Nataly

Tough to say no to a job offer...

As I have posted before, I am job-hunting at the moment. I currently work for a small company. Aside from the fact that it's part-time work (and thus part-time salary), it is my dream job. It's not perfect, and I don't skip on my way to work, but on balance, it's pretty great.

Trouble is, it's really fucking hard to make ends meet every month, and every month my savings (that I spent 14+ years building up) are closer and closer to being completely gone...

I just turned down 3 job offers because they only pay marginally more than what I am currently earning part-time... If I'm going to accept shitty work, I'd rather go back to London and at least get lots of money for the shitty work. But ohhhhh, how I wish everything would somehow work out...

Meh... If I *do* have to go back to London, at least I know I gave it a good go, and at least I will have had a couple of years of sunshine!! :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

If you like sunshine and moving around, look at whether there is a shortage of bean counters in Oz!

I have and there is, but it's a big (and expensive) commitment. I'm exploring the possibility, though.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

If you like sunshine and moving around, look at whether there is a shortage of bean counters in Oz!

I have and there is, but it's a big (and expensive) commitment. I'm exploring the possibility, though.
If you do that, you'll be closer to ME..:D:D Do you REALLY want that:ph34r:>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And the best part is: You will be able to kick Squeak in the nuts in person!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Try not to move before I get to Belgium next month. I need you to tell me where to jump.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Try not to move before I get to Belgium next month. I need you to tell me where to jump.

'Fraid I can't help you there dude... Never jumped in Belgium... In fact, I haven't had the means to jump for so many years I couldn't even tell you where to jump here!! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

'Fraid I can't help you there dude... Never jumped in Belgium... In fact, I haven't had the means to jump for so many years I couldn't even tell you where to jump here!! :D:D

If you dont make enough to jump then thats not a dream job
__

My mighty steed

If you do that, you'll be closer to ME..:D:D Do you REALLY want that:ph34r:>:(

Good point... If we ever did meet, you might come to the horrible conclusion that I'm not a dipshit... Then you'd have one less person to harass on here, and that's just not good!! :ph34r::ph34r:
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

If you dont make enough to jump then thats not a dream job

I said it's my dream job *except* for the lousy pay... :P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

The only job I've been offered in the past 8 months of being gainfully unemployed and burning thru my savings account was a few weeks ago.

They SERIOUSLY bottom dollared the offer, part time, across the city and working weekends. I didn't take it (can make more at the DZ during the weekend than I'd make there anyways)

My career adviser told me I should have taken the job and kept looking so I could move to another job as soon as I got it. He said there is no loyalty in the private market. [:/]

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Bro, that's hard... [:/]

It's a vicious cycle... When you're already working, you *are* more likely to get taken seriously... However, you don't have much time to job-hunt and go to interviews... Catch-22...

Hang in there... Try not to seem desperate (probably impossible)... Treat the job-hunt like a full-time job... At some point things will work out... They always do somehow.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

He said there is no loyalty in the private market. [:/]

Maybe there never has been any true loyalty between management and labor, but my dad spent 45 years as an engineer for one company (under 6 different corporate names). I've got 28 years with the FAA. My kids seem to change jobs twice a year, looking for that next step up. Companies almost seem to expect it.

He said there is no loyalty in the private market. [:/]

Maybe there never has been any true loyalty between management and labor, but my dad spent 45 years as an engineer for one company (under 6 different corporate names). I've got 28 years with the FAA. My kids seem to change jobs twice a year, looking for that next step up. Companies almost seem to expect it.

I'd rather be looked at as someone that waited for the *RIGHT* job instead of hopping job to job. I would think that would help me out in a prospective employers eyes. No such luck.

*Just* got offered a job for almost half what I was making and should be making...

We appreciate the time you have invested in applying with us. Unfortunately, your salary requirement is higher than the position will allow. Salary maximum for this position is $xx,xxx. If your application is incorrect regards to your last position, or the salary you will accept, please update your application.

[:/] pretty tempted to just take it and start job hopping till I get somewhere good.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

As I have posted before, I am job-hunting at the moment. I currently work for a small company. Aside from the fact that it's part-time work (and thus part-time salary), it is my dream job. It's not perfect, and I don't skip on my way to work, but on balance, it's pretty great.

Trouble is, it's really fucking hard to make ends meet every month, and every month my savings (that I spent 14+ years building up) are closer and closer to being completely gone...

I just turned down 3 job offers because they only pay marginally more than what I am currently earning part-time... If I'm going to accept shitty work, I'd rather go back to London and at least get lots of money for the shitty work. But ohhhhh, how I wish everything would somehow work out...

Meh... If I *do* have to go back to London, at least I know I gave it a good go, and at least I will have had a couple of years of sunshine!! :)

I think it's time to perform a cutaway and find a nice DZ job ;)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

My kids seem to change jobs twice a year, looking for that next step up. Companies almost seem to expect it.

Given you can double or triple your salary in your early years, it's tempting to move around... It's tricky to strike a balance and can be problematic on many levels... Most companies are forced to follow market rates when they hire new employees, but they don't adjust current employee salaries at the same rate... If you end up (like I have on one occasion) with a salary higher than your boss' boss, you can see how this might upset people (and discourage companies from promoting you further). Also, you gain a wide variety of experience by moving, but you also need people who stay, hone their skills and become experts... You need both IMO - the knowledgeable/dependable ones, and the ones who will inovate/shake things up a bit.

I'd rather be looked at as someone that waited for the *RIGHT* job instead of hopping job to job. I would think that would help me out in a prospective employers eyes.

You are making the mistake of thinking corporations use logic.

At a cookout on Memorial Day, I found myself taking to a guy who is the senior IT director of a well-known networking company. He was telling me the way to get ahead is to change jobs often. Later on, I looked at his LinkedIn page. Holy crap, he hasn't spent more than 2 years at any company in the last 8 years.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd rather be looked at as someone that waited for the *RIGHT* job instead of hopping job to job. I would think that would help me out in a prospective employers eyes.

You are making the mistake of thinking corporations use logic.

At a cookout on Memorial Day, I found myself taking to a guy who is the senior IT director of a well-known networking company. He was telling me the way to get ahead is to change jobs often. Later on, I looked at his LinkedIn page. Holy crap, he hasn't spent more than 2 years at any company in the last 8 years.

Now an exec at one of the largest mining companies around, an old colleague is the same: when he's been at the same place for 18 months, I start looking at what he's up to, and without fail, he jumps ships soon after.
Remster

Later on, I looked at his LinkedIn page. Holy crap, he hasn't spent more than 2 years at any company in the last 8 years.

Yep. It's offputting.

Theonlyski: you *can* take something - anything - in the meantime just to pay the bills... You don't have to put that on your CV though... When I first moved to London, I did lots of small/part-time odd-jobs that do not appear on my CV. I simply have one line that states:
"xx/2005 - XX/2005: small jobs while travelling / relocating"

If they ask for further explanation (they usually don't), I tell them honestly that I did a bit here and there just to pay the bills but they are not particularly relevant in the grand scheme of things.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

And the best part is: You will be able to kick Squeak in the nuts in person!:D

What better incentive is there than THAT??

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

morselen and schaffen is pretty much where ALL belgians jump.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

When I first moved to London, I did lots of small/part-time odd-jobs that do not appear on my CV. I simply have one line that states:

Do any of these small jobs involve a French Maid outfit?:|

When I first moved to London, I did lots of small/part-time odd-jobs that do not appear on my CV. I simply have one line that states:

Do any of these small jobs involve a French Maid outfit?:|

Now you've piqued our curiosity. Damn it. :|:ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban