JohnRich

Movie: "Prometheus"

Warning: If you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want to have plot elements spoiled for you, then read no farther.

Time to brainstorm to figure some of that stuff out.

In the beginning of the moie, they show one of those giant white men on the edge of a waterfall. A spaceship is departing. The man picks up a small container of something and swallows it. He disintegrates into dust which is swept away over the falls.

What the hell was that all about?

It didn't make sense when they first showed it, because there wasn't any other context yet. But even upon reflection after seeing the rest of the movie, I'm still not sure what that was supposed to mean. It's bugging me. Someone give me a clue.

That is how "the engineers" seed life in the universe.

Some poor sap from their civilization gets dropped off, drinks goo, disintegrates and his broken apart DNA becomes the basis for life on the new planet.

From time to time (every couple of thousand years?) "the engineers" check up on how their "creation" is coming along, which is the explaination for the cave paintings. When "the engineers" feel life is progressing reasonably well, they leave their calling card giving you directions on how to find them. If they don't like how things turned out, they wipe out life on the planet and start over.

The stuff you can't explain, isn't the biggest problem; it's the stuff you can. Sadly, there are dozens of logic and plot holes in the movie.

Pretty though!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Someone should have clued whats her face in on how far a light year actually is and how far jupiter is. Her math was WAY off on that calculation.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Oh good lord, let's not go all science on this . . . no part of it actually makes any sense in those terms.

Like I said, a LOT of logic and plot holes. Don't be looking for much science in this fiction. Certainly not any science protocols when dealing with suspected alien biology! Wtf? Hey, science guy, keep your fuckin' helmet on ok? So maybe you don't give a shit if YOU die in space, but wtf are you doing contaminating them?

Also, I guess this movie sort of proves DnD/WoW goes away at some point in the near future. Don't any of these clowns understand you don't open a door, walk into a room or touch anything without checking if it's cool with everyone else?

Seriously. I was waiting for somebody to yell, "Leeeeeroy Jenkins!"

Perhaps I've said too much.
quade -

Seriously. I was waiting for somebody to yell, "Leeeeeroy Jenkins!".

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What I would like to know, how the fuck does an octo/quad? pus infects a person with a penis looking snake, and the end result is an biped looking alien??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That is how "the engineers" seed life in the universe.

Some poor sap from their civilization gets dropped off, drinks goo, disintegrates and his broken apart DNA becomes the basis for life on the new planet.

That's what I was figuring. The waterfall looked like that famous falls somewhere in Africa, and Africa is considered the source of human life on earth, so that fit. I was just wondering why he would voluntarily drink that goo that would do that to him. And the diamond-shaped space ship was entirely different from the horseshoe-shaped ones shown later, which made me wonder if it was the same beings.

So that inconsistency led me in another direction. My other thought was that this was still the planet where the biological weapons creatures were created, and the spaceship was the giant white men fleeing after their experiments got loose and started killing everyone. And that one poor sap got left behind by accident, so he committed suicide rather than suffer the fate of being killed by the weapons creatures.

Charlize Theron is still looking mighty fine. "10 minutes, my room." Lucky bastard!

Squeak: Thanks for those links - I should have done that reading before going to the movie.

I have yet to see it but have read much about it.
I hear it's a last ditch attempt to make some money any money off the Aliens movies......

Yeah thanks buddy! What started off as rocking then went to shit is now just a really nice looking 3d mess!?

Brother stop this shit and go and remake 2001 or better yet Blade Runner!

I think this says it all!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/06/11/review-prometheus-is-a-visually-stunning-epic-failure/
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I have yet to see it but have read much about it.
I hear it's a last ditch attempt to make some money any money off the Aliens movies......

Yeah thanks buddy! What started off as rocking then went to shit is now just a really nice looking 3d mess!?

Brother stop this shit and go and remake 2001 or better yet Blade Runner!

I think this says it all!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/06/11/review-prometheus-is-a-visually-stunning-epic-failure/

How about we get some new, innovative ideas for movies instead of remaking movies that were original and good to begin with? [:/]
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Well Blade Runner was not only a great movie but also a great book!
And it would be nice to know where the replicants came from!
And the 2000 series was amazing! Why not have 2015 and 2020
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Well, at least he's adding to his own mythology rather than rehashing somebody else's.

I mean, would you really bitch if J.K. Rowling decided to write another book about the Harry Potter world? If she wrote "Dumbledore: Year 1" would you think she was just trying to squeeze one last dollar out of a dying franchise?
quade -

Well, at least he's adding to his own mythology rather than rehashing somebody else's.

Exactly. And I think it's to his credit that he left the franchise alone for so long and let other people run with it. Meanwhile he's made a lot of other interesting movies in all sorts of genres.

Granted, he did repeatedly tinker with Blade Runner and it's debatable whether that was all to satisfy his artistic vision or to milk some more profit from it. But I'm glad he did in any case - I can't think of a single other movie where the 'Director's Cut' has improved so hugely on the original. I see he's talking about a Blade Runner sequel/ prequel too - that's bound to generate lots of interest.

How about a prequal to a movie we want to see?
Say Blade Runner?
And keep it real with a good script?

Good script....hum...2001 was very well written. Blade Runner just as good...with the voice over not the dirctors cut. Dark City was also very nice and let's not forget the very dark Event Horizon.
All were great movies.
Everything I hear about this movie is that it's swiss cheese [:/]

While the forbes site and the other one linked in this thread really trashed the movie, I found the following blog and the very many comments useful :http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

There the opinions are more mixed, and more importantly, people are trying to makes sense of what the back story is, what the logical connections are that explain what happens in the movie.

But it is still unclear to me if they are discovering what Ridley Scott had really planned, or whether it was all a bit of a mess with no logical connection and loose ends -- after which the fans have just worked out some sort of explanation that fits more of the data points from the movie.

I don't mind having to think a little after a movie to try to understand things afterwards, but then I want there really to be a logical framework, and not just a bunch of stuff thrown up on screen for which the scriptwriters don't really have a good explanation in the first place.

In any case, there's some good work on that link, trying to make some sense of things.

As a connoisseur of mediocre sci-fi films, I give Prometheus an A+ although I could've done without the gratuitous religious overtones.

Gratuitous "Creation Science" overtones; neither science nor traditional religion.
quade -

Good script....hum...2001 was very well written. Blade Runner just as good...with the voice over not the dirctors cut. Dark City was also very nice and let's not forget the very dark Event Horizon.
All were great movies.

You still haven't described script, only finished film.
quade -

But it is still unclear to me if they are discovering what Ridley Scott had really planned, or whether it was all a bit of a mess with no logical connection and loose ends -- after which the fans have just worked out some sort of explanation that fits more of the data points from the movie.

I enjoyed the movie, but was wondering the same thing. Was this always in Ridley's mind as the beginning of the Alien saga, or was it just an exercise in seeing what they could come up with?

All were great movies.

You still haven't described script, only finished film.

Sorry Quade, you are right. I shoudl say fully developed story lines.

See my problem is that I LOVE movies like this!
deep massive movies that make your mine open up and your jaw drop.
think dark city. But these massive movies need to be a full picture not just puff cakes.

Sadly though I have yet to see this movie i fear it may just be that....puff.

Ok, so now we're at least a bit more on the right track.

When people say "script" what they're talking about are the words written on paper (well, .pdf now) and the work of just a handful of people; as few as one, but maybe a dozen.

Finished films though, and this is especially true of films like "Prometheus," are the work of hundreds and hundreds of people. The director is responsible for some things, but not everything (which is how you end up with director's cuts later).

It's "fun" to bag on and spout critism about a film, but to me it always seems pretty unfair when people are talking about a finished film and they use the word, "script" unless they actually have a copy of it in their hand and know for a fact what was and wasn't in the script compared with what ended up on the screen.

It's like looking at a building that was constructed poorly and blaming the blueprints. For all you know, the blueprints were perfect, but it's the construction company who f'ed up building it.

On the other hand, I can almost guarantee you it's impossible to create an even mediocre film, unless the script met certain basics.
quade -

On this topic I saw the disaster that was Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls and thought it was decent. I then stumbled across an early draft script of the film online and wanted to go beat Lucas for not making the movie that was written for him. Minor changes but at the end it would have made for a much better movie. That is a case where the script was great but the execution was not up to the script at all.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com