DvK

Burglary

Hi,

so 2012 has a bad start for me... While me and my roommate weren't home for the night, some idiots decided to break into my house. They took a shitload of stuff. They took their time and looker everywhere for things that might be worth money. Including my monitor, keyboard, a guitar, guitar amp, stereo set, iPod, some cash, our f-ing microwave and so on....
Luckily I had my laptop with me and so did my roommate. And they didn't take my computer, which has tons of files and photo's on it. But it still sucks....:(

There's probable a couple of thousand euro's damage between me and my roommate. On top off that my roommate is scared to sleep at home now, she wants me to sleep in her room and probably won't sleep at home if I'm not home...

This also means I have to take a step back in skydving. For now I'll still be jumping in the weekends, but less then I'd want to... I was also gonna start doing 2-way jumps, but since instructors cost money I've postponed that too.... Has anyone here ever had a burglary?>:(

That sucks.

I haven't had a straight up breaking and entering burglary but in an apartment in Miami I had someone that had a key come in and take a camera and accesories that was in a bag, a little over a tho$1k worth. Outside I had my motorcycle stolen. They just picked up the whole thing and carried it around to a vehicle.

I also had an RC truck stolen out of my garage one time, another $1k+ gone.

Look into encrypting your laptop or putting something like this, http://preyproject.com/ on it in case it ever does get stolen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Yes, I was burgularized when I was in college and we also had a Peeping Tom, which really freaked me out. My roommates lost more than I did in the burgulary; one roommate was really mad she couldn't report to the cop that her weed was missing. :ph34r:

I'm assuming you didn't have renter's insurance? Look at it this way; your year can only get better. Keep your chin up!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes, I was burgularized when I was in college and we also had a Peeping Tom, which really freaked me out. My roommates lost more than I did in the burgulary; one roommate was really mad she couldn't report to the cop that her weed was missing. :ph34r:

I'm assuming you didn't have renter's insurance? Look at it this way; your year can only get better. Keep your chin up!

My roommate had some insurance, we'll have to wait and see how much we can get from the insurance company (probably next to nothing, those guys are the real thieves:P)

Spikes2020: You're not really allowed to protect your property where I live, had I'd been home and had I injured the thieve, he could press assault charges against me.
The police really isn't doing anything eighter... I live in a pretty shit neighbourhood, and being piss-poor students, we're not really priority to the police:(

And yea, this year will be awesome, dispite this... I've only been in the sport since Oktober, so plenty of goals to achieve the next couple of years.

Sorry to hear that. :(

I've been lucky so far in that it's never happened to me. I'm super-security conscious and do everything I can to avoid it, and I'm sure that's made a difference - but at the end of the day if someone decides they really want to break in then it's very hard to stop them. Sad to say, it's really about making your property a less inviting target than somebody else's.

Possessions are just that, and although it sucks to lose stuff you've worked hard for I think the worst thing must be the thought that some scumbag has been wandering around your home - as evidenced by your roommate's very natural reaction.

Hope you get back to normal soon!

Sorry to hear that. :(

I've been lucky so far in that it's never happened to me. I'm super-security conscious and do everything I can to avoid it, and I'm sure that's made a difference - but at the end of the day if someone decides they really want to break in then it's very hard to stop them. Sad to say, it's really about making your property a less inviting target than somebody else's.

Possessions are just that, and although it sucks to lose stuff you've worked hard for I think the worst thing must be the thought that some scumbag has been wandering around your home - as evidenced by your roommate's very natural reaction.

Hope you get back to normal soon!

It's not all luck, I guess you can do a lot yourself to prevent something like this. But when you're not home (especially in my neighbourhood) if someone wants to break into your house and steal stuff, they just can... And they can get away with it.

That someone has been wandering around in our house bothers my roommate much more then me really.. She was upset that a box of her private letters was searched by the guy for example, where I'm just filled with anger that our stuff is stolen and pissed off that I wasn't home... Because if I'd been home... Oh boy would there have been the need for an ambulance... Not a violent person, but if you come in my house uninvited I will hurt you >:(

Hi,

so 2012 has a bad start for me... While me and my roommate weren't home for the night, some idiots decided to break into my house. They took a shitload of stuff. They took their time and looker everywhere for things that might be worth money. Including my monitor, keyboard, a guitar, guitar amp, stereo set, iPod, some cash, our f-ing microwave and so on....
Luckily I had my laptop with me and so did my roommate. And they didn't take my computer, which has tons of files and photo's on it. But it still sucks....:(

There's probable a couple of thousand euro's damage between me and my roommate. On top off that my roommate is scared to sleep at home now, she wants me to sleep in her room and probably won't sleep at home if I'm not home...

This also means I have to take a step back in skydving. For now I'll still be jumping in the weekends, but less then I'd want to... I was also gonna start doing 2-way jumps, but since instructors cost money I've postponed that too.... Has anyone here ever had a burglary?>:(

Yep, our sport has really improved. Remember when the experienced jumpers would jump with the new people...for free.

Yes, two of them. One while I was away from home. They took 3/4 of my stereo (left one speaker). One while I was in the shower. He broke in and tried to attack me, but I went berserk and attacked him and he ran. Unfortunately, he grabbed my purse on the way out.

The sense of violation is the worst part. Even 30 yrs. later I walk around the house and check every door and window before I take a shower. [:/] It's understandable why your roommate is jittery now; she will be for awhile, and when your anger cools, don't be surprised if you get a reaction, too.

I hope the rest of your year is much better than the start. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

some idiots decided to break into my house. They took a shitload of stuff. They took their time and looker everywhere for things that might be worth money. Including my monitor, keyboard, a guitar, guitar amp, stereo set, iPod, some cash, our f-ing microwave and so on...

Did "so on" include your skydiving gear?

Remember when the experienced jumpers would jump with the new people...for free.

They still do...if the new people are hot.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No, I had all my skydiving gear with me at the time.. I don't have a rig yet, only an altimeter, gloves, goggles, helmet etc but that's still a couple of hundreds... I was looking around, seeing if I could find any good deals for a canopy...

Oldwomanc6: my roommate was always a bit scared pretty quick, especially when she was home alone... Luckily there's a lot of students living in this neighborhood, so if I'm at the DZ for a few days, she'll sleep at someone else or someone will come to sleep over;)

CSpenceFLY I'd only have to pay the jump for the coach, the coaches don't make money of it (well, maybe they do, maybe the DZ pays them). It kinda works on a freelance base here. And the DZ pays half the jump for the coach. So I'd pay 1.5 jump, 1 for my jump, 0.5 for that one of the coach... Can't really blame anyone, times change, plus, I think there's more people who start to skydive then ever before..

Remember when the experienced jumpers would jump with the new people...for free.

They still do...if the new people are hot.:ph34r:

so that was my problem :D

yes had a sneak thief once my own fault for forgetting to lock the front door. Didn't get much but it was still a pain[:/]

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Yep, our sport has really improved. Remember when the experienced jumpers would jump with the new people...for free.

According to his profile he lives in the Netherlands. Not sure what the license requirements are there. But if he does only have 31 jumps is it possible he's still on student status? So he would have to jump with/pay for a coach? And even so, it sounds like the coach jumps there aren't too terribly expensive.

I know that as a coach if the person is a student they have to pay for a coach jump (basically they cover my slot, I don't get paid, but hey, I get a free jump). And if they bought the A package at the Farm then it's included. Once they have their license then I just consider it jumping with a friend and I cover my own slot.

According to his profile he lives in the Netherlands. Not sure what the license requirements are there. But if he does only have 31 jumps is it possible he's still on student status? So he would have to jump with/pay for a coach? And even so, it sounds like the coach jumps there aren't too terribly expensive.

I know that as a coach if the person is a student they have to pay for a coach jump (basically they cover my slot, I don't get paid, but hey, I get a free jump). And if they bought the A package at the Farm then it's included. Once they have their license then I just consider it jumping with a friend and I cover my own slot.

I'm a little under 50 jumps, I'm doing my solo jumps. Jumping with coaches is indeed not ridiculously expensive. Seeing that I only have to pay for the extra slot, and even then my DZ pays half.
The guy I approached to coach me isn't an off-season jumper (hates the weather:P) but likes my enthusiasm and likes to coach me. Like I said, I don't think he gets any money for coaching, unless the DZ pays him something...

I don't want to highjack his thread but my point is, we use to jump with the new people and they didn't have to pay for our jumps. No need to explain how the coach thing works to me.;) It's not a better system. The effort creating the coaches rating would have bee better used solving our canopy control issues.

Now back to the robbery thread.

our apartment was burgled during New Year. We only had 1 set of keys, so the first ones in bed left the door unlocked for the rest of us.

The apartment was visited while 2 were asleep. They took a recent MacBook, cash, clothes... But were decent enough to empty the pockets of the clothes they took and left wallets, cards, keys. Only took the cash, phones etc...

Now was it a message that MY clothes and older Macbook were left untouched ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

our apartment was burgled during New Year. We only had 1 set of keys, so the first ones in bed left the door unlocked for the rest of us.

The apartment was visited while 2 were asleep. They took a recent MacBook, cash, clothes... But were decent enough to empty the pockets of the clothes they took and left wallets, cards, keys. Only took the cash, phones etc...

Now was it a message that MY clothes and older Macbook were left untouched ?

In the Valais? Say it ain't so:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hi,

Not to put pressure on the subject, but it is a fact. This guy knows how to get in your place now, and knows his way around. He also knows you will be getting "new stuff" soon.........1 + 1 = 2.......Maybe set up hidden cams for when he returns.....B|

Life is short ... jump often.

Hi,

Not to put pressure on the subject, but it is a fact. This guy knows how to get in your place now, and knows his way around. He also knows you will be getting "new stuff" soon.........1 + 1 = 2.......Maybe set up hidden cams for when he returns.....B|

I'm aware of this, in the best case I'll be home when they come. Maybe a camera is a good idea, but I seriously lack the confidence in local police with matters such as these...