cpoxon

Interesting new products from Larsen & Brusgaard

Let me rephrase my suggestion. The Protrack/viso needs to go beyond 119 seconds(if it doesn't already do that).

The Altitrack may appeal to some but I don't see it being widely adopted when you have the Neptune that is substantialy smaller and does the same thing as 2 of L&B's seperate products.

I really like the come back of the LED. I don't know why they dropped it when the Pro track came out. Seeing it again is like seing a good old movie make it back to the silver screen.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Absolutely, I just hope you can change colors. The last thing I want is to see a blinking red light, and not know if it's a cam-eye warning, or pull time.

_Am

Not a bad idea...passing along to Grafico to pass on to LnB.

different color LED lights would be great for us deaf skydiver as well as hearing skydivers.

Is there any color that would'nt work? A few of us were talking and it came up that people that are color blind might have trouble seeing Reds and some greens. Are there any other colors that should be avoided?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

. I couldn't find any prices on any of these new toys. Could anyone else?

L&B’s webpage states products will be available in 4/5 months.

BadDog already put these up on their site with costing.
“***Feel free to contact us if you would like to verify that we have this item in stock or to request additional information before you place your order. If this item is not in stock, it will be backordered.”

(I think I still want a Pro-track.)

Don't overlook the "small" print (it's actually the same size, but red) at the bottom of the pages where these new goodies are listed:
"This product is not available yet. Contact us for more information."

As someone already mentioned, L&B is anticipating 4 to 6 months of field testing before releasing these on the market.

Absolutely, I just hope you can change colors. The last thing I want is to see a blinking red light, and not know if it's a cam-eye warning, or pull time.

LED's burn out just like light bulbs, but the life of an LED is much longer than an incandescent light (3X?). So most likely, the LED is serviceable. L&B does not manufacture the LED. If you knew which LED they use, you probably could buy a replacement from digikey or another catalog.

L&B has wonderful customer service. If you want a different color, I would just ask.

I think with color blindness, they can see the light, they just can't tell the difference between green and red.

How about passing along data recording beyond 119 secs on the new models? I didn't see mention of it, if it's there disregard. The 119 sec time limit on the current Protrack has relagated many Birdmen to use their Protracks solely as an overpriced Dytter/ warning device.

I believe that's already been addressed, but will confirm.
-----
~~~Michael

Is there any color that would'nt work? A few of us were talking and it came up that people that are color blind might have trouble seeing Reds and some greens. Are there any other colors that should be avoided?

if you are colorblind it does not mean you can not see the light...just means you dont know if it is a red light...or a green light. I have had increasing difficulty with this as years go on. not a big deal, they just tend to blend some times with lighter shades of both colors.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Lifetime of LED's is typically stated in the 100,000 hour range... or 100 times the lifetime of a normal bulb. That's why LEDS are usually not servicable.
And in this application... I don't see anyone clocking up 100,000 hours skydiving :S Certainly not on a warning LED that blinks a few times every jump...

So, don't worry about the LED... It takes about 10 years of continuous use to burn out. You probably snagged and broken the cable many times before that. And if that happens, just stick a new one on..

I guess L&B could easily have used a two color LED in this application, that can shine e.g. red or green. (And with some trick, orange as well). But is it really necessary? If you're really worried, change the cam-eye LED to another color?

if you are colorblind it does not mean you can not see the light...just means you dont know if it is a red light...or a green light. I have had increasing difficulty with this as years go on. not a big deal, they just tend to blend some times with lighter shades of both colors.

Yup, but red-green color blindness is only the most common type. There are other types of color blindness. There's even a rare enhanced color vision posessed by some females where they can tell more colors that normal because they have cones that sense an additional spectral band (no I'm not making this up).

I attended the PIA Convention and the Altitrack will sell for about $299. They also will introduce Jump Track 3 software that will have interfaces for both Protrack and Altitrack and a host of other real neat features such as syncronizing your jump video with the Protrack, Altitrack speed graph, a better Gear Track program etc. I was informed that this cool stuff is coming out within the next six months.

I have to say this Stefan and the others from Larsen and Brusgaard were very helpful and answered all of my questions and those of other jumpers and had a real professional display.

I actually can't wait for the next-gen JumpTrack software and the AltiTrack. I might add that the new JumpTrack3 software is fully backward and forward compatible and is a real improvement with more features, better toolbars etc. I think you folks will also really like the AltiTrack also.

Chris