jcd11235

Where are all the fixed gear riders?

Than 16%? It could be 100ft high and you wouldn't be getting up it easily.;)

???

16% isn't that steep if it doesn't go very far horizontally. That grade over a long distance would be very challenging indeed.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

???

16% isn't that steep if it doesn't go very far horizontally. That grade over a long distance would be very challenging indeed.

16% is steep regardless of distance.
Remster

It looks much harder than multi geared bikes but to each their own.

I ride a singlespeed, and enjoy it. But it's not fixed gear. I can, and do, coast. Riding in one gear isn't that hard. You quickly develop a very wide range of pedaling cadences at which you're comfortable.

I've actually considered piecing together a fixed gear bike, but if I do it, it will be based around a three speed hub.

As you, Krisanne, know, he's definitely not a hipster. He's a hard charging parkour athlete, very dedicated the staying in shape. B|

Well, it's been a couple of years since I've seen Brett. For all I know he's covered himself with tattoos, gone vegan, and started wearing retro glasses, mixed plaids, and knit caps in the summer. :D:D (Glad to hear that's not the case).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>16% is steep regardless of distance.

Yeah. But there's a 25% grade on the trail I usually ride that I barely notice because it's short and at the end of a long downhill. Now put that at the top of a long climb and it's going to be painful.

Whatever. You like a granny gear! :D

Actually, I have a fairly weird setup... Compact 50/34 up front, with 11-23 in the back.

Ugh!
No wonder you don't like climbing.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

???

16% isn't that steep if it doesn't go very far horizontally.

Then you don't know what 16% is.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Actually, I have a fairly weird setup... Compact 50/34 up front, with 11-23 in the back.

Ugh!
No wonder you don't like climbing.[:/]

It get me up the local hills, including Lemon. The only gear I wished I had sometimes was a bigger one (53/11) for the group rides when we get going in the 40s... Spinning at 115rpm is only fun for so long ! lol
Remster

I ride 36/18. It's low enough that I can climb the not-so-steep hills in the city with a load on my back (when commuting) in a headwind, but high enough that I can cruise along at ~30 km/hr on level ground without spinning out when riding for fun.

I am considering a Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickback hub, though, geared to be a little lower and a little higher than what I have right now. I've heard mixed reviews, though, so maybe not.

I've been riding with 53/39-12/25 for quite a few years, just changed to 50/34-11/25 on a far superior climbing bike. Round here I don't use the 34-25 much at all but when I do I'm glad I've got it:P

Still be tempted when Campag release their 52/36 rings though...:ph34r:

Exactly - it's bloody steep.

It's steep enough to know it's a hill, but unless it's long, it's not that bad.

We're going to be going in circles here, you don't know what 16% is.

I know exactly what 16% grade is. It may indeed seem steep to you. To me, not so much. On the other hand, to me, any climb that lasts more than 0.4 -0.5 km is long.

To me, not so much.

Haha:D What is steep?

On the other hand, to me, any climb that lasts more than 0.4 -0.5 km is long.

0.4km at what grade?

(It's just occurred to me that I may be being unfair here - you might ride your hills really slowly;))

0.4km at what grade?

Pretty much any grade. I'm used to short climbs and short descents. My commute has one particular climb (that's not steep at all) that goes for 1.5 - 2 km. That's much longer than other climbs I typically make. At half that length, it would still probably be the longest climb I encounter (semi-) regularly.

(It's just occurred to me that I may be being unfair here - you might ride your hills really slowly;))

My fun rides typically average 22 - 23 km/hr, based on start and finish times, so that includes stop signs/lights, rest breaks, climbs, descents, everything. I don't use a cycling computer out of principle, so I really can't give more precise numbers than that. I'm not riding a road bike (and I'm old), so I'm fine with those speeds.

I know exactly what 16% grade is. It may indeed seem steep to you. To me, not so much. On the other hand, to me, any climb that lasts more than 0.4 -0.5 km is long.

are you guys arguing the same thing here, Grade 16 is not the same as 16 degrees.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

are you guys arguing the same thing here, Grade 16 is not the same as 16 degrees.

No Squeak, we're all talking 16 percent.

And jc: if 16% ain't too much for you, time to get a racing license and find a hill climb TT ;-)
Remster

And jc: if 16% ain't too much for you, time to get a racing license and find a hill climb TT ;-)

16% over the distances that Ryoder referenced is too much for me. Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone who cycles regularly thinks 16% for ~0.4 km is challenging.

The only racing I do (or have any desire to do) is Cat. 6.

Well, it's been a couple of years since I've seen Brett. For all I know he's covered himself with tattoos, gone vegan, and started wearing retro glasses, mixed plaids, and knit caps in the summer.

Nope, same nice kid only 6'3", 165 and solid muscle. Those ones you describe are who he laughs at. ;):D

Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone who cycles regularly thinks 16% for ~0.4 km is challenging.

16% for 0.4 km is a height gain of over 200ft. Can you show me on a map any hill you cycle which rises 200ft or more in .4km or less?

While you do that, I'm going to head out for a few hours and cycle a bunch of unbelievably long yet extremely shallow hills. Or normal cat 4s, to Remster and Ryoder:P