GravityGirl

Gear Maintenance Check List

I'm putting together a maintenance schedule to had out with new and used gear sales. I have my tentative list with frequency, but let me hear a shout out from all of you consumers AND riggers. What would your list say?

Daily
Weekly
Monthly
120 days
Yearly

The idea is to have the consumer aware of how to properly maintain their own gear. Even if they cannot perform all the items themselves, they can assure that they are getting done.

I'ld like to bring it to the point of a booklet form with checkmarks for maintenance performed at various intervals. Kinda like a car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

There are also some items that are based either primarily on # of jumps (e.g. replace risers), or a combination of # jumps + time (like Cypres batteries).

I would certainly inspect risers on a calendar basis for visible wear, and "inspect" the Cypres battery (i.e. calculate its age and number of jumps) every time I get a repack, but knowing for sure whether I don't need to replace those items would require me to know the number of jumps on each item, therefore I would need to have made myself some logbook information on these components.

edited to add: plus soft links, if I had them.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

What is the expected span? I wasn't told they needed replacing at any # of jumps, I figured just check for wear.

-A

I heard they should be replaced at the same number of jumps risers should be replaced. I was told that was approximately 500 jumps. The reason behind this replacement, I was told, was that even if they aren't showing significant wear, as they get old they can have a highly increased risk of "sudden unexpected abject failure".

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

What is the expected span? I wasn't told they needed replacing at any # of jumps, I figured just check for wear.

-A

I usually replace slinks at the time of a reline. But you are right. It's something you visually inspect. Perhaps at the begining of every weekend. It only takes moments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

There are no official numbers about when to replace soft links, but since they are made of the same materials as suspension lines and are subject to the same wear and tear, I replace soft links every time I re-line a canopy: every 500 to 800 jumps.
In other words, I refuse to install new lines on old soft links.

"I'm putting together a maintenance schedule to had out with new and used gear sales. I have my tentative list with frequency, but let me hear a shout out from all of you consumers AND riggers. What would your list say?
"

Think thats a very nice idea. Would be very usefull information to people new in the sport (like me ;)).

"I'm putting together a maintenance schedule to had out with new and used gear sales. I have my tentative list with frequency, but let me hear a shout out from all of you consumers AND riggers. What would your list say?
"

Think thats a very nice idea. Would be very useful information to people new in the sport (like me ;)).

I would be useful to new people like you and most of the older, :S, people in the sport. Like me.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals