Nataly

Do you change according to circumstances / friends?

I was really interested by what a friend told me the other day... He said he has always liked hanging out with older people because he finds he learns more from them and some of their good qualities rub off on him.

I liked the idea as a concept, but wondered if skydivers are influenced much by their "environment"... If I had to make a guess, I would say jumpers have a rather high proportion of Alpha-males/females, so maybe that means we are less influenced by others/circumstances??

So... Do you change according to your environment and/or the people around you???
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

So... Do you change according to your environment and/or the people around you???

Yes
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I was really interested by what a friend told me the other day... He said he has always liked hanging out with older people because he finds he learns more from them and some of their good qualities rub off on him.

I liked the idea as a concept, but wondered if skydivers are influenced much by their "environment"... If I had to make a guess, I would say jumpers have a rather high proportion of Alpha-males/females, so maybe that means we are less influenced by others/circumstances??

I would be willing to bet a pretty hefty amount of money that if you broke this up into two groups it would give you VASTLY different data.
Group One - Professionals that have the capital to skydive all the time
Group Two - DZ Dwellers
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

We're all influenced in one way or another, by the people we are around...sometimes it's nothing more than ~ THAT's a bad example, never gonna do THAT! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We're all influenced in one way or another, by the people we are around...sometimes it's nothing more than ~ THAT's a bad example, never gonna do THAT! ;)

HEY!>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I do, naturally. I avoid hanging out with certain family/loved ones' acquaintances, however, because I am not one who enjoys putting on a facade--even a slight one.

I like "my kinda people", and unless there is some benefit to me or a cause I support, I am not the type looking to impress, but rather be impressed upon.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I absolutely changed, though it's less with different groups of current friends, but with different groups of friends as those groups have changed over the years.

In college I lived with a couple car freaks. I got totally into working on my car all the time, cared about buffing out every scratch I could find (even though I was driving a 12 year old Volvo 240 I bought for $1,000).

I lived in NYC for 6 years and found myself much more interested in wining and dining. Became a beer snob, etc. Also lived with a cyclist so bought my first road bike and started biking.

Spent two years as an AmeriCorps volunteer on crews with mostly 18-20 year olds (I was 26). Found myself acting (to my chagrin) much more like them, often immature, etc. Didn't like that and after the first year made a concerted effort to stop it.

Moved to Texas for a job working with ranchers. Tried hunting for the first time, enjoyed it. Bought a few firearms and now shoot rather proficiently. Obsessed with fishing now that I live on the coast and had a partner at work introduce me to it.

I have no idea what my next move is, but I look forward to it and seeing what new me there will be when it happens.
Killing threads since 2004.