Nataly

Socially acceptable answers...

Like Squeak, if it's someone who cares about me and is asking honestly I will answer honestly.

If it's just a random stranger, I usually answer "Well, I'm still above ground and sucking air, so I really shouldn't complain too much."

I have been known to answer "Ups and downs, just not enough of them" when I can't get up in the air much. My wuffo friends who know I jump usually enjoy that one.B|

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"How are you?" is almost always just a standardized form of "hello", and "fine" is nothing more than the standardized "hello to you, too".** Taking them literally is almost always silly.

** Un bonhomme avec un seul oeil rencontre un autre avec une seule jambe et lui demande:"comment ca marche?" L'autre lui repond: "Comme tu vois..."

** Un bonhomme avec un seul oeil rencontre un autre avec une seule jambe et lui demande:"comment ca marche?" L'autre lui repond: "Comme tu vois..."

:D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

"How are you?" is almost always just a standardized form of "hello", and "fine" is nothing more than the standardized "hello to you, too".** Taking them literally is almost always silly.

Yes, that's true, and a good way of looking at it. Reminds me of the first time I heard the various Arabic greetings... "Go in peace / peace be with you" etc. They told me that in the same way, they don't really think about what they are saying and it has mostly lost it's meaning so that it's the same as just saying "hello"
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I ask patients everyday how they are and the same older woman says the same thing every time.....

Terrible, just terrible.....then giggles like this... heh...heh...heh..then says...Im 90yrs old how do you think my day is? heh..heh.. heh...
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Yes, that's true, and a good way of looking at it. Reminds me of the first time I heard the various Arabic greetings... "Go in peace / peace be with you" etc. They told me that in the same way, they don't really think about what they are saying and it has mostly lost it's meaning so that it's the same as just saying "hello"

"Have a nice day y'all" - [psst ] they don't mean it:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

"Have a nice day y'all" - [psst ] they don't mean it:P

Yeah. Hypocritical bastards. :D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I ask patients everyday how they are and the same older woman says the same thing every time.....

Terrible, just terrible.....then giggles like this... heh...heh...heh..then says...Im 90yrs old how do you think my day is? heh..heh.. heh...

That sounds like Pops... you SURE its a chick? :D:D:D

"Another day in paradise"
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Examples abound in just about every language.
For example, in the Klingon dialect tlhIngan Hol, the standard greeting is "NuqneHH", which in English, translates literally to "What do you want?" Now, to us, that would seem quite rude, but to a Klingon, it's just shootin' the breeze.

For example, in the Klingon dialect tlhIngan Hol, the standard greeting is "NuqneHH", which in English, translates literally to "What do you want?" Now, to us, that would seem quite rude, but to a Klingon, it's just shootin' the breeze.

Have you seen the documentary "Trekkies?"
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

:| I don't understand.

Well, that exact comment was brought up and I thought you may have seen it.

I was making fun of trekkies who take it so seriously, as if it's not fiction. OK, the joke bombed.

No, I haven't seen the documentary; so to me, it was a random reference.

"All the better for seeing you" or "just great up until now", depending on who's asking. ;)

I had a friend who would always greet me with "What do you know?" That was a tough one.

That's really easy:

"All sorts of stuff, but not much that's of any real use."

I have an incredible memory for all sorts of useless trivia, but often can't remember what I needed at the store unless I make a list. ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I live in "Old Lady Land" and with with 3,500 of the dorkiest SOB's and 500 of the fattest most pissed off women on the planet. Needless to say I really do hate my life outside of skydiving, rock climbing and just not being at home or work.
I've come to the conclusion that screaming, kicking or punching the SOB who is dumb enough to ask me how I feel...is not the best thing to do...though it would feel really freaking good to take one of these no name polo wearing shirt dorks to the ground and pounding their freaking fat greasy heads into the pavement......but then there is the going to jail thing which I am not too interested in.
And flipping them off just gets you a passive aggressive little "he he funny" come back.
So what was option 1? Yeah that one! But as they walk way under your breath just call them asshole!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Although, I should add; no matter how I am feeling on any given day I answer "OUTSTANDING" with a smile. No one ever expects that answer, and it always makes me feel better, and generally makes them feel better (that is the assumption because they usually perk up) :)

Hello Nice lady!

Ditto:)
I always respond MARVELOUS! with a phony boston accent:)
We get the same response as yours.;)

"Hello nice lady " is a fun greeting that we've been using for at least 10 yr's.

Most of the response's are positive. The negative responses are :D. The teens at the drive thru window looks over her shoulder Like I'm greeting her boss.

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

I was making fun of trekkies who take it so seriously, as if it's not fiction. OK, the joke bombed.

No, I haven't seen the documentary; so to me, it was a random reference.

Then you should really watch it, Netflix has it. You'll laugh very hard at many of the people on there!

Let's say someone asks "how are you?"
And let's say things are going spectacularly SHIT.
What do you answer?

Discuss, elaborate, expand, et cetera. :)

"Thank you. Thank you for asking. You're very kind."

That's all. It's an Irish thing. Totally non-committal.

jon