psychoswooper

Tandem reserve lines fall off ?

Chris, I have to say you are one heck of a guy for stepping up and saying somehting about this. I heard a lot of stories going around the DZ when this happened (amazing how fast the rumors get going). As a fellow rigger (had a few to pack in Dublin, something was in the air????) I am glad you came right out and told the story, really settled a lot of questions in my mind.

As far as people trying to flame each other in this public forum, get a life! I have been attacked a number of times in these forums for some of the jumps I have taken on. If you have a problem with someone, call them directly, this is not the place! Get some balls and face them directly, enough of the backstabbing already!

Sheesh! You are unbelievable to come so clean like that! No excuses or anything! I would trust you!

Sounds like you are getting a ton of support and only one person is attacking you! I was there and as with everyone else heard the rumors, but when I talked to Tom, he defended you without using your name. Sounds like no one who matters is flaming you!

You are a true man of integrity!

Tammie :)
Let's have fun! :)

No-one at all has attacked douwanto. At least not in this thread.

A couple of people have flamed psychoswooper for posing what I'd regard as a legitimate question. Ah well.

And yeah, it does take a hell of a lot of courage to stand up and say "I fucked up." Well done Chris.

Dear Chris,

Your friends Lee, Brandy, Kelly, Robbie, in addition to many others have already responded to the initial post with the veracity and support that you earned and deserved. A number of individuals who are immensely more qualified then myself have commented on the rigging and technical aspects of the matter, but I wanted to express, as best my poor words can, just how much of an example and a standard you have tried to set for myself and others during the few years that I knew you.

Although we all enjoy having a good time and as much fun as we can at skydiving events and boogies, you approach your work as an instructor with the respect and devotion that it merits. I can speak to this not only because I was one of your former students, but also because I've been privileged to witness it firsthand. When I was your student you would assist me and countless other novice skydivers in a way that would get the point across clearly, but yet you would never seem to lose your sense of humor and good nature in the process, something that I still find it hard to do when I teach students.

When it comes to rigging however, most of that humor and good nature disappears. As you know I have driven the few hours from Tallahassee to Albany on several different occasions to bring some of my friends' rigs up when the repack cycles on their gear are about to expire. On one such occasion my friend needed his reserve repacked that night, and I had the opportunity to watch you inspect and repack the rig. Without a doubt, every square inch of that canopy was checked and then checked again, and the entire pack job was performed with the utmost care and attention to detail. It wasn't that I understood everything you were doing or were supposed to do, because I'm not a rigger nor do I pretend to be some kind of expert. I could just tell that YOU knew what you were doing from the start, never seemed impatient or unsure about yourself, and you were not satisfied until the container was closed and looked clean and professionally done. When it didn't come out exactly the way you wanted it to be, you took the time to go back and do it again. This was what impressed me most about your work.

What stood out most in this whole matter however, is not so much the outstanding quality of your work, but the incredible nature of your character. You never try to make stupid excuses for any of your mistakes or faults, but instead always stand up and tell the straight up truth about what happened, and act like any other professional should when put in a similar situation. You don't try to cover stuff up or get out of anything, and are a straight shooter all the way. If the individual who started this post had the same qualities that you possess, then they would have taken the time to get all of the facts and then contact you privately and professionally about the issue. Instead, it ended up being posted on this board in this context, strife with spite, rumors, and all of the negative personal garbage that is tearing this sport apart at the seams.

Finally, I would not be honest myself if I didn't say this. I confess that I have not always been the individual that my parents raised me to be when it comes to this sport. There have been occasions when I have been less than honest, and times when I've been ashamed of myself because of stupid mistakes and not having the courage to admit when I've been wrong. I've been wrestling with whether or not to take some time off from the sport because sometimes I question whether I even deserve to be on the same airplane or airfield with some of the individuals that I have been disrespectful towards. That decision is for me and for me alone, and if I choose to quit the sport and surrender my license and instructional rating it will be because of the respect I have for the individuals around me and the examples that they have set, and my failure as a person to follow their lead.

You once apologized to me when I brought a rig over to your house because you didn't have the opportunity to clean up before I arrived there. Now it is my turn to apologize to you. If I can one day become half of the man of character that you are, then I will have done more to make my parents proud of me then earning my undergraduate and law degrees ever did when I recieved them. Not that I need to prove something to mom and dad, but you get the message.

You put me to shame.

Without knowing anyone involved, this thread has brought a huge lump to my throat. I can only hope that one day I will be worthy of the kind of respect and support in the community that Chris is.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I had heard rumors flying around Dublin about this. I have to say it takes major courage to step up for this. I would gladly let you repack me anytime if you approach your rigging again like you have approached the skydiving community.

Something to remember is that you did have a successful save and I'm sure the TM was happy to see that reserve. :)
Also file the NASA report... I've seen lots of things go through those that are far more major then this.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The incident has been aired.

The person directly involved has publicly held himself accountable for his mistake.

douwanto's character has been supported by numerous customers, friends, and fellow Riggers.

It is impossible for me to discern whether or not the author of this thread had any personal agenda in airing it here. There is no evidence other than "he said, she said."

There are also, in my opinion as Moderator of this forum, no personal attacks (as defined in the Forum Rules) in any of the posts here.

The thread has run it's course, and anyone who has issues with the individuals involved in the incident itself or in this thread should take any further conversation to PMs or other less public forms of communication.

Personally, I thank God that nobody was hurt in the incident, applaud Chris for his incredible integrity, applaud Tom for his professionalism, and applaud those of you who have stood up here to bear witness to Chris' character and professionalism.

I encourage everyone to choose wisely when posting controversial and/or personally damaging information, and suggest that you not draw unnecessary attention to yourselves by labeling your own post as a personal attack.
Arrive Safely

John