Found a $50 bill on the floor in Winco this morning

Leave my name and number at the service desk and say " If anyone comes looking for some lost money give them my number.. " Done it before, They got their hundred dollar bill back... never heard anything about the other times... So I kept it...:P

Killler...

Leave my name and number at the service desk and say " If anyone comes looking for some lost money give them my number.. " Done it before, They got their hundred dollar bill back... never heard anything about the other times... So I kept it...:P

Killler...

Duh, I should have done that. Didn't think about it. Just turned it in to the front desk.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I like the 'keep it but leave a number'

I found £50 about a year ago, handed it into the nearest police station, it wasn't collected and I got it.

I lost some money when I couldn't afford to lose some money and it wasn't handed in so these days I picture me in that situation.
Jump more, post less.

I like the "leave a number" bit too. It's been a while since I've found anything more than a twenty. Smaller amounts aren't worth the hassle.

I heard a jumper one day bemoaning that he had lost his wallet with $2000 in it, something he did routinely after paydays. Sad, but WTF, why carry that much cash around? That's what checking accounts and credit cards are for. The only time I have that much dough is when I'm buying or selling something big. But I keep that $$ on a short leash, in an inside pocket or my safe.

At the Bent Prop in Eloy a couple of years back, I looked down and noticed a plain white envelope. Inspection revealed fifteen $100 bills. Told the bartender about it. Next day I had Manifest broadcast it. Simply said to "find me and identify the amount". Within the hour a foreign jumper did just that. I think that saved a significant chunk of their vacation.

Go to the local police department and turn it in.

BTW - Last July 2011 while in Key West, we found a wallet on the ground in the CVS parking lot near the Truman/Duval intersection.

I went through the wallet thinking I may find a hotel key or something like that so we could find the guy (before I noticed the wallet on the ground I saw the guy get on a scooter and drive away).

No hotel key so I Googled his name on my cell phone, found out he lived in Tampa IIRC and also found what looked like a home phone number. I called it and got an answering machine so I left a message.

Apparently, it was his home number, his wife got the message I left and called him to tell him I had his wallet he dropped.

So, he calls me from Sloppy Joe's at midnight and leaves me a voicemail. I miss the call so I call him in the morning so we can arrange to meet him (his picture was on his driver's license so we could verify it was him).

Well, we meet at the Banana Cafe in the morning. I'm inside ordering our breakfast and my boyfriend waits for him outside. Apparently, the message I left got him in hot water with his wife because he told his wife he was on a business trip but instead he was in Key West with his fraternity alumni. OOPS.

:S:S:S:S:S

Always be kinder than you feel.

That's funny that this came up this weekend, because i found $160 a couple of days ago in a shopping center parking lot. All twenties in a couple of piles. Stuck around a bit to see if anybody came back looking, but no one did, so I left.

I went to a local watering hole i frequent, saw a notice on the bathroom wall about a bartender who had a very premie baby, and the bar was holding a fundraiser for her. She was tending bar, so I told her I wouldn't be able to make the fundraiser and gave her a big chunk of it. She didn't want to take that much cash until I told her it was found money anyway.

Stray money is one thing, but if it was in a wallet, I would do my best to contact the owner.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

why carry that much cash around?

As recently as 5 years ago, enroute in my motorcoach to Eloy, numerous fuel stations in ID ad NV couldn't recognize chipped Canadian Visa or debit cards. This is a coach that runs up to $700 for a fill-up.

Similarly, Albertson's grocery store terminals in Casa Grande couldn't deal with Canadian cards until about 5 years ago.

Now place yourself in the shoes of a person from the former Eastern Bloc, or perhaps South America or Asia.

Additionally, SkydiveAZ has a pricing policy that discounts cash purchases instead of using charge cards.

Needless to say, I traveled regularly with quite significant amounts of cash & Traveler Cheques during my annual extended winter visits down south.

I defy you to explain THAT to an untraveled US Customs officer.

why carry that much cash around?

As recently as 5 years ago, enroute in my motorcoach to Eloy, numerous fuel stations in ID ad NV couldn't recognize chipped Canadian Visa or debit cards. This is a coach that runs up to $700 for a fill-up.

Similarly, Albertson's grocery store terminals in Casa Grande couldn't deal with Canadian cards until about 5 years ago.

Now place yourself in the shoes of a person from the former Eastern Bloc, or perhaps South America or Asia.

Additionally, SkydiveAZ has a pricing policy that discounts cash purchases instead of using charge cards.

Needless to say, I traveled regularly with quite significant amounts of cash & Traveler Cheques during my annual extended winter visits down south.

I defy you to explain THAT to an untraveled US Customs officer.

Also for us non Yanks regular withdrawals from ATMs incur fees, and exchange penalties. It's better for me to take out ONE large sum at the start of my travels in the States than to regularly withdraw monies as I go,or use C/Cards, as many places charge %age extras
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Also for us non Yanks regular withdrawals from ATMs incur fees, and exchange penalties. It's better for me to take out ONE large sum at the start of my travels in the States than to regularly withdraw monies as I go,or use C/Cards, as many places charge %age extras

Good reasons, both you and Aphid. But for day to day Americans it's not usually necessary. Some people just seem bank-phobic or resistant, and I see that as poor judgement.

I've been the foreigner taking a week's worth of euros/pesos/lira/francs from the ATM at once to save a bunch of fees. :D

Good reasons, both you and Aphid. But for day to day Americans it's not usually necessary. Some people just seem bank-phobic or resistant, and I see that as poor judgement.

I've been the foreigner taking a week's worth of euros/pesos/lira/francs from the ATM at once to save a bunch of fees. :D

Different strokes for different folks;) Poor judgement is a your opinion;)

Back in the day we lived from paycheck to paycheck and credit cards or ATM didn't exist.:o

Now everything is CC and we just pay the balance at the end of the month but sometimes dpending on the situation cash is king:|

I don't remember about foriegn currency but US money is nasty, B| I've talked with bank tellers and they try and wash their hands every 15 minutes and never lick their thumb to get a better grip on the money when counting it out.

I have a local bank that prides themselves itself by providing customer servise. We just call the vault teller and request brand new money fom the federal reserve, sequentily mumbered in bricks of 100 ea.:S

It's even come in handy a couple of times,

Retail cashier gives us change for a $10 bill and they have already put the money in the cash register. We were able to convinced the cashier we had given them the brand new $20 in their register and could even tell them the serial number since we had it's brother in our wallet.:ph34r:

Another time we were competing at the bang bang range the fee was $5/person they operated on the honor system :S and everyone just put thier entry fee in a envelope.

My Boss and I were competing and the VP of the range counted the shooters and they were $10 short:o
The VP appoached us first and asked us if we paid loud enough for everyone to hear.:P

Told the dude to look in the envelope and the 5 brand new $2 bills were ours. If he wanted us to tell him the serial numbers we could do that also:ph34r:

The dude looked in the envelope :$:$:$ and walked away with his tail between his legs[:ph34r:

Anyway Johnboy do you still have your brand new $2's in your safe we gave you for your b-day.10 yr's ago :P

R.

Yes I do. Crisp as new crackers.B|

The cash thing? I do remember not too many years ago grocery stores would NOT take credit cards. Cash or checks only. If you asked to use a credit card they looked at you like you were a penniless hobo.

And banks were often closed on Saturday as well as Sunday. So if you needed dough, you had to find an ATM, less common back then and sometimes out of service, or find a place that would take your check for a certain amount over.

So yeah, things have changed. :)
These days, with so many options to pay (one gun store we frequent gives a 5% cash discount when we use our debit card:)

Hi John

Does ea kid know which one is theirs.

My Boss only lets me carry $2.

But I always let her pay for everything via CC and tip in cash.

We were eating lunch at china first in the U district at least once a month for 10 yr's. always had the same waiter and he finally couldn't resist and asked why she always pays?

[:ph34r: I have people and I'm worth it. :D

R.

One Jump Wonder

Guy I worked with and I were at lunch in a burrito place in Denver. He sees a $20 laying on the floor, next to a man that was seated at a table. Keep in mind it's a very crowded restaurant, so it's going to be next to somebody.

So he picks up the $20, and hands it to the man, assuming it's his. He says "is this yours?"

The man takes it and replies "No." Then puts it in his pocket. :D

I figure the guy was probably a skydiver.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD