Nataly

Why I hate call centers...

There are SOOO many reasons, but chief among these is the fact that when I am pissed off about something, I want to speak to someone who is *responsible* for this problem and/or can do something about it...

I hate when that I pay a fortune staying on hold for AGES, just waiting for my call to be answered.

I hate when said call gets disconnected (after being on hold for 35 minutes).

I hate when you simply CANNOT select the option that relates to your problem, because there isn't one. Usually, you have to go through the ENTIRE recorded message just to realise this fact... And then you get disconnected... ARGH!!! >:(

I hate when I get re-directed to someone in India who barely speaks English...

I hate when the numpty at the end of the line has NO IDEA what I'm talking about (because they don't speak English).

I hate when they have absolutely NO AUTHORITY to do ANYTHING to help.

I hate when they are rude/nasty to me because their last caller was an arsehole...

And most of all, I HATE that there is absolutely no reason to be cross at *them* no matter how angry *you* are, because they are just some poor bastard trying to earn a living. Unless of course they are being rude. Rude call-center people irritate the shit out of me (even though I can totally understand how shit their job must be).

Rant over.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

You want to have some fun?
In the U.S. call the Veterans Administration to try to set up an appointment for medical help at the Rome, GA office...or any Atlanta area VA center for that matter.

Web page listed phone number:
(404) 329-2222
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

just an fyi, i work at a call center, i'm american, i speak pretty good english, and i love my job. i hate that you had a bad experience, but applaud you for being understanding of the fact that the person on the phone has nothing to do with what caused your issue.

most of the people who work here are very good at their jobs, but a few haven't got a clue. what i hate is the ones who call in and think you're an idiot. i have a degree in computer networking and over 5 years experience working on computers and i had an eu who called in the other day with a very bad attitude. she went so far as to explain to me that the icons on her desktop were shortcuts.

what a douche. i am here to help people and i truly love what i do. when i get people like this who are dickheads right off the bat, they are getting the bare minimum of my skills and effort.

thanx nataly for not being that douche!
http://kitswv.com

I've had a HSBC credit card for many years. They had great customer service and I got an English speaking person on the phone every time I called.

Then, I got notice that they sold my type of card to Chase bank. When I call now, I get a person in India. :(B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Double check your interest rate now. It's not unusual for the new holder to increase the rate buried somewhere deep in that 18 pages of crap they sent you with a 6 pt font. That's why I got rid of my USPA card the day I called the new bank when I found the new 1% increase. Told them to take it back down to the original rate I signed up for or I cancel the card. They wouldn't, I did.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Someone needs to come up with a "hall of shame" style webpage that puts the spotlight on any company that puts customers through call center hell. People could report how long they were on hold, how tough it was to get to the right person, and so on.

What steams me about call centers (at least the dysfunctional ones) is the fact that the people you get to talk to aren't the ones responsible for your problem, nor are they the ones who designed the klunky system that kept you on hold for a half hour. The bastards behind for the mess are out of our reach.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

What annoys me is I am pretty much the 3rd level help desk for IT issues in my company. When I contact a vendor's call centerfor customer support, the problem is usually very complex and far beyond the knowledge of the first two people I have to go through. I still have to go through them and answer their "What color is your carburator?" questions.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

i hate that you had a bad experience

ONE bad experience??! Jesus, I can't even recall a single time where calling customer services didn't result in me getting a massive headache... I avoid calling them unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary... Usually I try to call after I've had really unbelievable sex - at least that way I'm mellow and less prone to fly into a fit of RAGE. :S:ph34r:
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Just be glad you don't have to deal with that crap on a daily basis. [facepalm]

I have had to deal with that for years. Trying to deal with non-English speaking technical people SUCKS!

I am with you though, I hate most call centers. I avoid calling unless it is really truly required.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Holy fuck... I think I would lose the will to live (and have a very sore vagina!!!)...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Holy fuck... I think I would lose the will to live (and have a very sore vagina!!!)...

LOL!! There comes a time that sex isn't enough to deal with the stress! :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Double check your interest rate now.

I pay it off every month, so it doesn't really matter. I just use it for the free airmiles. My son is in China right now thanks to those! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I do the citrix and tech support for the call centers we have and am glad they actually listened to me when I suggested not to use an automated service.. I wish they would have listened when I said it would probably be a bad idea to open up a call center in India. Now I get support calls from India at godly hours of the night when I'm on call. You think it's bad trying to understand them normally, try it when you are half asleep. What makes me even more mad is they call in the middle of the night on the emergency line because someone forgot their password or didn't change it within the 6 days they have been getting pop ups about changing it.:S Or their link goes down for 2 minutes and ends up coming back up as I'm walking to my office to log on and check it.>:(

Hi Nataly,

Welcome to the Call Ctr Haters Club.

That last that I heard, Bill Coe, Numero Uno at Performance Designs had a req'ment; all calls were answered by a live person without going through any menu of choices and with a live person, you do not have to leave a voice message & hope that someone gets back to.

That is how businesses should operate. But IMO they have found that the 'make you mad & go away' works better for them.

Just my $0.02 worth of thoughts,

JerryBaumchen

PS) Back in the 60's I had a part-time job with Northwest Bell Telephone Company. Company policy was to get the customer/complainer off of the phone no matter what they had to do. Just make them go away; problem(s) solved. >:(