Lisbeth Salander - Any Fans Here?

My guess is it will be good but different, much like the original La Femme Nikita and the later American Version that came out years later. Personally, I prefer the original LFN version and while I'll go see this new Dragon version, my gut tells me I'll end up liking the original more.

Well my prediction was correct. The American version of Lisbeth was a pale comparison to the original IMO. The original Lisbeth looked comfortable in the part and in the persona she portrayed whereas the American version one looked like a victim of a bad hair cut and dye job and came off more as an Emo kiddy than a Punker.

As for the movie itself, as long as it is, I still felt like it was rushed. The plot and character development seemed to be rushed and not as well done as the original film. Not to mention that there seemed to be a few deviations in the storyline from the original. It's been awhile since I saw the original so I will have to go back and see if it's my memory of all 3 films or if this new film took some detours as I think it did.

Overall, the new one is an OK film if you've never seen the original but I much prefer the original Lisbeth and movie to this new one. The Trent Reznor song was probably the best thing to come out of this film and will probably see lots of mileage in the new year is my guess.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The American version of Lisbeth was a pale comparison to the original IMO.

Eh, I was afraid of that, since Noomi Rapace was so excellent in the part. Still, my wife and I are going to see this, next chance. We've read each book and seen each Swedish film, so we are fans.

My guess is it will be good but different, much like the original La Femme Nikita and the later American Version that came out years later. Personally, I prefer the original LFN version and while I'll go see this new Dragon version, my gut tells me I'll end up liking the original more.

Well my prediction was correct. The American version of Lisbeth was a pale comparison to the original IMO. The original Lisbeth looked comfortable in the part and in the persona she portrayed whereas the American version one looked like a victim of a bad hair cut and dye job and came off more as an Emo kiddy than a Punker.

As for the movie itself, as long as it is, I still felt like it was rushed. The plot and character development seemed to be rushed and not as well done as the original film. Not to mention that there seemed to be a few deviations in the storyline from the original. It's been awhile since I saw the original so I will have to go back and see if it's my memory of all 3 films or if this new film took some detours as I think it did.

Overall, the new one is an OK film if you've never seen the original but I much prefer the original Lisbeth and movie to this new one. The Trent Reznor song was probably the best thing to come out of this film and will probably see lots of mileage in the new year is my guess.

Have to agree with Lou. I originally gave it a 3.5 out of 5, but after going home and watching the EU movie, I took it down to a 2.5. So many key details were left out, deviations from the book, and it wasn't nearly as intense as the original.

[:/]

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I think she rocks.

mh

Got totally hooked last summer, the writing sucked me right in by the second page. Read all three books in about four months. THEN, I just got the complete Swedish film box set for Xmas. All three movies, plus a fourth "making of" disc, with interviews, etc, that I haven't watched yet.

The films are pretty good. Even with the Swedish versions, there are some departures from the story, but nothing too major. I suppose that's the fate of any book being made into a film anywhere. The Swedish set does have a pretty good dubbed in English language soundtrack, or you can watch the original Swedish with subtitles.

I'm very leery of the American version, even though I like Daniel Craig. Looks like Hollywood formula is at work to transform Salander into a Goth sex bomb. Which is ironic since so much of the actual story is about the press doing exactly the same thing to her.

The complete Swedish box set is available at Barnes & Noble.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The Swedish set does have a pretty good dubbed in English language soundtrack, or you can watch the original Swedish with subtitles.

Do yourself a favor: the first time you watch them, watch them in Swedish with subtitles. Noomi Rapace (Lisbeth) is so excellent in the part, and the rhythm, tempo and delivery and of her speech pattern, as well as her inflections, really is part of that. I've got to believe that some of that would be diluted in a dubbed version.

The Swedish set does have a pretty good dubbed in English language soundtrack, or you can watch the original Swedish with subtitles.

Do yourself a favor: the first time you watch them, watch them in Swedish with subtitles. Noomi Rapace (Lisbeth) is so excellent in the part, and the rhythm, tempo and delivery and of her speech pattern, as well as her inflections, really is part of that. I've got to believe that some of that would be diluted in a dubbed version.

Oh, but of course ! Have already watched them through in Swedish, with the subtitles. The English dub really isn't too bad, but isn't perfect either.

Best English dubbed soundtrack EVER was for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They NAILED it perfectly !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I just watched all 3 films again and I can definitely say that the new American one just isn't in the same league. It's still a good story but it just doesn't compare to the original in so many ways that I'd recommend seeing the original film(s) over this new one.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Don't agree. I saw the US version a few days ago (I have seen both) and really enjoyed it, and I thought Rooney Mara was just fine - although I did think the Salander character was painted a little unevenly, appearing sometimes quite vulnerable and sometimes super tough.

My main criticism of the new version is just that it seemed a bit redundant, coming so soon after the original. I've liked just about everything Fincher has done, and I think he's a great director, but I'd rather he applied his talent to something we haven't seen before. I wondered whether he'd been tempted to relocate the plot. It does seem odd to set a film in Sweden and then have everyone speak English with an accent (apart from Daniel Craig, who didn't bother!) Speaking of Craig, it seemed as though they were playing on his 007 persona by making him the victim for a change, and also of course with the very Bond-esque title sequence. Couldn't decide whether I liked that, or whether it was just a little too obvious.

I could have done without the last half hour of the film. I actually thought it could have done with tightening up. Maybe that's because I didn't finish the book - unlike most people, I didn't really rate it - but also I don't get why people are so precious about changes to storylines. To me a book and a movie should be different, and it should be possible to judge each on its own terms without playing them off against one another.

Oh, I can't watch dubbed movies, no matter how well done. Give me the original performance plus subtitles any day. It's funny that some countries seem automatically to dub foreign movies - in Germany and Austria, for example, I've often seen Hollywood films on TV and have been really frustrated because they're all dubbed!

Overall, the new one is an OK film if you've never seen the original but I much prefer the original Lisbeth and movie to this new one.

This.

+another.

If you are too lazy to watch the the originals (far superior) then watch the 'bubble-gum' version and weep.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Overall, the new one is an OK film if you've never seen the original but I much prefer the original Lisbeth and movie to this new one.

This.

+another.

If you are too lazy to watch the the originals (far superior) then watch the 'bubble-gum' version and weep.

Same here, saw it in Seattle, to be honest, I thought that the yanks would water it down more than they did.
The rape scene was almost as brutal as the original, and that surprised me, given that yanks "bleep" out DAMN on YV:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Best English dubbed soundtrack EVER was for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They NAILED it perfectly !

Have to disagree with you Tom. I think the best, BEST English dubbed soundtrack was "What's Up Tiger Lily." Nothing else even compares.
:ph34r:
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Have to disagree with you Tom. I think the best, BEST English dubbed soundtrack was "What's Up Tiger Lily." Nothing else even compares.

Nah--"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

Nah--"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

I'd pick Mad Max. ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Well, my wife and I finally got around to seeing the English version. We were a bit skeptical in advance, since we'd heard/read all the comparative commentary.

We really enjoyed it. It was a lot better than were afraid it was going to be. For both the picture overall, and Rooney Mara's interpretation of Salander, we rated it a 4 out of 5 (i.e., 80% as good as the Swedish version).