maggott

Old Gear-Old Brain. Anyone remember Dual Pilot Chutes?

:$
It's been too long! (or maybe not long enough) but I have an ancient rig... A PC! I am thinking of adding a second pilot chute (as we used to do)... it's been so long I can't remember how the second MA1 was attached... Anybody out there remember? The internet has not been helpful so far...
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

B|
I know I've got a picture of it somewhere...... I just can't remember where! As soon as I get it figured out... I'll snap a shot of it and post it... the rig is as ugly as sin.... but the canopy's not too bad.
I guess I should post a "wanted" for a cool, Para Pro harness and container (that was the first sport rig made for the PC...) it would sure be better than the extended B-4 container that I had back in the 70s and like the one I have now! There're not a lot of PCs for sale on the internet though! Blue Skies!
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

I used to use someone's dual PC cheapo rig. It was tough to pack. The two PCs were attached on separate bridles to the apex. One was about 1' longer than the other. They were packed next to each other.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

there were at least 3 ways to do it.first and most common was to simply attach the 2nd p.c on the same bridle as the first(using the same loop).drawback is the pcs tend to fight each other as neither one is exactly vertical.the 2 nd way was to attach a second pc and bridle to the same point on the top of the sleeve or dbag.3rd way is to use something like an nb 8 pc with the grommet in the top and run a bridle through the lower pc to the second pc.there are some pics in poynters parachute manuals.

I thought about a set up like that while day dreaming. I figured the PC's would dance around each other and entangle and choke each other off.

I also thought about a Dual PC on the same bridle. A smaller one on bottom, and a larger one above it attached to the apex of the smaller one. I know it is impractical, but would be cool to look at.

Outstanding! Thanks! I just set it up using two on one bridle... I remember that is how mine was set up... I do remember that neither being vertical neither reach their full potential... I'll give it a spin... and then I may try double bridles as well.
Thanks for the prompt reply!
~Maggott

I haven't jumped it yet... it's just that the damn things so big and heavy... I want it to have all the pull possible, and enough spring to clear my burble. I remember massive pilot chute hesitations on my old rig... and was a little surprised that this beast only has one pilot chute... I had an extra MA1 kicking around, so I figured "why not throw it into the mix?". It's not just a rig; it's a nostalgia trip![sly:P
~Maggott

I have a rig that has a dual pilot chute. Both of the PC are attached via a LONG bridle on each. Both of them are the standard Military Surplus. One is a USAF MA-1 the other one is a NAVY.. not sure of the designation that has a much larger top ..and yeah they are a pain to stuff in one at a time and get the cones alligned and the ripcord pins inserted.

EEESH cant believe this I found looking for a picture.
http://www.pioneeraero.com/2-5_fre_fal.htm

The two pilot chute set up was popular when MA1's were the only available Pilotchutes around.

The days of the wing wars were on...and some people thought using two instead of one was easier than 'sitting up' to get clean air across your back.

The problem was...just as often as not they wouldn't
launch together and would actually be pulling against each other...one up and one down.

added to the 2X's possibility of a PC in tow...

Most guys that tried it either learned how to
pull their knees up to disturb the burbble, or got a "HotDog" or "HotShot" pilot chute.

They had about twice the spring as an MA1...but actually had LESS pull/drag force...still they worked great.

Then Mr. Booth dragged us from the stone age and
took the spring OUT!
:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Outstanding! Thanks! I just set it up using two on one bridle... I remember that is how mine was set up... I do remember that neither being vertical neither reach their full potential... I'll give it a spin... and then I may try double bridles as well.
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Fiorget the second PC - jump with one only and just sit up as you pull and it'll launch OK. Dual PC's caused as many problems as ones they supposedly solved.

Blue Skies,

fegs

Have you ever wondered why they were only in style for a short time?

Sparky

'Cuz the Hot Dog pilot chute came out and made life easier ? I used to use 2 MA-1's with my PC in a 4 pin container (the canopy was packed in a POD, which was sort of a wrap around version of a bag). I always thought it was because MA-1's didn't seem to have that much "spring" in them. But anyway, I swiched over to one Hot Dog and that's all it took. Eventually when I ditched the whole setup and got my Hanbury rig, I kept the Hot Dog and put it on the reserve.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

>I have a rig that has a dual pilot chute.

So do I! But it's a bit newer than that; it's a Reflex, and the secondary PC is on the reserve.

Every time you see a 'new' invention come out, it's a good bet that someone has done it before. Crossbracing - airlocks - dual PC's - freeflying - ground launching - none of it is all that new.

I've never seen or heard (until now) of two pilot chutes causing trouble... I have over a hundred jumps on a ripcord main rig an dnever encountered a problem except pilot chute delay... I will heed the advice of those with more experience than my 28 years in the sport (you don't get this old in the sport by ignoring good advice from those with more) and keep on eye on that single pilot chute... I easily recall my old way of looking over my shoulder (1/4 barrel roll) as I pulled to disturb that burble... and I never had a problem...Who needs two pilot chutes anyway! The damn thing's in a sleeve, and as long as the pilot chute finds air, there's no way that things staying on my back! Thanks everyone for your input!

Maggott
D 5964:)
~Maggott

I'll probably create a new posting about this... but as long as I have some folks who remember PCs with Duaol Pilot Chutes, I might as well come right out and ask... (I know they're out there in people's basements, hidden away, unused)....
Anybody know where I could find a harness and container system for a PC? If I remember right, it was called the Para Pro, a three-pin container... I've got the Belly wart, but this B-4 container and USAF harness have seen better days (even just for the occasional "history hop").
If anyone knows where I might be able to get my hands on such a relic, please let me know!

Roll up for the Tragical History Tour! Step right this way! --Ruttles

humor me!

Maggott:$
~Maggott