futuredivot

Windshields and full face helmets

Since it was 23f this morning on my way to work, I've decided that maybe I'm not as much against them as I thought I was. It's gonna be a pleasant, pretty ride home, though.

Why against them? I keep an old windshield to mount on my bike if I am riding more than 500 miles...Helps fight off fatique, as for fullface, I just don't like them, but make much more sense than my half helmet!

Look into Gerblings electric gloves and jackets..

Evidently i was both tougher and cooler in my 20's that I am in my 40's :S

Which is why I left Mo.

Toy Run,,thats my wife next to me smiling threw the rain..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/toys4tots.jpg

just another day at work at the Cycle salvage..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/?action=view&current=winter.jpg

Which is why I left Mo.

Oooopps, wrong shot, "this" is her smiling threw the cold a year later at the toy run...we never did get good weather for that one...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/toyrun.jpg

I still don't have a windshield, only cause I'm cheap. But I used to ride with a half shell until I caught a huge ass bumble bee in my upper lip at about 70mph. That little fucker nearly knocked me off the bike. Since then I wear a full face. Call me a pussy if you want to, but that is a pain I never want to relive.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

[we never did get good weather for that one...

Toy runs are funny that way. I've declines all offers to ride in Christmas parades this year-Reason one is they're tough on the clutch, even slipping neutral whenever I can; Reason two is December tends to be COLD in the SC upstate:)
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Which is why I left Mo.

Were those pics taken in St. Louis?

The cycle salvage is that also in St.Louis. If so, was it over at Al's or AIMS (after he moved it over to Martin Luther King Dr.)

I do use a windshield on my Fatboy these days. Got tired of the bugs, plus I ride all year, snow, rain, ice...

Forced to wear the helmet (half shell, no padding and the Styrofoam is all that is left in it, the chin strap is melted from laying across a hot pipe, and the shell is gouged over most of its surface from taken a ride on its own on the freeway over in Illinois. Damn thing is 25yo.
I hated to leave CA as when I lived there we rode helmet free. MO was (and still is) lid law state. CA became the same about a year after I left.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I was on the bike all day today, was 30F (according to the bike) as I pulled out of the drive way. Man it felt GREAT. It beats the hell out of July and August!

No full face, I'm not a fan, but I do have a windshield on this bike (and heated grips).B|

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Is it worth my life to catch an idiot on a crotch rocket?

Nope.

My Motorola has out run the fastest bikes and the best riders! ;)

doin't mean to butt in to the conversation but I highly doubt any cruiser will be able to out run a SS sport bike or liter bike. Any modern or new SS600 will do 70-80MPH in first gear and the liter bikes will do 100+ in first gear.

I have a ZX10 and I kid you not the thing will do 100+ in first gear.

If the guy knows how to ride and if it's a SS600 or higher I would put my money on SS bike every time.

Nope.

doin't mean to butt in to the conversation but I highly doubt any cruiser will be able to out run a SS sport bike or liter bike. Any modern or new SS600 will do 70-80MPH in first gear and the liter bikes will do 100+ in first gear.

I have a ZX10 and I kind you not the thing will do 100+ in first gear.

I'm not on a cruiser, I'm on a ST1300. Sure, its not a GXR 1000, but it is fast. Secondly, 98% of the people on sport bikes are all throttle and no skill, especially in the city.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nope.

I have a ZX10 and I kind you not the thing will do 100+ in first gear.

I'm not on a cruiser, I'm on a ST1300. Sure, its not a GXR 1000, but it is fast. Secondly, 98% of the people on sport bikes are all throttle and no skill, especially in the city.

Also the motorola travels a light speed, and can easily out run and out corner ANY sports bike:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I never had (and never wanted) a windshield for 25 years, but put one on my current......the difference is night and day concerning bugs and fatigue. Skid Lid anytime it's 30 and above, but full-face this morning and tomorrow........you wouldn't think anything could hurt this face more than it already is, but 15 degrees or so at highway speeds will do it every time.

I'm often asked why I ride more in the winter than the summer......less bugs, don't burn up in my leathers, MUCH less chance of "pop-up" thunderstorms, and it's a fantastic way to wake up on cold winter mornings. :)

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

My sons first ride on a shielded bike, (Just last week) He didn't like it! But then,m he didn't hit the highway with it yet..next time he will ride it Perris, while I ride my knuckle...(we are baby sitting it for a while) . I might buy it!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Beach/?action=view¤t=009.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Beach/?action=view¤t=013.jpg

Full dressers are nice. At times I thought of trading in the Fatboy for one, but nah. Back in the 80's and 90's, I'd push my bike off on a Bro of mine in Utah every time I went up there after Sturgis. Randy had an 84 FLHTCU. Sure was nice to get on something that was the nearest you can get to a Cadillac for comfort. Old Fl's and even the 91 Fatboy are not the most comfortable after a month on the road.
We road up to Bear Lake that day, in the pic. Never thought that I would really like one, until I rode one. The stereo was nice. Although, I do prefer the sound of just the pipe and the wind. Part of the reason I ride, to be free of all of the distraction driving a car. More of being in tune with the sound of the bike and everything around me. No fucking around with a stereo or searching for a CD.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Nope.

I have a ZX10 and I kid you not the thing will do 100+ in first gear.

If the guy knows how to ride and if it's a SS600 or higher I would put my money on SS bike every time.

Speed and the bike are only part of the story. The ability to not kill yourself in traffic is the larger part. I think that police riders are generally better trained to deal with "safe" high speed riding in traffic.

But you are right about 1st gear and speeds my bikes gear change indicator fires at 60MPh in 1st gear and that is at 10 000 RPM still lots of revs left to go.

Lastly back on topic I always wear a full face helmet and full leathers. As to wind shield the R6 has one but it just about keeps the wind off your nuts:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.