Meso

Japan Earthquake - 11 March 2011

Live stream a bit overwhelming at present. They just had a helicopter view of the tsunami live as it was taking out entire towns. I expect the death toll to be in the thousands. Between 6 and 10 meter tsunamis possible.

In certain areas this is true, unfortunately the tsunami damage seems to be most visible in the farming areas and the small towns. Sendai looks to be almost completely destroyed from these shots.

Tsunami warnings now out for Russia, Hawaii along with many others.

This will be a historic event.

In certain areas this is true, unfortunately the tsunami damage seems to be most visible in the farming areas and the small towns. Sendai looks to be almost completely destroyed from these shots.

As far as California?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What about those who are not prepared?

Evidently it seems that they were kind of expecting this.

Up to 8.9 at a depth of 24 km or 15 miles

Damn.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

As far as California?

It's possible to predict an arrival time. It's difficult to predict actual levels though. MANY, many factors.

I'd be more worried about Hawaii and Alaska than California though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It looks like what was left from hurricane Andrew.

Only 1 confirmed dead at this time

50F low of 36F - (10c and 2c)

It's going to be cold for a lot of people.[:/]

wow! that sucks :(

glad i live in the great state of florida, where we dont have to worry about such things :S;)

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

It looks like what was left from hurricane Andrew.

Only 1 confirmed dead at this time

Did you see the footage of the wave hitting? That was freakin' unreal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBt5VlZkdyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKh-QaeT6rc

It looked like a building on fire was being swept along with the wave.

Boats running into houses and careening off other buildings - and those barges weren't small either.

According to this web site;
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/march102011/japan-quake-tk.php

Scientists with the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach told HawaiiNewsNow.com that based on current available data, tsunami waves could reach Hawaii would be at 2:59 a.m. Friday.

Not that there's ever a good time, but 3 am sucks.
quade -

FrEaKy shiT.... Nature eriely crazy cool!

Ya. Effing pretty mother nature is. Except for the horrors it brings to humans sometimes.

Hawaii has an official tsunami warning in effect. Nothing for California yet. Im camping on the beach right now in northern Cali, guess id better follow the news[:/]

If the aftershocks are timed just right - can they compound the tsunamis?

like a wave intensifying another wave?

or is that not even an issue?

If the aftershocks are timed just right - can they compound the tsunamis?

like a wave intensifying another wave?

or is that not even an issue?

I'm not sure that's much of an issue. If they were continuously being generated like sound, it could set up some additive interference pattern, but these are essentially one giant pulse wave per event.

It does compound things in that they continue to move debris around and cause more damage, but it's not like two 32 foot waves spaced apart equal a 64 foot wave.
quade -

After the recent earthquake here in NZ there has been quite a stir from a local weather predictor.

He predicted the last earthquake based on moon perigee and earth moon distance as well as sun spot activity.

I am on the fence on the issue but the New Zealand community is divided on the issue.

How is this relevant to this.

He has predicted a large earthquake on or around the 20th of this month and many people are very upstet about it.

http://www.predictweather.co.nz/ArticleShow.aspx?ID=339&type=home

The scientific community seem to be dismissing him, well geonet anyway. and many call him a fear monger. I know several people with his weather Almanac and you will be surprised how close his synoptic forecast charts are to the situation charts posted in the newspaper on the day.

I have stocked up with canned food and got a multi fuel cooker. If nothing happens, bonus but it if does we will be relatively prepared.

I am watching footage of the Japan EQ and gee whiz, that is some shocking footage.

My heart goes out to those in Japan, the toll of human life taken will be massive.

If you are on the ring of fire, here is predicting activity until late April when the cycle finishes.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

He predicted the last earthquake based on moon perigee and earth moon distance as well as sun spot activity.

Tidal forces play a part, but I wouldn't put too much stock into anybody's theories if they involve sun spots.

The phase of the moon is currently 34% waxing crescent. The tidal forces would be highest at full and new moon.
quade -

As far as California?

A tsunami watch warning just came on the TV right as I was reading this thread. ETA of possible tsunami is approximately 8:00 AM PST. The warning is for coastal counties from Monterey County and north.

Edit to add: I live in Monterey county four blocks from the beach in Carmel. I'll let you know if we're evacuated.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

wow! that sucks :(

glad i live in the great state of florida, where we dont have to worry about such things :S;)

Not true... ANY tsunami generated in the Atlantic.. like if the island of Tenerife lets loose.. the wave will wash right over most of the state.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article407717.ece

haha, if a tsunami eve hit here, this entire state would be fucked. lol. :(
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.