Salsa_John

Skyhook by RW

Not yet, according to a post by Bill Booth himself a while back. Basically whoever wants to use it has to get their rig TSOed again as well as pay for use of a patented technology.

So basically it would seem that RWS is going to "sit" on this one for a while and enjoy having it on their rigs.;)

Can't say I blame them.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think that if I didn't have 29384023948 other things to spend my money on at the moment I would send my already RSL equiped Vector3 back to have a skyhook put on it. Its not that expensive.

Nope, as dave said...

Watch the video of it, kinda neat.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

2 things stop me getting a Vector3 with Skyhook:

1) I don't like the reserve pin protector flap - the website says it's designed to stop it getting snagged, but to me it look like more of a snag hazard than on some other rigs. Just my opinion.

2) Everyone I know who has actually jumped a Vector 3 says they are bloody uncomfortable. I love flying my canopy and I'm not prepared to take the risk that a custom rig won't be like sitting on a pile of pillows. I'm sure others know people very satisfied with the comfort of their Vector 3, but I can only judge the testimony of people I know.

That said, skyhook is a great safety aid.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

) I don't like the reserve pin protector flap - the website says it's designed to stop it getting snagged, but to me it look like more of a snag hazard than on some other rigs. Just my opinion.

How do you get that? It's the most secure flap I've ever seen/used.

How do you get that? It's the most secure flap I've ever seen/used.

Some of the older V3s when packed a bit sloppy tend to have the bottom stick out a bit, giving a big catching inverted V for snagging.

I haven't seen it on any of the newer V3s (microns/m-series) that I've seen, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What Dave described is exactly what I was thinking of. It's just how it struck me when I looked on the website. Something still tells me that it's no safer than a straight tuck-in flap like a Mirage.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

So don't use a rigger that packs sloppy.
I do like the Mirage, Infinity, and Wings (also a tuck) reserve flap, but I still think the RWS is more secure.

But to the original question, I was sold on the Skyhook after I got to jump the intentional cutaway rig. Even w/ a highly loaded spining main, I still got a clean reserve.

Comfort is subjective, hence the "Sleep Number" beds. Two people can try on the same rig and one can say it is the most comfortable rig ever while the other says it is the most uncomfortable ever. Some of the rig comfort opions are affected by what size rig they are used to and what size they try on. I have never put on a tiny rig and though it was uncomfortable. Take someone that is used to larger rigs and let them try on a tiny rig that fits tham and they wil think it is comfortable, compared to what they are used to. They may find the same container, in the size that works for them (larger) isn't comfortable.

Derek

In agreement to Derek's post, I used to jump a Javelin Odyssey - undoubtedly a comfortable rig. When I got my Micron, I gave my Odyssey to a friend (he needed a better container) After using the RWS for a couple hundred jumps, I had to borrow my old Odyssey for a jump. I didn't feel it was comfortable at all, it felt loose and un-secure. I like a rig that "hugs" tight. Both rigs were built for me, so it's not a sizing issue. I like the stiff rig.

i have to agree with dave on this one. as i own an odysee and a micron. the micron fits tight and doesn't swim around on me at the same time being extremely comfortable. the harness truly becomes an extension of me. where as i love the odysee too, but without my chest strap cinched down very tight feels funny and loose on my back.

either way, i feel much more comfortable knowing the skyhook is back there. when i get rich, i'll get rid of that javelin for another micron.

just my .02-

edited to add picture... "what looks unsafe about that?!"

2 things stop me getting a Vector3 with Skyhook:

1) I don't like the reserve pin protector flap - the website says it's designed to stop it getting snagged, but to me it look like more of a snag hazard than on some other rigs. Just my opinion.

From Bill Booth's post in 2003: "...the tuck under flap on the Vector will not move upward in response to a door strike (or a foot) like the tuck down flaps on the other rigs. If your reserve pin protector flap can move upward, your pin can be pushed out, even if the flap stays "closed". This fact makes the Vector reserve flap much more secure. Also, the tuck under design on the Vector is just as snag proof as the tuck down design, maybe even more so, because it is much harder to accidentally dislodge. But there is another, even more important reason.

When you tuck the top reserve flap down into a pouch on the reserve bottom flap, the top flap must come out of the pouch for the container to open. When you tuck under, as I do on the Vector III, nothing has to come out of anything for the reserve container to open.

Airtec tests every new rig design before they OK it for a Cypres. They have had several rigs with tuck-down flaps total when bench tested with a Cypres cutter. These same rigs would open fine when the ripcord was pulled, but the Cypres doesn't release the closing loop on top of the last flap like a ripcord does (on most rigs). It releases (cuts) it many layers down. The drag of the top flap coming out of the pocket, coupled with the added drag of the cut loop unlacing through several grommets while both are being "pinched" by the pilot chute spring, was enough to total the rigs. Tuck down rigs work fine most of the time, but a Cypres firing, with a bad pack job, an old, weak pilot chute spring, sand or mud in the pocket, or a too long reserve closing loop, might add up to disaster.

I tried tuck down flaps years ago. They just didn't work as well in all the worst cane scenarios my wicked little mind could come up with. I don't know about you, but I want my reserve container to open every time, not just most of the time. But then again, perhaps I worry too much."

Looks like Bill even foresaw a potential Mirage problem that we have right now :o...

You can read this short thread in whole (lots of good info on reserve flap design and AAD cutter location) HERE: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=542700#542700

Blue Skies :)