kallend

First Moon landing

I was 9 yo and living on Las Pasas way , Sacramento, CA. My dad and I walked to the Holiday Market down the street and had them make submarine sandwiches for the family. We also got big dill pickles from a barrel thing and I got a grape soda. Watched it on a b&w tv with my cat sleeping on top. Will never forget it. My dad was in charge of the propellant control valves on the Aerojet SPS motor. Still have a ball from one of those valves, it's about 4" diam. with a ~2" hole.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

This reminds me.......someone told me once that he had read that Collins and Armstrong were discussing what Armstrong's first words should be, and that Collins said something like "If you had any balls, you'd scream something like 'Oh My God, WHAT IS THAT THING ??!!??!' then cut your microphone off for about 5 minutes."

Don't know if that's true, but can you imagine the world-wide panic and horror that would have caused ? :)

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I was 12. The B&W TV sat in between the staircases on a split-level home with the old rabbit ears as the living room focus. We studied a lot about space in the preceding months and even had the requisite "space-theme" science fair. I built an active volcano with Dad's help. When the judges came to my table, one of them said, "There's no volcanoes on the moon." I replied, "How do you know?" They made notes and walked away. I did not get close to winning...

It was the same TV I watched Star Trek on.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This reminds me.......someone told me once that he had read that Collins and Armstrong were discussing what Armstrong's first words should be, and that Collins said something like "If you had any balls, you'd scream something like 'Oh My God, WHAT IS THAT THING ??!!??!' then cut your microphone off for about 5 minutes."

Don't know if that's true, but can you imagine the world-wide panic and horror that would have caused ? :)

Don

ROTFLMAO!!!
Oh, gawd, he should have done it!:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My uncle was an early pioneer in computer geekdom for IBM in the '60s. He helped design the Apollo guidance systems. We visited my aunt and uncle in Huntsville and got to go out to the Redstone Arsenal to see the assembled rockets before they were shipped to Florida for launch. He knew most of the astronauts, which to me was the coolest thing ever. One year all of his geek pals gathered at the house with this giant telescope to track a mission. We were there visiting and they explained all sorts of techinical mumbo jumbo to me, a then 10 year old. Those guys loved being a part of the program. And yes, they all had pocket protectors in their shirts:)

That never gets old.B|

As for me, I was about seven months old, so if I watched it I don't remember it.

I do remember the reading You Will Go to the Moon as a little kid, and looking forward to my trip there...
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

43 years ago.

Who watched Armstrong's first step on TV as it happened?

I don't know if Armed Forces TV had it on but I was busy doing someting else in RVN.

When I did get to watch it, I thought Niel Armstrong blew the line,
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I would have been four, going on five. I seem to remember watching it at the time, but given how young I was and how many times that footage will have been broadcast again over the years it's probably a false memory - or it was a later moon landing that I saw.

I do remember the Apollo 13 drama - we said a prayer at school for the safe return of the astronauts.

43 years ago.

I built parts fpr the Seismograpn that went with them . Its picture was on one of the US mail stamps later. Years later 1981 I toured Neil Armstrongs Museum in Wapakoneta Ohio 0n I-75 and saw the backup model on the second floor. It was the first of many of things I made ended in museums. Does that mean I am getting old?

43 years ago.

I built parts fpr the Seismograpn that went with them . Its picture was on one of the US mail stamps later. Years later 1981 I toured Neil Armstrongs Museum in Wapakoneta Ohio 0n I-75 and saw the backup model on the second floor. It was the first of many of things I made ended in museums. Does that mean I am getting old?

No. At least not until they decide to put you in a museum.....

But did you hear about the three Irish astronauts, who intend to be the first humans to land on the sun.

When told it is pretty hot up there, and they are gonna get all burnt up, they replied that they´d already thought of that, and were planning to land at night.......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....