JohnMitchell

Watching old movies.

We just finished watching 2001:A Space Odyssey on BluRay. I hadn't seen it in years, but remember when it was such a big deal at the theaters long ago. After 2 hours and 28 minutes of late 60's special effects and the bizarre ending, our son got up from the couch and declared "That's the worst movie I've ever seen.":S:D

What other movies that you thought were great that may or may not pass the test of time?

BTW, I thought 2001 was very ambitious and well done, but styles change. All you have to do is look at the clothes from back then to realize that truth.:)

Different times, different tastes . . .

A LOT of musicals from the late '50s and early '60s don't hold up very well. In particular Damn Yankees, which is a perfectly fine musical in general, but Gwen Verdon? What the fuck? Is THAT supposed to be sexy? Tab Hunter? W-T-F?

Here's another one and if looked at by period standards was outstanding, but by today's it's just odd; West Side Story. Seriously? The biggest bad ass gang member in town brought a knife? A fuckin' knife? Oh, that's just "cute."

Actually, I think 2001 holds up pretty well. It has a certain timeless design to most of it. The PanAm stuff is a bit of a giveaway; especially the stewardess uniforms, but as far as the space craft . . . pretty flipping cool.

MOST sci-fi before Star Wars in 1977 looks pretty bad by today's standards. 2001 is a stunning exception. Not just in special effects, but overall design.

Of course, after Star Wars raised the bar so high, everything had to come up or simply look ridiculous.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Actually, I think 2001 holds up pretty well.

Damn right. I haven't seen the Blu Ray but I saw it on 70mm once and was fucking crisp. The SFX are still great I think - as in, you can believe what you're seeing. That's all they're meant to do. Now it's all just ridiculous CGI, its so overdone it's become a new definition of 'fake'.

Just about all of Kubrick's movies hold up well today, even 'A Clockwork Orange'. Sure its not quite as shocking now (as I've heard it was in the 70s) but there's still nothing else quite like it. That movie still grabs people by the balls. I reckon I've seen it about 10 times and its still awesome.

One movie I watched recently that I felt had not aged well was 'Leon / The Professional'.

It must be winter because I watched three old movies this weekend. One from Netflix and the other two were on TV. I rented Fandango because my girlfriend hadn’t seen it before and since I hadn’t seen it in years I was curious how it would hold up. It holds up fine and while never in my top ten (or top 40) it still makes me smile.

The next movie was something I stumbled onto on PBS; It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I am flicking through the channels and on my TV screen is Jimmy Durante. A second later I see Sid Caesar, Jonathan Winters, Milton Berle, Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney. Well now I’m hooked because I want to see who else is in it. I wasn’t disappointed; Ethel Merman, Spencer Tracy, Phil Silvers, The Three Stooges and the list goes on. Then you add a Twin Beach doing stunts and it kept me watching till the end. I’m not sure I can say it didn’t hold up because I’m not sure I would have liked it when it came out but just watching it to see who I could recognize was cool.

The last movie I saw was In the Heat of the Night. One of those movies I have to watch when I run across it. It holds up great. If you haven’t seen it, get it.

Harold and Maude. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbSkybMuqs&feature=related[email] Saw it at the midnight flick back in '73. Great movie with Cat Stevens for the soundtrack.
This movie stands the test of time with it's message.
If you have never seen Harold and Maude. I highly recommend this movie,
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

The black hole and Close Encounters of the third kind. I loved those movie when i was a kid.

One thing I don't understand is why I never see the movie "The Black Hole" on TV at all. I haven't seen it in more than 2 decades. About all I remember is that the evil guy was named Maximillian. There were a couple of well known actors in the movie though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The SFX are still great I think - as in, you can believe what you're seeing. That's all they're meant to do. Now it's all just ridiculous CGI, its so overdone it's become a new definition of 'fake'.

I remember as a little kid reading magazine articles on how the movie was made, the elaborate sets for the centrifuge scenes, etc. The effort to make it scientifically correct was first rate. I thought that really did raise the bar for Sci-Fi then and there. With today's audiences, maybe it looks like clay-mation to them.:S:D

I totally agree about CGI. It's being done to DEATH. I refuse to see any more giant-meteors-smacking-the-Earth-destroying-all-life-as-we-know-it disaster movies. They bore me. :P Too many movies' action sequences look like over wrought video games anymore. [:/] It makes me want to see a really good western. :)
Maybe that's why True Grit is doing so well in the theaters. ;):D

A Few Good Men

Hell yeah.

I like "Patton" on BluRay too. Classic tale of an amazing person.

And I thought the only thing we had in common was both of us think your wife is hot.B|
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

One thing I don't understand is why I never see the movie "The Black Hole" on TV at all.

Because it truly does suck donkey balls. It sucked donkey balls when it was released and it was laughably stupid even by the standards of the day. Horribly, horrible science fiction.
quade -

One thing I don't understand is why I never see the movie "The Black Hole" on TV at all.

Because it truly does suck donkey balls. It sucked donkey balls when it was released and it was laughably stupid even by the standards of the day. Horribly, horrible science fiction.

Yes because they don't put crap on TV.:P

There's crap you can sell and there's crap you're embarrassed by. The Black Hole is an embarrassment to the studio that produced it. It diminishes the brand and they don't generally don't play it on their own cable channel. It occasionally gets played on Turner Classic Movies for some reason; probably as part of a package deal that was set up years ago.

Just like the original Tron, I'd suspect its availability on any form of home video to stop completely. There may be a few copies floating around in warehouses, but I'm fairly certain no new copies have been made in a while.

The Company is planning a Black Hole re-boot similar to what they've just done with Tron. I don't have details on its schedule, but I'd expect it within the next year or two. If you watched the opening scene of Tron, you might have noticed a poster of The Black Hole on the walls of Young Sam's bedroom as well as an action figure of the Vincent robot. There's your hint.
quade -

A Few Good Men

Hell yeah.

I like "Patton" on BluRay too. Classic tale of an amazing person.

The Longest Day, still a great movie as is Tora, Tora, Tora.

The Longest Day was weird to see as a kid, my dad's friend went with us, he was the kid that actually landed in the German Generals garden, then stabbed him to death.

He liked the movie, he said it was not as good to have been there.

There's crap you can sell and there's crap you're embarrassed by. The Black Hole is an embarrassment to the studio that produced it. It diminishes the brand and they don't generally don't play it on their own cable channel. It occasionally gets played on Turner Classic Movies for some reason; probably as part of a package deal that was set up years ago.

Just like the original Tron, I'd suspect it's availability on any form of home video to stop completely. There may be a few copies floating around in warehouses, but I'm fairly certain no new copies have been made in a while.

The Company is planning a Black Hole re-boot similar to what they've just done with Tron. I don't have details on its schedule, but I'd expect it within the next year or two. If you watched the opening scene of Tron, you might have noticed a poster of The Black Hole on the walls of Young Sam's bedroom as well as an action figure of the Vincent robot. There's your hint.

I’ll take your word for it. Until this thread I hadn’t even heard of it.

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry ;)

The ending caught me by surprise.

The original Walking Tall. It wasn't a really great movie but a hell of a lot better than than the newwr one with the Rock.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Anyone watched Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" recently? That's one that may have aged poorly.:P It sure was funny "back when.":D

I saw it about a year ago. Love that shit! Is it on BluRay?
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs