npgraphicdesign

F*ck you cancer.

Lost my grandma to it this past saturday...she would've been 90 on Tuesday. She had a rough last four months, and the last 4 weeks in the hospital were torture for her...both mental and physical. When I first went to see her in the hospital and she started crying in my arms because of the mental and physical pain and fatigue she dealt with, I just lost it. [:/]

They did exploratory surgery the weekend before last to see the tumor could be removed, but it was too late...too far spread. The sad thing is that the hospital staff committed several (proven later to be costly and significant) mistakes that delayed the surgery...and there was no reason besides human error and miscommunication by several 'doctors.' After the exploratory surgery determined the tumor to be very aggressive and fast spreading, it became obvious that it spread far more in the last 4 to 5 weeks rather than the previous 3 months or so. Had they not committed those mistakes...she may have still been alive. :(

But...all that it pointless now. Services were yesterday. She was an amazing person, an amazing mother and grandmother, and there isn't anyone like her. Love you and miss you grandma.

The photo is almost exactly from a year ago on her birthday on July 3rd, 2011.

Those of you who are lucky to have living grandparents, go hug them and tell them you love them.

My sincere condolences, my friend. :( My beloved Grandmother passed last Thanksgiving weekend. Just today I got an automatic reminder from Hallmark that her birthday is coming up next week. That tugged at my heart this morning. [:/] I'm sure you too will have those sad days remembering your Grandmother at odd moments, but I'm sure you have a lot of happy memories to cherish that will help you through the bad times.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So sorry for your loss. I lost my Nana on her 93rd birthday, this past February. I don't think I've ever felt loss like this before, it sucks and I miss her terribly! I keep getting automatic reminders to send flowers to Ellen: Mother's Day, 4th of July. It makes me sad that I can no longer send her flowers, but also happy that I always did - and she loved purple flowers. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family!
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Cancer touches everyone.
Great strides are being made everyday in the treatment/prevention of cancer. I'm sorry they didn't come quickly enough for her.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Have lost several loved ones and have a suggestion. Might sound stupid but find writing letters to them helps me sort my own emotions out. If can just seal the envelope and bring it to the cemetery and leave it there. Just a suggestion if you wish to try it. Hope your friends and family help you through this. Best wishes.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

But I'm glad you had so many years with her. :)
I never had any grandparents. They were all gone by the time I came along, so I envy you your time with her.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

My sincere condolences.
I lost my grandmother to breast cancer as well.
I hate the facking cancer! It sucks and takes the best of us.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ive just found out that my father has Lung Cancer, followed up by a call to tell me that my Aunty also has a form of blood cancer which is rare and untreatable. Nice news on your 40th birthday eh. >:(

Sorry about your loss :(

www.myspace.com/durtymac

So, I have read, re-read, written, deleted and re-written this. My absolute condolences and sympathies. 2 of my immediate family have beaten cancer (twin sister and half brother), and 2 of my best friends family (who were my surrogate family when I was a teenager) have died - so - it sucks and hurts. Oh and the platitude about time healing - nope - it just dulls the pain a bit!

Now for the sensitive part - You can choose to harbour bitterness about the mistakes made by the medical staff - and it will slowly eat you up, or you can choose to forgive and walk on. The question is how do you get the valuable lessons learned without being bitter? And this is not a rhetorical question - as I do not have that answer. Whatever you do, let it be to make things better for the next person.

Blue skies - and peace to your soul!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Yesterday was the 2nd year anniversary of my grandmother's death. She passed away in my arms. It's never easy. Grandmothers are special to us.

I hope that you find peace, and may your love for her make her live on in your heart. Cherish the memories, my friend.

Thanks for the kind words y'all.

Ken, I will move on and remember my grandma the way she was, but I will not forgive the hospital staff for the mistakes they committed. I come from a family of medicine (psychiatrists, dentists, bacteriologists, army doctors, etc.) and I've been around medicine most of my life. I've seen what a caring doctor/nurse/etc can do and I've seen what one 'little' mistake committed by someone who is 'just there to do a job' can do. The mistakes made were UNACCEPTABLE for someone who's technically suppose to care about their job and possess the knowledge to care of someone in a critical situation. My grandma had the patience of a saint and every medical procedure she's gone through in her while, she maybe complained once or twice. If she complained about how someone treated her or how some had to poke her arms 7 or 8 times because they couldn't draw blood from her, and in doing so caused her bloody blisters on the arms, then yes...I WILL hold that against them. And that wasn't even the worst of it. [:/]

sorry for your loss. may she rest in peace.

i lost my grandma not to long ago to cancer. One of the last things i shared with her was my AFF #3 jump, she opened her eyes and said lets see that again. Now every time i go jump i think of her.

i like to think she's watching over me this time say'n lets do that again...

Blue skies!
p.s. i agree F*ck cancer!

Suggesting forgiveness does not mean ignoring the mistakes of the staff or just walking away (if you read my post to suggest this then I apologise - it is not what I intended at all!) - we all have a responsibility to do the best we can - and we should all be held accountable to the highest level of service. And your task is indeed to ensure that the appropriate lessons are learned and mitigations put in place to ensure they do not occur again. But do not let this eat away at and ultimately destroy your peace of mind.