Michele

Space Shuttle Lost Over Texas

They've just found/confirmed human remains with some of the debris in TX.This is so sad.

Sad it may be, but remains are remains, and i am sure the familys of the crew members will take a little comfort in this news.
At least have something to bury now.....however little. [:/]

"This is God's retribution, we are so very happy this has happened".

Is there a source link for this? I mean, that's a pretty strong statement. Can we really attribute and translate it correctly? (Not calling you untrue, but so many things said these days are he/she said kind of thing...and no, I am not forgetting the reaction to 9/11).

Thanks, GM.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

27 Jan 1967 Apollo 1 Fire
28 Jan 1986 Challenger launch explosion
1 Feb 2003 Columbia reentry break up

Not a good week for space flight.

"If we die, we want people to accept it. We are in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Col Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom - Commander, Apollo 1, January, 1967

"This is God's retribution, we are so very happy this has happened".

Is there a source link for this? I mean, that's a pretty strong statement. Can we really attribute and translate it correctly? (Not calling you untrue, but so many things said these days are he/she said kind of thing...and no, I am not forgetting the reaction to 9/11).

I just saw that on NBC, too. I'm pretty sure the Iraqi spokesman made the statement in English, so translation isn't an issue.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was flipping channels on the radio on the way to the DZ and heard. Today is indeed a very sad day.

Fly free my friends. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and with those who must now deal with this tragic event.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Thanks, all. Wasn't doubting you. Just couldn't believe my eyes. Still can't. Well, only one thing to say to that: What a mutherfucking sonovabitch asshole. 'Scuse the language.

(May I suggest that we start another thread about this and let this one remain focused on the astronauts, news and condolences?)

Ciels-
Michele

From the news conference, telemetry reported an out-of-range signal, indicating failure of the sensor or monitoring system rather than failure of the monitored system.

The shuttle had also initiated a 63% banked turn onto the left wing to help bleed off speed right before this happened (source:CBS news)

The shuttle had also initiated a 63% banked turn onto the left wing to help bleed off speed right before this happened (source:CBS news)

It is my understanding (but I am no rocket scientist) that the computer programs design the carves which take the Shuttle's speed down. Does anyone know if this was a programmed bank or something else? And when you say "onto the left wing", what do you mean? As in it laid over on it's wing, or that it turned to the left?

Ciels-
Michele

Instead of thinking of it as coming in on a nose up tail down atitude when the shuttle makes it turns the nose turns to the side and the tips of the wings move to be even with the shuttle, its basically side slipping through the atmosphere at that point. Don't think of it as a nose points in a direction, plane will follow type manuver. There are a few preprogrammed in turns since they allow the shuttle to shead heat from spots that were getting hot and they also help to slow it. Msnbc had a really cool anamation showing this type of move (they actually showed it from the pitch roll all the way to the turns).

At this point they should have had the left edge high, nose pointed to the right type turn. It puts more heat and pressure on the left wing for a bit (accourding to ABC) but its quickly offset but the next turn thats to the right.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My heart goes out to the families and friends of the fallen astronauts, and indeed to everyone involved in the Space Shuttle program. I have, on many occasions, watched in awe as the Space Shuttle flew over my part of the planet. I sincerely hope the entire space program is not furthur reduced because of this terrible event.

>Does anyone know if this was a programmed bank or something else?

No way to know for sure, but the bank happened during the time that the orbiter should have been doing preprogrammed roll manuevers. (Bank and roll both refer to rotation along the orbiter's long axis.)

>And when you say "onto the left wing", what do you mean? As in it laid
> over on it's wing, or that it turned to the left?

Means most likely that the orbiter was rolling to the left i.e. putting its left wing low in relation to its centerline.

No way to know for sure

Can't they compare the programmed stuff with the real actual events? I mean, I guess it's too soon to know for sure, but yes, it's during the bleed the speed portion of the re-entry, and that is when the programmed stuff kicks in.

This is all so amazingly tragic and heartrending.

Ceils-
Michele

>Can't they compare the programmed stuff with the real actual events?

Well, yes and no. They don't have telescopes on the ground following it, so they can't say "we expected a 45 degree bank and saw a 60 degree bank." All they can go by is telemetry from the orbiter, and that was lost shortly after they began seeing the anomalous readings from the port wing sensor. If there was a divergence between commanded and actual (i.e. sensed by the orbiter) bank before they lost telemetry, they might be able to replay the telemetry records and discover that.

The orbiter itself maintains such information in its onboard memory, but it's pretty unlikely that any of that information survived.

>This is all so amazingly tragic and heartrending.

I feel bad for their families and their friends; losing someone is hard no matter how they die. At least the astronauts died doing what they loved, at the end of a very successful and historic mission.

Per press conference of emergency workers:

8 confirmed patients hospitalized with burns and breathing difficulties, additional 28 unconfirmed patients spread over three counties in Texas. Injuries came from being near debris or touching material. No-one was injuried by falling debris, and there was limited property damage noted so far.

It is said again: parts are toxic, and will hurt you. Do not touch. Mark and call local emergency workers. Leave scene immediately.

At least 100 debris sites located - from Texas to Louisiana. Pieces range from small fragments to small automobile in size. Larger piece may be in reservoir in Newton county in shallow water.

A helmet was found as well as some pieces of uniforms. Remains of some body parts have been located, and recovered, and remain unidentified.

Ciels-
Michele

>8 confirmed patients hospitalized with burns and breathing difficulties . . .

I hope no one needs this info, but here are the MSDS sheets on hydrazine, monomethyl hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide:
http://www.uslindegas.com/Web/Web2000/us/MSDS.nsf/NotesMSDS/Nitrogen+Dioxide+050/$file/Msds_050.pdf
http://www.hydrazine.com/hydrazine/Propellants/Care.asp

These are the most toxic fuels on board the orbiter. It normally carries 1100 pounds of hydrazine, 11,000 pounds of MMH, and 17,500 pounds of nitrogen tetroxide. Even near landing there will be a significant amount remaining in several tanks within the orbiter. All these substances are both toxic and hypergolic, meaning they explode when they come in contact with each other.

Hi guys. Yeah, it's a bad day here. I was going to spend it at the office anyway; this made it a longer day.

I have no insights besides what the news has; the software I work on wasn't running any more, so any contribution I would make to problem determination would be on the order of going for pizza.

The number of people who showed up just to see if there was anything they could do (including go for pizza) is impressive. Most of the people whose software was running are analyzying it just to pinpoint exactly what was happening in the software right before we lost contact. Not because we really think it might have been a software problem, but because if you're familiar with the background, it's easier to figure out what new data means.

I haven't heard anything inaccurate on CNN (well, except for the yokel who said he saw what looked like an airliner really close to the shuttle -- how embarrassing to be immortalized on CNN as a moron). Obviously there's plenty of incomplete speculation, and that'll continue for awhile.

Just so you think of a couple of things --

1. We remind people here regularly that we work on a national monument, and mistakes might make CNN. We care deeply, and not just because it's embarrassnig.

2. This is our fatality. Obviously we can't harness the press and tell them to wait until the analysis is done, but think about how you feel when there's a fatality on your dropzone.

3. This is an extraordinarily complex system. The crew knows it. And I'd willingly go up on a mission.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy, I may have missed it in earlier posts, but do you work on the Space Shuttle Program?

Here is a post http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=352121;. This post started shortly after Columbia launched I believe. Towards the end we were talking about orbiter emergencys:(

Just to add a friend called me this morning waking me up, to tell me of the accident. It took me a minute to actually register this was for real and I immediately recalled Challenger. Half asleep I was thinking of problem during launch, then when he said no, this was reentry I remembered Columbia was due back. This was even harder to believe, and I think I am still at a loss for words. Condolences to all.

oops, helps if you click URL instead of underline[:/]

Wendy, I may have missed it in earlier posts, but do you work on the Space Shuttle Program?

what? is your back button or up arrow broken? why not scroll up (or actually read the entire freakin thread) to find out? Its not like its a chat room where ya cant scroll back to see what was said earlier.
Generally speaking, its good ettiquette to read a thread in its entirety before posting, so you dont make a satement that doesnt fit, ask a question that has already be asked/answered, etc.

sorry, I guess this whole thing has affected me more than I realized. didnt mean to be so short.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!