skybytch

Whatcha readin'?

Try Anne McAffrey Too then!

The Dragons series is inredible.

I just finished rereading the gunslinger series cuz I wanted the story fresh in my mind for the Wolves of Calla

Isn't King incredible?

Amazing stuff
jack

Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough... Back in about '95 I tried to read the first in the Gunslinger series (believe me, I wanted to like a book about a gunslinger!) and I just...couldn't...stay with it. The first Idunno 20-30 pages bored the shit out of me -- and what's more, it didn't even seem like Stephen King's writing! I was thinking of The Shining and Salem's Lot... it was nothing like those.

I haven't read any King more recent than IT, believe it or not -- but at the same time, what I have read of his work makes me regard him as just about my favorite author of all time. I'll eventually get around to reading most of his writing, I guess. Eventually. Meanwhile, I've read some others of them three times.
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Truly Jeffrey,

It's hard at first, because it isn't like anything he typically writes, but if you work through the flat spots you'll find that he manages to go places that are great.

It is different, you just gotta hang in there. In the end it is worth it big time.

peace

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Anything by Louis de Berniere - one of the best writers IMHO alive today - he really sucks you in to the atmosphere and location where he is writing.

Probably best to start on Capt Correli's Mandolin, then work on to 'The War of Don Emmanuels Nether Parts" Great book!!
B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I just read Timeline yesterday--had some time.

I, too, LOVE Michael Crichton. :$:)

Do yourself a favor and do not bother with Next. Awful, awful, awful.

I'm working on The World Without Us. Fascinating read.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Currently reading some L.E. Modesitt - The Elysium Commission. It's been an enjoyable read so far, but I've always enjoyed Modesitt's work.

I'm saving "Friday Night Lights" for the vacation flight on Friday.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Shpanks!

I don't even bother finishing anything I get a quarter-of-the-way into and it still sucks.

I LOVE a good book recommendation.

Timeline wasn't awesome, but worth the read. It had some inconsistecies and my own "issues", but I definitely wasn't bored. :)

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Hee hee. Back from the beyond...

I'm currently reading The Western Heritage, by Kagan, et al. It's a gripping, moving, emotional rollercoaster of a ride, lemme tell ya.

Tomorrow I'll be reading Modern East Asia: From 1600, by Ebrey, et al. An equally gripping, moving and emotional ride through the same era covered in The Western Heritage.

The World Without Us

P.S.

You're the umpteenth person to recommend this book to me. And recently someone mentioned it in a thread in SC and it was like an, "O.K! I fucking get it! I'll read it!" moment. :P

So, I will. :)
I still have three books to read before it. I read an entire book fairly quickly. It's like an enjoyable job. But, I take long breaks in-between :$ so....

I'll get back to you. :)

But, I take long breaks in-between so....

Sacrilege!!!!

Burn the witch!!! BURN HER!!!!

*blinks*

Oh, sorry....carry on, then!! :P

Seriously, though... out of all the creature comforts, the one I couldn't live without is books...I'm ALWAYS reading.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

:D

Seriously, though... out of all the creature comforts, the one I couldn't live without is books...I'm ALWAYS reading.

I'm getting there. I'm 27. I've done a lot of research, but until recently not a lot of "for nothing other than indulgent pleasure" reading.

I decided the problem was a lamp. :$:D I like reading in our master, and we have excellent natural light, soothing whites & comfy seats. But, I HATE "fake light". It has to be dim and demure--emitting just enough to find your way around.

And in all seriousness--the other day I was annoyed when the sun set and I was not decidedly finished reading. So I searched online for a lamp that was similar to the one I'd coveted but for a fraction of the price. I don't like to settle. But, I finally found one.

It arrived just this past Friday. Now, there's no excuse. >:(

I spend so much time reading school books that I don't usually want to read in my spare time.

I just said that, too. B|

And I've said it before years ago, and still--I'm no longer working toward any sort of additional degrees, but I'm always reading for some purpose.

On my short list.

-- The Universe and the Teacup: The Mathematics of Truth and Beauty. Non-technical exploration of the role of mathematics in popular culture and other things you wouldn’t expect. Being techie-inclined I actually wish the author included equations. :)
-- The Making of a Digital World: The Evolution of Technological Change and How It Shaped Our World

“Providing a unique, empirically based perspective on the past and future development of globalization as a long-term process emerging in different parts of the world, this book puts current changes in a historical context in a systematic fashion, unpacking the global political, economic, social, and cultural implications of this change. It traces the resemblance of past commercial networks with emerging digital networks and contrasts them with industrial production systems.” Just got it to review. :)
-- Chemical Warfare Agents: Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutics. I’m overdue on a review adult book report of this one too. :D

-- Out of Bounds: Transnational Sanctuary in Irregular Warfare – the latest CSI Occasional Paper from the Army’s Combined Arms Center. Two case studies on North Vietnamese hiding in Laos & Cambodia and the Soviet experience in Afghanistan w/emphasis on interactions w/Pakistan. The conclusion includes a discussion (“Sanctuary Doctrine”) on sanctuaries on irregular warfare and the need for a countervailing strategy to deal with them.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Right now I am reading "World without End" by Ken Follett. I had read "Pillars of the Earth Last Spring." Just read "Lie Down With Lions" by him as well which was really interesting. I also just read "Mirror Image" by Sandra Brown. I also just got done with "Split Second" and "Hour Game" by David Baldachi - all have been interesting reads.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I'm big into historical fiction so I would recommend:

The Virgin's Lover (Philippa Gregory - who also wrote The Other Boleyn Girl - great book - horrible movie) About Queen Elizabeth's early years in her reign - full of treachery, plotting, love affairs, and romance (all the men can quietly yak in the corner).

Quirky book:

Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen) - The story of a man's life with the circus, some great details and stories (yes, it does have romance in it as well).

Science Fiction (really anything by Robert Heinlein), but most recent was:

The Puppet Masters - "creepy science fiction novel about "slugs from outer space." At key points throughout the U.S., an invasion force takes over communications, government, industry and, most importantly, people's minds and bodies. Can Sam Cavanaugh, a can-do intelligence officer, stop this invasion? "

All good books and pretty easy reads.

it was a good read, much better than "cell" which was really disappointing in my eyes.

typically king i'd say, and if you've read every book as i have, he gets somehow predictable. doesnt mean its a bad thing, but i've been more catched by surprise in the earlier days.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I've only read a couple of King's novels and both a long time ago.

I find just about everything predictable, however. I don't know what it is, but very few things or people surprise me. So when something does I get really excited about it.