tharv17

Titanium Rod Removal

I have a friend who broke his leg mountain climbing about 7 years ago. He had a titanium rod inserted through his knee. He has no pain in his leg now and it seems fully healed. However he has a host of other ailments (primarily extreme fatigue) that he is attributing to poisoning from the titanium rod.

Has anyone had their hardware removed after their broken leg was fully healed?

Has anyone else suffered from fatigue after their rod was placed in their leg that never went away?

I have not heard of titanium poisoning and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing.

thanks for thoughts

7 years is a long time for a rod to try to be removed. Screws can be taken out when they are that old, but I doubt a rod. The bone grows around it. Mine have been in over 25 years and I've been told after two you couldn't remove them.
Some one here smarter than me can tell you more, but I think Ti and stainless are nonreactive metals. Meaning they don't combine with other stuff normally. So that's why they put it in you.
I have signs of fatigue, but its cause I'm old and had way too much fun. Maybe your buddy has that, or maybe he should go see a doctor. Its their job.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Titanium implants have long been believed to remain untouched in the human body, but modern research shows they do corrode and there is debris shed into the body due to mechanical wear. The amounts are low so that it took until now that it is possible to not only verify but also measure the actual amounts. See here
There have been patients with titanium implants complaining about certain conditions including headaches, burnout etc. See here (German website)
IF titanium poisoning is a topic there are several options, e.g. corporeal removal or removing the implant BUT this needs consultation with the respective consultant(s), lab analysis etc.

I have had a 10-inch-plate screwed to my right humerus for 9 years and haven't had any problems since. Wouldn't want to have it removed as it was a risky operation due to the kind of fracture (multiple, compound) and it took several months until my nervus radialis had fully recovered (paraesthesia, occasional numbness in thumb and index finger etc) so I don't want to take chances especially with all the additional problems due to the implant now being covered in bone callus... But everyone's problems are unique so I think your friend will need to consult with his surgeon - see above.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Not a doctor. But, rods can be removed but in 7 years the screws are probably completely covered.

Also, a femur rod through the knee may be very difficult to remove. My wide ha her removed easily 9 months after her break, but it was inserted through the hip.
Remster

I have one in my shinbone. that went in via the knee.
Though i had a quick recovery my doctor has stated that it's ok that i keep it there. And since the hallow rod lives inside of my bone it should in theory have some insulation from my body.
I dont' know. I have given it a bit of thought....and i'm not sure what i would do?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I have a friend who broke his leg mountain climbing about 7 years ago. He had a titanium rod inserted through his knee. He has no pain in his leg now and it seems fully healed. However he has a host of other ailments (primarily extreme fatigue) that he is attributing to poisoning from the titanium rod.

Yes. I had a tibial nail installed in 2007 and my ankle some times hurt near the screws until I had it removed in 2011. I also wanted it gone so that if I broke it again there'd be a weak spot in the middle where it would go instead of the joints at the end which give you arthritis.

Doctor's orders were no weight on it for two weeks and no cycling outdoors for four weeks after that.

Has anyone else suffered from fatigue after their rod was placed in their leg that never went away?

I have not heard of titanium poisoning and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing.

thanks for thoughts

http://www.fracturecarecenter.com/physicians/j-dean-cole-md Call this guy. He put a rod (titanium) in my femur 12 yrs. ago. Fine to this day. I asked him what would happen if I femured in again and bent the rod. He said he'd take it out and put in another. I believe he is the medical director @ ORMC (Orlando, Fl.) now. He's the best.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

thanks for thoughts

I had a rod in for just over 7 years. I didn't skydive much during that time frame as I was scared to bend it and have bigger issues.

I got it taken out with day surgery. I can tell you the effort to take it out was about 10% of the effort it took to fix the original trauma. It didn't even compare.

I was immediately weight bearing and it was about 3 months before I started beating on it again. I am glad I had it removed.

Mine was from a snowboarding injury.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com