Michele

Space Shuttle Lost Over Texas

Awful. Really sad flashbacks to where I was when the Challenger went.:(

Oh damn....then that makes this Deja vu for me. I was actually living here in Colorado at the time. (we moved around a lot when I was little so I was only here for like 6-9 months)

It's odd, cause last night I was scanning some of the photos and different things Derek got when he worked for NASA. I can't get ahold of him to find out if he knew anyone who was up on this mission.
Fly it like you stole it!

i've posted this on another thread that was started on this disaster, but i'll repost it here.

on behalf of the people of Israel, who also have a personal angle on this tragedy, i would like to express our shock and deep sadness.

to us, Col. Ramon was the first Israeli in space.
as far as i know he was well integrated with the crew and was accepted as an equal part of it.
and as such, and as a symbol of the cooperation between our two countries, i would like him to be remembered.

indeed, a sad day.
may we all learn and rise from this disaster...
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Yes, I don't think I'll ever forget sitting in a classroom, roughly in the sixth grade, proudly watching a the next takeoff. We actually had a former astronaut in the class explaining what was going on. We really didn't understand what was going on when it blew up, we weren't old enough to connect the dots between the puff of white smoke and an explosion. The teachers and the astronauts were useless, they were speachless. They were staring at the screen in shock, we were staring at them wondering why they stopped in mid-speech. Slowly, it dawned on us that something very badly had gone wrong.

I never would've imagined we'd be seeing the same thing happen again.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Like SkySlut, I was in class watching the live broadcast when Challenger exploded.
I heard about Columbia from the CNN Breaking News e-mail. Before I opened that e-mail, I was reading the most recent mission update that was sent last night, about their science research and preparations for landing. I usually follow these missions pretty closely, and although they never downplay the risk involved, it still seems impossible that something like this will happen.

The teachers ... were useless, they were speachless. They were staring at the screen in shock, we were staring at them wondering why they stopped in mid-speech. Slowly, it dawned on us that something very badly had gone wrong.

Yeah, I was in grade 2, and that's how I remember it.

Jan 27 was also the anniversary of the Apollo fire. 3 astronauts lost their lives in that.

Dan Rather usually has the best sources on this due to his passion of space flight:

The first speculation, before the NASA press conference:

One of the twin rockets, during jetison on takeoff, may have hit the left wing and removed some of the heat tiles.

The CBS NASA reporter says his sources in NASA say the last report from the shuttle was the tires on the landing gear in the left wing were reporting something wrong with their inflation level. They think that it also reported something with the left aileron.

Yes, this has brought the Challenger accident rushing back as well. I was in 8th grade, living right near Johnson Space Center (Mission Control) just south of Houston. There was a girl one grade ahead of me whose father was on Challenger. Living in that area of town it hit us very hard. We were all brought together to watch the launch, as well, and it is still hard to remember. I just can't believe that it has happened again. :( My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this tragedy. Still praying that nobody on the ground was seriously injured by the falling debris.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

the tech in the shuttle is desinged for a lower altitude
and a slower speed it would not of helped. the space shuttle was doing in excess of mach 17 at 200,000 ft
and were in a plasma ball of 3,000 degrees

(edit: typed to fast)
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

>One of the twin rockets, during jetison on takeoff, may have hit the left
> wing and removed some of the heat tiles.

So far NASA is reporting that a piece of foam from the ET struck the left wing; it's likely that had an SRB hit the left wing there would be no left wing left. That is a massive (and still powered at SRB separation) piece of hardware.

>The CBS NASA reporter says his sources in NASA say the last report from
>the shuttle was the tires on the landing gear in the left wing were
>reporting something wrong with their inflation level.

From the news conference, telemetry reported an out-of-range signal, indicating failure of the sensor or monitoring system rather than failure of the monitored system.

> There are still 3 astronauts on the International Space Station. If a
>shuttle cannot go back up (after the last disaster, it took 2 years to go
> back up), isn't there a Soyuz escape capsule?

Yes, and there is also an automated Soyuz cargo ship that can be launched to resupply the station if necessary. The original X-34 (the crew escape capsule) was cancelled, but the attached Soyuz is able to take three people back to earth in an emergency.

> And how long can they stay up there without assistence and support?

June with no problem at all; longer if they extend their consumables.

uh oh...this week was the anniversary of the challenger disaster.

Last night, before I went to bed, I was reading an article on the Challenger. When my roommate woke us up this morning, I thought it was a bad dream. It was certainly weird coincidence that this would happen near the anniversaries of Apollo 1 and Challenger.

Although condolences continue to pour in from all over the world including Yassar Arafat, I think it's notewothy to quote Tariq Aziz from Iraq:
"This is God's retribution, we are so very happy this has happened".

I'm not surprised....I'm sure there are many groups around the world celebrating that this happened.
Fly it like you stole it!