loumeinhart

this drummer is at the wrong gig!

Yeah, he's been around for awhile.

Fine to pull that kind of crap during a drum SOLO, but I personally think it's annoying as hell if somebody else is standing out front singing for some douche bag to be literally upstaging him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It may be annoying, but that's why he's with the band (was hired as a showcase) Aside from his way over the top performance (which isn't on every song) he's a rock-solid drummer who regularly performs at workshops and schools.
In other words, he's a performer. A damn good one.
I've traveled to Vegas solely to see him perform.
Amazing how his career has taken off since that video went viral.
Hats off to anyone who can do anything like he does.

BTW, part of their showcase at HOB is that the frontman pretends to be annoyed by Moore, and Moore pretends to stop his performance whenever Rik turns around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfMFrpa66TI&feature=related

Very tasty, and even without the visuals...nice grooves.

It may be annoying, but that's why he's with the band (was hired as a showcase) Aside from his way over the top performance (which isn't on every song) he's a rock-solid drummer who regularly performs at workshops and schools.
In other words, he's a performer. A damn good one.
I've traveled to Vegas solely to see him perform.
Amazing how his career has taken off since that video went viral.
Hats off to anyone who can do anything like he does.

BTW, part of their showcase at HOB is that the frontman pretends to be annoyed by Moore, and Moore pretends to stop his performance whenever Rik turns around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfMFrpa66TI&feature=related

Needs MORE COW BELL
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well, you're the professional musician.

All I know is what I like. I guess he can keep time, but I don't like the guy's style. He comes off as one of those douche bags that always has to be the center of attention. Just rubs me wrong philosophically.
quade -

Well, you're the professional musician.

All I know is what I like. I guess he can keep time, but I don't like the guy's style. He comes off as one of those douche bags that always has to be the center of attention. Just rubs me wrong philosophically.

He's doin' well with it. Seen the new Virgin Air ad featuring him? It's funny as hell.
Can't find it on Youtube, but it comes up as a banner on a few musician pages. He's the "seatmate from hell."
From what I briefly met and have read, he's a very, very humble guy. Read his blog some time, going back to well before he got "famous."

At least he doesn't have a cowbell. :P
If you watch the video I linked, get to around 3/4 of the way through and you'll see him juggle 3 sticks, hit on an audience member, and take stick tosses from the crowd without missing a beat (well...he does miss one). It's fun, talented, and something well worth paying to see.

He comes off as one of those douche bags that always has to be the center of attention. Just rubs me wrong philosophically.

oh you mean like FRONT MEN:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

He's doin' well with it.

Ok, fine, but that's never going to be my metric for what is and isn't right or good.

Different stokes for different folks too. If you dig the guy, that's cool.
quade -

He comes off as one of those douche bags that always has to be the center of attention. Just rubs me wrong philosophically.

I'd be just as pissed off if the guy fronting the band decided to pick up some clubs and start juggling during a band member's solo. You'll occasionally find some jackass that decides he's going to "dance" all over a guy's solo, but the good ones are cool about it.
quade -

I'd be just as pissed off if the guy fronting the band decided to pick up some clubs and start juggling during a band member's solo. You'll occasionally find some jackass that decides he's going to "dance" all over a guy's solo, but the good ones are cool about it.
you still seem to fail to realise that it IS part of the show, and a FEATURE at that.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you still seem to fail to realise that it IS part of the show, and a FEATURE at that.

No. I get it. He's a featured jackass. How long can that really be kept up as a valid act? Think about it. He's making himself less of a drummer and more of a clown and according to DSE, "He's doin' well with it." Ok, fine. For how long? Does the joke even work if the audience knows it's a joke?

I dunno. I think the guy ought to make his own band and front it from the drum kit like Buddy Rich, but the jackass act behind the singer is . . . to me . . . lame.
quade -

You'll occasionally find some jackass that decides he's going to "dance" all over a guy's solo, but the good ones are cool about it.

There are drummers that absolutely have to fill every 4 bars during someone's solo, then the 4 bars becomes 2 and the fills start earlier - before you know it the soloist is playing over a constant drum fill... other rhythm players are guilty of it too. Bad form.

It looks like this guy is having a really good time doing this. Close your eyes and he's a hell of a drummer. He may be channeling John Bonham.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

You'll occasionally find some jackass that decides he's going to "dance" all over a guy's solo, but the good ones are cool about it.

There are drummers that absolutely have to fill every 4 bars during someone's solo, then the 4 bars becomes 2 and the fills start earlier - before you know it the soloist is playing over a constant drum fill... other rhythm players are guilty of it too. Bad form.

But that ain't Steve Moore.
He plays a solid, simply hammer/crowbar backbeat with out fill. Most of his kits have no rack toms. He's not filling every eighth, quarter, half, down with a voice; he's playing machine-solid backbeats with no fills. His skill is in his stick maneuvering, facial expressions, PERFORMANCE.
He's a PERFORMER. But... he's a PERFORMER being SHOWCASED that is so good, a blind person is equally entertained.

That's the draw, the beauty, and the phenomenal talent that the biggest drum names in the world have been praising for 2 years; he is incredibly simple in his playing, while his facial expressions and sticking talent provide for a show.
He's one musician and performer to whom none of the typical drummer jokes apply.

Just last night I was having dinner with a Mennonite friend, and her comment was that most of the problem with the world today is that so many people cannot function without seeing the BAD or criticizing everything.

This guy is fun, wholesome, incredibly talented, successful. People all over the world praise him. Even most of the critical YouTube comments are in awe of his talent while keeping the band lock-steady.
Except here on DZ.com...Everybody gots to piss on it.
[:/][:/]B|

At least he's employed, makes a LOT of dough, and that's much more than one can say for *most* of this community.:P

I personally don't think it's bad form at all. I've played in several bands personally(on drums, guitar, bass, and as the front man). Frankly, if you're gonna get upset at someone getting more attention than you are, then you shouldn't be in a band.

Personally, i don't join bands for attention. I play because it's something i love to do. The attention is just a perk. However, there's ALWAYS going to be someone getting more attention than you. IMO the front man doesn't deserve any more attention than anyone else in the band. Singers are a dime a dozen(try and put an ad out for a band saying you're looking for a singer guitarist and a drummer. My money says 90% of the responses will be from singers). The attention goes to whoever can give the best show.

If one of my band mates was responsible for bringing a crowd because of his wacky antics, i'd be damn happy with that fact and wouldn't care that he or she was getting more attention than me. If you want it to be all about you, do a solo act.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Just last night I was having dinner with a Mennonite friend, and her comment was that most of the problem with the world today is that so many people cannot function without seeing the BAD or criticizing everything.

No irony there. ;)
quade -

I personally don't think it's bad form at all.

The bad form I was referring to is a musical thing, not performance.

Frankly, if you're gonna get upset at someone getting more attention than you are, then you shouldn't be in a band.

Trust me I hate attention. I play for the paycheck. I set my gear up as far back as possible so I'm not in the lights;)