Steve was pointing out.

So I dropped into the prone position with the rifle rested on a timber.

I held over 18" it's back and sent it.

Hit it right in the heart 4" from the bottom of the chest.

Postmortem showed a 1" hole at the exit wound, bone fragments and gelatinous lungs, hole in lower heart.

The shot was approximated by me, at well over 400yards.

More pics to follow and points after measuring.

He had a rack that was 22" inside to inside.

The actual distance was 465yds.

Without the broken G1 it would have been 167 5/8 points

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/warped60120/8Point11-10-2010.jpg

Nice:)

I haven't hunted in a few years and started back this year hunting Quantico Marine Base, VA. I've seen a few mount-worthy bucks, but they've all been out of bow range. This is my first season with archery so I'm still learning the ropes. On the plus side, does don't count against one's bag limit if hunted in archery only areas (main side, residential, etc...). Yeah, the freezer's full, but still would be nice to bag a buck before the season ends.

Good luck, stick to it and you will eventually get an opportunity.

This was the first deer I ever took on that property.

That is after six years hunting it.

All the others I took in WI were in the area but not that farm.

I even got five opening morning last time I was there.

That included an assist as I and another guy both shot within milliseconds on a TOT shot, that was a 10 point buck but I think he was on the trigger just ahead of me.

I decided to concede he shot first, our bullets were 1" apart and in the heart.

Just got in the door from a 2 day drive back from North Dakota. Saw lots of great looking mule and white tail out there... Shot a large number of pheasant myself. Got to try out an over-under shotgun and loved it, now I gotta get one.....

Any recommendations? (I stopped at scheels today and tried out a few in the under $800 price range, I liked the CZ, the Mossberg was ok, and the Condor sucked..)

If you are going to get an OU, check out some vintage 1960's Beretta's

Also consider a Stoeger, a 16 gauge would be a nice chambering and is highly overlooked.

My Nono had a 1960's Beretta that was not for export outside of Italy, they let him bring it back here anyways.

That was the best OU I ever shot, it was deadly accurate, 16gauge and had the most beautiful wood and engraving I have ever seen on a shotgun.

It was not that gaudy kind of stuff you see on many shotguns, it took the guy who did it almost a year and a half to complete.

I think my uncle got it and then sold it after my Nono died.

That thing was priceless.

You can however find one that was for export in that range if you look through the auctions and small shops.