nad

The Left Lane

You are correct, if one is driving under the posted speed limit when conditions are favorable for the posted limit.

Wrong. If you are going slower than the flow of traffic you can get a ticket. I have seen it happen.

Sparky

(b.) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

Maybe you're not reading the law correctly...

21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

I bolded the part you're clearly missing here. Sure, maybe you've seen people get tickets for going slower than traffic but faster than the posted speed limit. However, you could take it to court and easily get it thrown out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Wrong. If you are going slower than the flow of traffic you can get a ticket. I have seen it happen.

I already said that I agree with you.
My statement:
"You are correct, if one is driving under the posted speed limit when conditions are favorable for the posted limit."

I think you are just misinterpreting what I wrote.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I bolded the part you're clearly missing here. Sure, maybe you've seen people get tickets for going slower than traffic but faster than the posted speed limit. However, you could take it to court and easily get it thrown out.

Correct. That is exactly what I am saying.
Let's say traffic is flowing at 80mph, but the posted limit is 60mph. The person driving at 60mph would not be in the wrong. If ticketed, the person would win in court as he/she were not beyond the maximum posted limit for that road. There is no legal leeway above the limit, as there is for under.
Although, most do go with the flow. It is usually the last vehicle in a given group of speeders that gets the ticket.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

As long as they are doing the posted speed limit, they are doing nothing wrong. It is against the law to go faster than the posted limit to pass someone who is doing the posted limit.
But of course, I would never go faster than what is posted:);)

In the Chicago area they have "speed limit" signs on the freeways but they are advisory only. You can overtake a State Trooper going 85 on the Dan Ryan and he/she will ignore you.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I weight at least 35,000 pounds in a low weight rig, vs. your 3,000 to 4,000 pound car. You.... will.... loose.

My rig is 32,000+ EMPTY.

I hear ya. This rig I am driving is actually just a baby rig... Ford F450 & 38 foot show trailer. Nice ride though, and it fits on my driveway! :P

One morning, driving to work, I approach a car in the left lane going the same speed as the car in the middle lane. And the car in front of me continued to the same speed. At this point, I tend to get a little pissed . I'm mean c'mon at least be considerate! Either speed up, slow down, and move over so I can pass.

Get a grip man. You're on the freeway, doing better than a mile a minute toward your destination. Don't let a car being in front of you effect your mood or mindset. It's not a race, you're driving to work.

Are you driving? Check.

Towards work? Check.

Mission accomplished.

I drive 30,000+ miles a year and can tell you, for the sake of your license, insurance rates, health, and sanity, just get there when you get there.

Get a grip man. You're on the freeway, doing better than a mile a minute toward your destination. Don't let a car being in front of you effect your mood or mindset. It's not a race, you're driving to work.

Are you driving? Check.

Towards work? Check.

Mission accomplished.

I drive 30,000+ miles a year and can tell you, for the sake of your license, insurance rates, health, and sanity, just get there when you get there.

I understand that it's not a race, nor is it my mindset when I drive (I have already learned from my past mistakes). But, if I'm going to cruise at 70mph and the person in front of me is doing 65mph in the left lane, get out of the way. Especially if there is no traffic in front of the person. Be conscious of the rear view mirror, if people are approaching you and you are not passing anyone, get out of the way.

And I just want to clarify. When I'm pissed while driving, I'm not going into super road rage BAMF that wants to drive the person off the road. I just get a little frustrated at the fact that the person in front of me is holding up traffic. Especially if there are a butt load of cars that are fast approaching.

It is against the law to go faster than the posted limit to pass someone who is doing the posted limit.

Actually, that is not true of Washington state.

".....That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RCW 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety."

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

edit: oops, that's only for a vehicle traveling less than the speed limit. But you still are legally allowed to exceed the posted limit.

I drive 50 miles each way for over two hours total each day. I get pissed when someone slow gets in the left lane and stays there without moving over or even looking in their rearview mirrors. But I've been behind all kinds of cars thinking...oh this has got to be a ...oh lets just say "mexican' they usually drive pretty damn slow...then I get up next to them and its a white dude. No matter how many times I think..oh it'll be...this...its something I dont expect. All kinds of people drive slow...its how you creatively pass them up that sets you apart. :ph34r:

When the freeway is quite busy/full, some people still expect to be able to go as fast as they want, despite the fact that all of the lanes are full of traffic. That is completely unreasonable.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You know, they really should build me my own lane on the interstate. I mean, you minions are so far below my mad skillz that it is not fair to either of us to have to share the road. :):)

:D:D:D:D

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

You know, they really should build me my own lane on the interstate. I mean, you minions are so far below my mad skillz that it is not fair to either of us to have to share the road. :):)

:D:D:D:D

Quite right!

Some apparently think they are the only drivers that want to go faster than the rest of traffic, no matter how overloaded the freeway is, with all the lanes being fully utilized - get out of my way! I've even found many "professional" truck drivers to be tailgaters in this way.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am