Skyper

Horse shoe + cut-off + reserve

in cases where horseshoe cannot be solved, standard reserve procedure says: cut main+pull reserve.

If we cut main in this situation there is still a big chance that it will remain attached to the other point (of horseshoe). When the reserve is deployed the chances of main-reserve entaglement are huge!

Is this correct reasoning?

in cases where horseshoe cannot be solved, standard reserve procedure says: cut main+pull reserve.

If we cut main in this situation there is still a big chance that it will remain attached to the other point (of horseshoe). When the reserve is deployed the chances of main-reserve entaglement are huge!

Its better than nuthin.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I get to this chain of thought after reading one fatality report on this site. The guy was not able to solve horseshoe, he cutted and pulled reserve... and both chutes were entangled...

I have a feeling that horse-shoe is kind of Pmal's which is very hard to solve with standard reserve procedure. And just pulling (without cutoff) can be even worse... hmm.

I get to this chain of thought after reading one fatality report on this site. The guy was not able to solve horseshoe, he cutted and pulled reserve... and both chutes were entangled...

I have a feeling that horse-shoe is kind of Pmal's which is very hard to solve with standard reserve procedure. And just pulling (without cutoff) can be even worse... hmm.

SO, take care of your gear (keep your closing loop in good shape), pack your pilot chute in a way that allows for extration if you do have a loop break.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

SO, take care of your gear (keep your closing loop in good shape), pack your pilot chute in a way that allows for extration if you do have a loop break.

Or jump a pull-out.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Or jump a pull-out.

Or you could get a rig with a reserve side pouch release...

;)

That's why it is generally considered the scariest of the malfunctions, and the best option is to avoid one.

Maintain your gear especially closing loops.

Do gear checks.

Protect your gear in the aircraft and on the skydive.

Remove snag hazards in the possible path of the pilot chute.

A pullout can reduce the chances, but not eliminate the possibility.

And the correct term is "Breakaway".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yes.

Now you know why a horseshoe is a skydiver's worst nightmare.

It may happen that the cutaway main may disentangle itself on cutaway...odds are small but it has happened.

What causes horseshoe mals is:
1. Improper main deployment throw-out
2. Bad body position at opening
3. Poor gear maintenance

Prevention options are:
1. Proper throw for a throw-out system
2. Ripcord system where there's no throw involved.
3. Good body position at opening
4. Proper gear mantenance
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Or jump a pull-out.

You do understand that jumping a pull-out addresses only ONE of that many possible scenarios which could result in a horseshoe right?

~Just don't want you to think you can never have one...

To the OP, the reason you chop a shoe is because there is a chance that maybe increasing the tension on the other point of attachment might clear it, and with the risers disconnected you won't have a 2 out deployment scenario.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One thing that scares me about horeshoes, that is rarely taught is just cutting away a horeshoe isnt enough to clear it from the 3 rings. There isnt enough tension to open your riser covers. Billy Webber did a few test jumps where they intentionally caused a horeshoe, and after he cut away, he had to physically open his riser covers, and pull the risers out of the 3 rings. His reserve cleanly deployed on the video's I saw after he cleared his risers. But its definitely a malfunction you want to avoid. Generally its an easily avoidable situation. Like everyone else said, maintain your gear, and when climbing out dont rub your rig on the door.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

popsjumber, diablopilot, rduch, theonlinsky, thank you all for your quick responses. Now I can sleep a bit better :)

I also like the point Rduch made about manualy releasing the risers. It gives at least a feeling that it's possible to do something about it.

What is pull-out?

If we cut main in this situation there is still a big chance that it will remain attached to the other point (of horseshoe). When the reserve is deployed the chances of main-reserve entanglement are huge!

Yes.

Now you know why a horseshoe is a skydiver's worst nightmare.

It may happen that the cutaway main may disentangle itself on cutaway...odds are small but it has happened.

What causes horseshoe mals is:
1. Improper main deployment throw-out
2. Bad body position at opening
3. Poor gear maintenance

Prevention options are:
1. Proper throw for a throw-out system
2. Ripcord system where there's no throw involved.
3. Good body position at opening
4. Proper gear maintenance

IOW
If you take care of all the little maintenance issues, the big problems will take care of themselves.

the reason you chop a shoe is because there is a chance that maybe increasing the tension on the other point of attachment might clear it, and with the risers disconnected you won't have a 2 out deployment scenario.

I think the biggest reason for chopping a horseshoe is so you don't have the main spanning the reserve container, which almost guarantees a main/reserve entanglement. If you eliminate one of the attachment points by cutting away, the reserve deploys beside the main instead of into it, and gives you a better chance of a clean reserve deployment.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Thaks Brian, it makes sense. If only one point is attached after cut off the chances for entanglement are smaller.

And regarding the low preasure on three ring system and risers in the case of horseshoe. The reserve procedure should be something like: check altimeter, cut main, release risers manualy, pull reserve.

if too low, just stanard procedure cut main + pull reserve.

And regarding the low preasure on three ring system and risers in the case of horseshoe. The reserve procedure should be something like: check altimeter, cut main, release risers manualy, pull reserve.

Please practice this on the ground if you're going to use this as your emergency procedures for a horseshoe. It is not the best idea to have differing emergency procedures for different scenerios, because things happen FAST with high speed mals.

Adding tasks in between your cutaway and reserve pull aren't usually a good idea, as it is much better to get a reserve over your head than to ride a high speed mal into the ground because you were trying to get clear space to fire your reserve.

That being said, I had a non-traditional horseshoe last year. Ever since I was a student I had always rehearsed in my head that in the case of a horseshoe I would cutaway, manually release risers and pull the reserve. It is extremely difficult to manually release your risers in freefall, especially if you have riser covers that don't leave a lot of the riser exposed. I know this because I wasn't able to clear both my risers in freefall before I HAD to pull my reserve.

The good thing is that the modern reserve extraction system is pretty resiliant, but it still doesn't make it any less of a dangerous situation.

Please practice this on the ground if you're going to use this as your emergency procedures for a horseshoe. It is not the best idea to have differing emergency procedures for different scenerios, because things happen FAST with high speed mals.

Adding tasks in between your cutaway and reserve pull aren't usually a good idea, as it is much better to get a reserve over your head than to ride a high speed mal into the ground because you were trying to get clear space to fire your reserve.

That being said, I had a non-traditional horseshoe last year. Ever since I was a student I had always rehearsed in my head that in the case of a horseshoe I would cutaway, manually release risers and pull the reserve. It is extremely difficult to manually release your risers in freefall, especially if you have riser covers that don't leave a lot of the riser exposed. I know this because I wasn't able to clear both my risers in freefall before I HAD to pull my reserve.

The good thing is that the modern reserve extraction system is pretty resiliant, but it still doesn't make it any less of a dangerous situation.

thank u for advice. I'll practice it on the ground.

How did your hourseshoe ended?

the reason you chop a shoe is because there is a chance that maybe increasing the tension on the other point of attachment might clear it, and with the risers disconnected you won't have a 2 out deployment scenario.

I think the biggest reason for chopping a horseshoe is so you don't have the main spanning the reserve container, which almost guarantees a main/reserve entanglement. If you eliminate one of the attachment points by cutting away, the reserve deploys beside the main instead of into it, and gives you a better chance of a clean reserve deployment.

That's what I was saying, just not as clearly as you described it...thanks.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And the correct term is "Breakaway".

No it's not. He's Dutch. And if the British can talk about RAPS instead of whatever the hell the American term is, WE are allowed to talk about our reserve procedures. :P

OP, as you haven't filled out your profile, I'm assuming you haven't got a lot of experience. Hence, I agree with Surfgrl1. Do not rehearse different reserve procedures for different scenarios. Stick to what you're taught - it offers the most chance of getting down alive.

Yadda yadda internet advice blah blah root of all evil. So at the very least consult an instructor who knows a lot about this kind of thing - face to face, that is.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

No it's not. He's Dutch. And if the British can talk about RAPS instead of whatever the hell the American term is, WE are allowed to talk about our reserve procedures.

Since the designer, inventor, and patent holder of the three ring system has coined the term "Breakaway" I'd say the appropriate term is Breakaway.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi nt8us,

Actually longer than 1 1/2 shots. I started in early '64 and we used both terms then.

~1966 I wrote to USPA ( PCA in those days ) about doing a cutaway jump and they responded that 'cutaways,' where you actually cut the lines away were not allowed but a breakaway using proper equipment would be allowed.

Semantics - sheesh; and the arguments go on . . .

JerryBaumchen