lawrocket

Traffic gripes

This morning I was confronted yet again with trying to walk across a street and a vehicle coming the other way stopped at a sign. So I start walking. Imagine my surprise when I get yelled at...

The rudeness (and stupidity) of some drivers is amazing. Once I was (legally) crossing the street in a crosswalk when someone zoomed right through. Not only did she almost hit me, but she gave me the finger because she had to swerve around me.:S

The other half of the problem is, yes you have the right of way, but if a car was about to hit you, you weren't paying attention either.

I see it all the time in San Francisco, people just walk across the street without looking both ways first because there's a law.

Well, you have a point there. Stepping into a crosswalk without checking for traffic is asking for trouble. In that instance, I'd waited for traffic to clear before I stepped into the street, but the speeding finger lady zoomed around a corner and tried to flatten me.

edited to add: (Well, I suppose everyone who survives being hit by a car says there weren't any cars coming and that the offending vehicle "came out of nowhere":$
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

edited to add: (Well, I suppose everyone who survives being hit by a car says there weren't any cars coming and that the offending vehicle "came out of nowhere":$

You're right, if you're unaware of the proceeding vehicle, in theory it came out if nowhere.

Im glad you got the middle finger rather than her front bumper! Look, and be safe(r);)

I've become more "hyper aware" too, being on the giving end of hitting a pedestrian when I was 17. I hit a 13 year old girl that litertrally ran into traffic (me). I didn't see her til her head smashed my windscreen. She obviously didn't simply look. I could of killed her, glad she got away with some broken bones only. Even when people aren't in the crosswalk crossing, I always stop for them even if it pisses off the people behind me driving. I don't want someone hurt if I could help it.

As far as red light runners, California has a lot of that. I keep my eye on traffic my journey across these streets. Same with crossing intersections in my car, I get a visual of what everyones doing before I proceed.

You're right, if you're unaware of the proceeding vehicle, in theory it came out if nowhere.

Im glad you got the middle finger rather than her front bumper! Look, and be safe(r);)

If you see them and they aren't at an extreme speed better to launch yourself into their windshield. If they are charging a marked crosswalk, and you're armed, better to assume they are attempting to kill you and empty your firearm into the drivers side of their vehicle.

What are some other traffic assholes out there?

When trying to pass somone going 45 in a 55 on a two lane hwy and their ego decides to accelerate untill either you get back in formation behind them or head-on into a semi.:D

Those people are my favorite...

Oh yes! Out here, there are people that do 45 until there is a passing lane. At which point they rocket up to 80 where nobody can pass them. I've been known to pass them quickly, get in front of them and let as many cars from the three mile backup around them as I can. It's something having those pricks honking at me because I'm slowing them down to let others pass.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

a few traffic gripes-

people on the phone who can't maintain the speed limit and can't keep from drifting into other lanes. hang up and drive or pull over to talk.

people who race to the front of a lane that ends and cause a bottle neck slow down for the people who paid attention to the signs and got over earlier. merge earlier and keep traffic flowing.

people at the front of the line at a red light who decide that's when they need to: dig around in the back seat, get more into thier text or phone conversation, or drift off into a daydream. i'm not saying you have to be ready to burn rubber as soon as it turns green, but pay attention the people you're holding up behind you have places to go too.

tow truck drivers who tailgate and flash thier amber light to try to get people to move out of thier way. you are not an emergency vehilce quit trying to act like one.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

What are some other traffic assholes out there?

The rolling stop. It is, in fact, running a red light. I was hit at the 4-way stop by my house, but I was fine because I was young, quick, and lucky. The old guy hit in the same place a few months later wasn't as young, quick, or lucky, and ended up dead.

One I've been noticing a lot lately is driving the wrong way up a one-way parking structure to save half a minute doing a lap of the small structure. It's the driving equivalent of landing in the wrong direction, and I'm just waiting for the day they go head-on into someone, and I hope it isn't me.

On the turn signal thing, I was told a trick by an LA native when I moved here in the 90's - you put on your left blinker to change lanes, and start drifting right. Everyone clears out from your right side, and then *presto* you can easily change lanes to your right...

people who race to the front of a lane that ends and cause a bottle neck slow down for the people who paid attention to the signs and got over earlier. merge earlier and keep traffic flowing.

I'd prefer that the merging lane stays full and everybody just zippers when it ends - and keep traffic flowing - rather than idiots that merge early and hold the others back, and then honk and try to block out those that are using all the available road space.....:ph34r:

and car pool lanes - what an idiotic idea

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi rehmwa,

and car pool lanes - what an idiotic idea

+1

Washington state did a study of their car pool lanes that were in Vancouver, WA ( just over the river from Oregon ) on I-5 and determined that they actually cause less cars per hour to get over the river.

They then got rid of them.

But Oregon; oh, no way. Oregon, the only western state where the max speed limit is 65 MPH. :S

JerryBaumchen

And the max speed limit for TRUCKS in Oregon, Washington, California, and (I think) Ohio is 55! The 18-wheeler I drive will go a bit over 70, but in those states, the engine is almost lugging in high gear.

But what I really wanted to post is this:

Did you ever notice that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anybody driving faster than you is a maniac? :S:S:S

I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.