JohnnyMarko

Seatbelts

I have never ever cut a dead body out of a seatbelt!

I have untangled a significant number of dead bodies out of crashed cars, while taking pictures of their shiny seatbelt sitting retracted against the B-pillar. Then again, that is a function of my job (fatality accident investigation).

A friend of mine is an Illinois State Trooper and he makes EXACTLY the same observation.

He wasn't the one who gave me a ticket for doing 39 in a 35 is he? >:(

Always, always, always. No exceptions. Same goes for all of my passengers.
I'm always having to remind my parents-in-law to buckle up in my car. Then they spend 5 minutes fumbling around with it as if they'd never used one before. Maybe it's because they've never used one before. ("We do so!" Yeah, right.)

Back when my oldest was a toddler I caught the 'rents-n-law having driven her somewhere without buckling her into her car-seat because "She was crying; how can you just let a child cry?" I almost slew them with my bare hands.

My sister in law once asked me how I got all of my kids to wear a seatbelt with no complaining or crying. I told her our car wouldn't start unless the seatbelts were fastened. She said "REALLY?!" So of course I told her the car would start fine, but the kids didn't know that! All you have to do is be smarter than a 2 year old who wants to go to grandmas house!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Some people are just stupid.

What an incredibly asinine thing to say. But thanks for you thoughts on it anyway.

You're welcome? Care to share why you think that not wearing a seat belt is not stupid?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Some people are just stupid.

What an incredibly asinine thing to say. But thanks for you thoughts on it anyway.

You're welcome? Care to share why you think that not wearing a seat belt is not stupid?

How comfortable you are with any particular risk is a very personal thing. Jumping out of an airplane is just stupid.

I tend to wear a seatbelt.

How comfortable you are with any particular risk is a very personal thing. Jumping out of an airplane is just stupid.

Fair enough - I can see your point there. Actual rebuttals are less asinine if you're trying to get someone to appreciate a different angle. But maybe that's just me. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi woman,

That story reminds me of a test I did many moons ago. I was in college ( I'm a Mech Engr ) and had a part-time job in the test lab at Freightliner Corp ( a large truck mfr that was located here in Portland, OR ). At that time we were buying seatbelts and just installing them in the cabs of the trucks. Then one day the Chief Engr thought that maybe we should know if the installation was any good or not.

At that time, seatbelts were rated at 2,000 lbs.

So I went & got an entire floor pan for a truck and rigged up a testing apparatus and started testing seatbelts.

The results were that they broke on an average of 4,200 lbs and that, in every case, the webbing had been cut at least 2/3's by the seatbelt hardware. The hardware that cut the webbing was almost identical to the 500 lb chest strap adaptor found on most skydiving rigs.

Our installation of those seatbelts was just fine; I never had one test in which the attachment ripped out of the floor pan.

Just some info for those that might care . . . :P

JerryBaumchen

hmmmmm.... I didn't know if I should really post my "real" opinion to this poll in this "safety aware" population; but what the hell.

Seatbelts? Always when others are in the car or if I'm a passenger. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone else or increase the pain/guilt of my friends by avoidable injuries. But... it would likely be under 25% when I'm in my car by myself... and 0% when on my bike (but I do wear my helmet all the time)

Why? personal reasons (some call them "excuses") Yes, I know what I do. I know what it means. But... why lie to all ya'll?

I only wear a seat belt because I do not want to pay for the ticket. Working in the Fire Department for several years I saw a few people that were killed because they were wearing a seat belt, unfortunately that doesn't fly in court.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

hmmmmm.... I didn't know if I should really post my "real" opinion to this poll in this "safety aware" population; but what the hell.

Seatbelts? Always when others are in the car or if I'm a passenger. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone else or increase the pain/guilt of my friends by avoidable injuries. But... it would likely be under 25% when I'm in my car by myself... and 0% when on my bike (but I do wear my helmet all the time)

Why? personal reasons (some call them "excuses") Yes, I know what I do. I know what it means. But... why lie to all ya'll?

So when driving by yourself you are Ok with becoming a bio-missile and potentially negatively impacting others?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I only wear a seat belt because I do not want to pay for the ticket. Working in the Fire Department for several years I saw a few people that were killed because they were wearing a seat belt, unfortunately that doesn't fly in court.

That may not fly in court, but in 1985 I saw with my own two little eyes, a car coming down a (steep) hill with left curve. Many cars at the bottom at the light. Low and behold, much smoke, screeching of brakes/tires. I looked up and saw a man wearing shorts and no shirt (not relevant, just one of those moments trapped in time) cartwheeling through the air over the embankment. The car followed him.

Given the trajectory, I find it hard to believe the car didn't land on him, but even if it didn't, the catapult and abrupt deceleration surely killed him. I thought skydivers got that basic fact.

lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

...bio-missile potentially impacting others?

Pretty much describes my RW skills...:|:ph34r:

The ol' combat RW dog that you are.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So when driving by yourself you are Ok with becoming a bio-missile and potentially negatively impacting others?

As I explained to a college kid recently: "you being killed by not wearing your seatbelt does significantly effect others, not just you. I have to respond to investigate the fatality, which effects me emotionally. That's fine, I deal with that, but what makes it worst is that you are now personally responsible for my insurance rates since you just died in a car wreck near where I live because you were too selfish to wear a seatbelt. Now that I don't want to deal with because that is money out of my pocket."

"Safety aware" population? I'm a competitive swooper who spends his work week on the back of a motorcycle and I'm saying you should wear one. Take your chances where they should be taken, not for laziness.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Problems is (or one of the) is the people do not see it as being selfish..... they only 'think' that it's their so called freedom being invaded.... no accounting for stupid, I guess.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

As I explained to a college kid recently: "you being killed by not wearing your seatbelt does significantly effect others, not just you. I have to respond to investigate the fatality, which effects me emotionally. That's fine, I deal with that, but what makes it worst is that you are now personally responsible for my insurance rates since you just died in a car wreck near where I live because you were too selfish to wear a seatbelt. Now that I don't want to deal with because that is money out of my pocket."

"Safety aware" population? I'm a competitive swooper who spends his work week on the back of a motorcycle and I'm saying you should wear one. Take your chances where they should be taken, not for laziness.

I agree completely, but I have to add: I feel the same way about wearing/not wearing motorcycle helmets. I personally think it's dumb not to wear one while riding on roadways, but that's my own risk-assessment opinion. But just like not wearing a seatbelt - and unlike mere personal risk like, for example, skydiving - not wearing a motorcycle helmet means that other people's auto insurance premiums will be higher, since more people will be hurt, hurt worse or killed from lack of a helmet during an accident. That does translate to higher liability risk for others on the road who might potentially get into an accident with an un-helmeted motorcyclist (which is anyone, and therefore it's everyone), and that does translate into higher auto liability premiums to offset that risk.

It could be argued that our Skydiving insurance premiums rise based upon the accident rate ... or Perceived Danger in our sport.

So every time there is an Incident our premiums can be affected. Even though I'm still 'waiting' to have my accident[:/].. I'm still paying for all the ones that have already occurred ....:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Fair enough - I can see your point there. Actual rebuttals are less asinine if you're trying to get someone to appreciate a different angle. But maybe that's just me. :P

"Some people have a way with words… some people… not have way." Steve Martin

Guess which one I am?;)

Yeah, everybody knows someone who knows someone who was either killed because of the seatbelt, or would have been killed if they were wearing one. (I realize that isn't what you said)

They all seem to ignore the people they know who wouldn't have been killed if they had been wearing one. The car stops, the person doesn't. Either out through the windshield and headfirst into a tree, building, other car (and on and on). Or the car rolls, the person goes out the window and the car lands on them. One friend went straight up when the car rolled. They estimated that he went up about 20 feet and landed on the pavement. On his head.

I've lost too many friends who would still be here if they had been belted in to believe the bullshit about "Being killed because of the seatbelt." Yes, it happens, but not nearly as much as a lot of people think.

That being said, I fully believe that seatbelts and motorcycle helmets should be a choice (for adults anyway).
I never drive or ride without a seatbelt or helmet, but I believe it should be my choice.
If nothing else, it ups the Darwin effect.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have never ever cut a dead body out of a seatbelt!

I have untangled a significant number of dead bodies out of crashed cars, while taking pictures of their shiny seatbelt sitting retracted against the B-pillar. Then again, that is a function of my job (fatality accident investigation).

A friend of mine is an Illinois State Trooper and he makes EXACTLY the same observation.

He wasn't the one who gave me a ticket for doing 39 in a 35 is he? >:(

No, he doesn't do tickets.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.